Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multiple Instances of FX Blocks

a2dconverterguy

Firstly, I am enjoying my Helix and homemade presets... I am running preamps only and feeding the Left MONO out to a Fryette 50W Power Station feeding 2 Mesa guitar Cabinets.

The reason that I use guitar Cabs and a guitar Power Amp is that I already have all of these great guitar cabs and power amps and I like to operate my guitar amps in mono... That way, my experience putting a mic in front of a guitar cab is not lost and I hear what I'm used to hearing on stage. Also, with standard guitar cabs that are facing you properly, there is a larger sweet spot in the sound-field unless you are using coaxial FRFR monitors like Atomic CLR.

>>Here's a tip when setting up your sounds and levels... setup the Helix at stage volume at rehearsal or in your basement at home.<<

Even a few notches down on the volume control changes the sound so much. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is how I have set-up most of my presets...

Guitar> Pitch Harmony> Fassel Wah> Vibe> Phase> Tube Screamer> Preamp> Noise Gate> Chorus> Delay> Reverb> Boost> Output

Globals are set so that the LED Rings are Normally Off and the Presets Mode Switches are on Upper Row, with four instant Access Switches on the Lower Row.

You'll see in the below preset there are multiple instances of certain blocks... explained later on...

preset01c_fs.jpg

Three of the four Lower Row footswitches are combinations of Volume Boost / Gain and Delay

I have Labeled those Switches as follows...

Boost = +3 dB Volume Block to boost a phrase within a song

boost_fs.jpg

Gain-Boost  =  +1.5 dB Volume Block and Tube Screamer for Solos

boost_gain_fs.jpg

Gain-Boost-Delay =   +1.5 dB Volume Block and Tube Screamer and Memory Man Delay for Solos with delay

boost_gain_dla_fs.jpg

I need to access only one of these "SOLO" footswitches at a time, but, to make it work I needed to position 3 instances of Volume Boost and 2 instances of Tube Screamer in the paths since you cannot assign one FX Block to two different footswitches.

P.S. I had to add a second instance of the Memory Man Delay also; in case I need delay without any boost.

I don't think that there is any workaround for this, I just wanted to share how I did this in case someone had similar requirements... any comments are welcomed!

seeya

Joe

If I read your post correctly (I'm tired, so maybe not...), there's almost a workaround for that. We just have to be able to send several MIDI messages per footswitch. Then, MIDI cable from your Helix MIDI OUT to MIDI IN, and voilà.

For now, we can't, but here's a link to vote for it: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Several-MIDI-messages-per-footswitch/787480-23508

Waiting this, if by any chance you've got a computer near your Helix when you're on stage, you can use a software to do that (for example MIDI Bome Translator) that will allow to receive one single message and send back several.

You can solve the multiple blocks issue for the volume level by using the output mixer for your boost and controlling the boost level via Controller Assignment instead of blocks.

After you move all your path 1B fx down to path 2; you could create a new parallel path BEFORE your preamp; the route to that path and control parameters of your Tubescreamer settings with Controller Assignments as well.  Now you're getting away from blocks and towards controller assignments. The single delay can be brought in and out by setting the mix parameter to controller assignments as well.

So now your three switches are setup as follows:

BOOST: set mixer output level as controller assignment to boost 3db

GAIN BOOST: Set mixer output level to boost 1.5db AND newly created Split/A/B block on Path 1 to route to 1B where you have the Tubescreamer setup

GAIN BOOST DLA: Set mixer output level to boost 1.5db, route signal to 1B for Tubescreamer, bring Delay Mixer level from 0 to max value as desired

Now you're controlling everything with Controller assignments and not blocks. Set up controller assignments on the remaining switch to bring in your delay block with parameter settings as desired including mix from zero to max value as desired.

Firstly, I am enjoying my Helix and homemade presets... I am running preamps only and feeding the Left MONO out to a Fryette 50W Power Station feeding 2 Mesa guitar Cabinets.

