Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

how to mount helix to a board...?

rudomat

yeah I was wondering about the screws too so here is the way I mounted mine. I cut two pieces of 1/4in. thick PVC sheeting material. One piece was 3 x 19in. This was for the bottom side where the footswitches are, the other piece was 3 x 15in. and that was for the bottom back part just under the I/O/s and connections. I used Double stick asdesive to adhere the pieces to the bottom of Helix and I attached Very strong Velcro to that and attached that to tht ebottom of my case. Worked very well!! I use the PDC 4100-G pedal case from Rondo Music. I've had it for yaers and it's very road worthy.

• Upvote 2

which screws can i take off to use the wholes for mounting it to my board...? anybody done that...? i´m afraid any of the foot-screws could hold somthing together inside...? ;-)

Be careful to leave a gap under the Helix for air cooling. I use a 410g from Rhondo also. I used strong velcro also. I built it up by using about 1/8in ply put hook on one side and loop on the other. Put hook on the Helix 1x6" stripes toward the front and back and a couple of 3" squares toward the sides. Did the same for my HD500 in the same case.

Be careful to leave a gap under the Helix for air cooling. I use a 410g from Rhondo also. I used strong velcro also. I built it up by using about 1/8in ply put hook on one side and loop on the other. Put hook on the Helix 1x6" stripes toward the front and back and a couple of 3" squares toward the sides. Did the same for my HD500 in the same case.

True, don't cover up the vent on the underside.

• 2 months later...

I went with the 3M dual lock as well (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OXK1AK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00). It worked perfectly and allowed me to leave all screws and the feet on the Helix. Just two long strips across and it's solid as a rock!

Did you have to incorporate any riser or build up between Helix and the pedalboard surface to make that work? I have a 24x12 flat board on order, looking at the various options. Was trying to sort out how to do what Glenn mentioned above, have no clue where to buy or how to cut 1/4" PVC sheet! I definitely don't want to add too much extra weight, or cover up any vents. I like the idea of that dual lock stuff, seems to be a better grip that regular or heavy duty velcro..

I didn't have to add anything as a riser and I didn't remove the feet. That dual lock is just thick enough to make a good solid contrast between the Helix and the flat board. I just long strip along the front and a long strip along the back. It was perfect AND it's easy to remove if/when you need to.

• Thanks 1

I didn't have to add anything as a riser and I didn't remove the feet. That dual lock is just thick enough to make a good solid contrast between the Helix and the flat board. I just long strip along the front and a long strip along the back. It was perfect AND it's easy to remove if/when you need to.

That is great, thanks!! I want to be able to have it stick reasonably well, but I also want to be able to remove it without a huge hassle.

How much did you end up needing to buy? Amazon just gave me another free month of Prime shipping, may as well get the DualLock from them. Is that Amazon link you posted enough, or need more? Guessing 10' seems adequate?

Cheers!

What other solutions have people come up with ? 

I hate duallock - Yeah, nice it is safe and firm - But you cant get that lollipop off again. It might have something to do with the "soft velcro" that is in my board from stock, but two small pieces on a pedal and it is a struggle to get it off. 
If you have two lines of this under a Helix i imagine, that it is very hard to get the unit off again. 

Kenny, that sounds great. Will you mind posting a picture if at all possible? I have a hard time visualizing the dual lock being tall enough. My flat board just arrived and I'm figuring out where everything will go and am having a hard time e sticking helix on there.

How much did you end up needing to buy? Amazon just gave me another free month of Prime shipping, may as well get the DualLock from them. Is that Amazon link you posted enough, or need more? Guessing 10' seems adequate?

Cheers!

One package was enough to hold it secure. I ran two strips on the bottom of the Helix longways and that was all (probably could have used four smaller patches on each corner but...). I tested it holding my flat board upside down and Helix didn't budge. To remove I just slid an old credit card in between the dual lock layers and started prying (gently so as to not damage the dual lock...) to get it apart. It's not SUPER easy to separate it but it wasn't too difficult.

Kenny, that sounds great. Will you mind posting a picture if at all possible? I have a hard time visualizing the dual lock being tall enough. My flat board just arrived and I'm figuring out where everything will go and am having a hard time e sticking helix on there.

I don't have any pix of it. Eventually, I decided that the flatboard and the case I had it in was just too cumbersome and I wasn't using the extra expression pedals as often as I thought I would to justify carting that behemoth around all the time. Now I'm using the Helix backpack and I'll just grab the extra expression pedal (or pedals) as I need them for a specific gig.

Just a quick note: my flat 12x24 Trailer Trash board arrived today! For what it's worth, the board is very, very light. It is made of wood, thin but rigid with 5 or 6 rubber feet on the bottom to keep the flat board off the ground slightly. The lift up handles are bolted through, and pretty minimal size, something like 3".

Just came across this video of a guy mounting his Helix to a flatboard with the dual lock.

https://youtu.be/x-XgSK0a44E?t=5m31s

(little bit of language for those of you who may be concerned...)

Love it! The Helix Channel, pretty sweet. Actually some really good tips in there. He makes it look too easy, proceed carefully.. Good tips though, with how he clips the dual lock together, sticks it to the board then presses the Helix down. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpJrfCxQmio6zyjut4n0qRw

Assuming it all fits, will post some photos later when it's combined with Helix, in the Mono bag.. For now, here's some pics of the Trailer Trash flat board; top, corner and underside. I am going to put some kind of small plastic or rubber corner protectors on the underside, something minimal and invisible if possible.

20160127_125337.jpg

20160127_125346.jpg

20160127_125434.jpg

Here is my solution - created with poplar available at any bLowes and stainless steel cabinet pulls from Home Cheapot.  I also used Velcro 2" available from bLowes.  This required removing the rubber feet so I could get a solid connection between the Helix and the board.  Added a Ditto looper to increase loop time and operate looping more easily.  Also probably helps increase DSP power by taking looping off board?  Not sure on that one.

I built this to fit in an SKB 49 Key hard shell keyboard case which I will be purchasing this week and will let you know how it all fits.  

post-1770446-0-60434600-1454172088_thumb.jpg
post-1770446-0-37260900-1454172114_thumb.jpg
post-1770446-0-58941600-1454172210_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had been using dual lock for the past several years with my helix, but i was beginning to have issues with the unit falling off my board in some cases. I decided to replace the six screws holding the bottom panel with 1" version of the same size/thread. Seems much more solid. For those interested in goin down this path, the screw size used is M3. Like mentioned earlier, i used a 1" screw to go thru the 1/2 pedal board that the Helix is mounted to....