The reason that I use guitar Cabs and a guitar Power Amp is that I already have all of these great guitar cabs and power amps and I like to operate my guitar amps in mono... That way, my experience putting a mic in front of a guitar cab is not lost and I hear what I'm used to hearing on stage. Also, with standard guitar cabs that are facing you properly, there is a larger sweet spot in the sound-field unless you are using coaxial FRFR monitors like Atomic CLR.

Hi A2D,

sorry to hijack your thread, but as an aside regarding your amp/cab setup....

I also use a valve power amp into speaker cabs. Mine is a Sherlock Signal Station 5050 (stereo) made in Melbourne by Dale Sherlock, and to my knowledge is pretty similar to the VHT/Fryette style power amps. I use full amp sims in my HD500, as I don't drive the power amp past about 3 or 4, and don't get any "gain" from that - it's got heaps of clean headroom. How does yours go, using pre sims only, versus full sims?

You can solve the multiple blocks issue for the volume level by using the output mixer for your boost and controlling the boost level via Controller Assignment instead of blocks.

After you move all your path 1B fx down to path 2; you could create a new parallel path BEFORE your preamp; the route to that path and control parameters of your Tubescreamer settings with Controller Assignments as well.  Now you're getting away from blocks and towards controller assignments. The single delay can be brought in and out by setting the mix parameter to controller assignments as well.

So now your three switches are setup as follows:

BOOST: set mixer output level as controller assignment to boost 3db

GAIN BOOST: Set mixer output level to boost 1.5db AND newly created Split/A/B block on Path 1 to route to 1B where you have the Tubescreamer setup

GAIN BOOST DLA: Set mixer output level to boost 1.5db, route signal to 1B for Tubescreamer, bring Delay Mixer level from 0 to max value as desired

Now you're controlling everything with Controller assignments and not blocks. Set up controller assignments on the remaining switch to bring in your delay block with parameter settings as desired including mix from zero to max value as desired.

Hello cacibi, 

Thanks for the ideas! Although I am not at the DSP limit,  I will make a copy of my presets and see if I can make any of these work.

I can see how FX block limitations are not a problem with controller assignments :)

seeya

Joe

Hi A2D,

sorry to hijack your thread, but as an aside regarding your amp/cab setup....

I also use a valve power amp into speaker cabs. Mine is a Sherlock Signal Station 5050 (stereo) made in Melbourne by Dale Sherlock, and to my knowledge is pretty similar to the VHT/Fryette style power amps. I use full amp sims in my HD500, as I don't drive the power amp past about 3 or 4, and don't get any "gain" from that - it's got heaps of clean headroom. How does yours go, using pre sims only, versus full sims?

eenymason

With the Helix feeding the Power Station and two guitar cabinets... it sounds just like the real amplifier!

It looks like you need a higher input signal into your power amplifier... is there an attenuator switch at the amplifier's input or a LOW input? Or, you could increase the level out on the Helix.

Another point; if you are using guitar speakers with your power amplifier, even if your power amplifier is very linear, you may find that you get a more realistic sound with the Helix cab sims off. (i.e cab sim response + guitar speaker response will be an addition of the two responses which will be exaggerated)

good luck!

seeya

Joe

eenymason

With the Helix feeding the Power Station and two guitar cabinets... it sounds just like the real amplifier!

It looks like you need a higher input signal into your power amplifier... is there an attenuator switch at the amplifier's input or a LOW input? Or, you could increase the level out on the Helix.

Another point; if you are using guitar speakers with your power amplifier, even if your power amplifier is very linear, you may find that you get a more realistic sound with the Helix cab sims off. (i.e cab sim response + guitar speaker response will be an addition of the two responses which will be exaggerated)

good luck!

seeya

Joe

I actually have two cabs as well, and I think I will experiment some more with different output modes. I have a Marshall 1936 cab with 2xG12-65s (it's a JCM800 series from around 1981), and also I bought second hand a Spider (II/III - not sure) box minus the amp section with 2 Celestion G10P-80s which have a flatter response. I will try using dual path, with full sims + cabs on through the G10P-80 box, and pre sims minus cabs through the Marshall. And you're right - I only usually have the HD500 output around 2 O'clock - I'll crank it!

Cheers for your ideas!

Regards, Ian.

Hello Cacibi, 

It was easier to use multiple blocks as you still cannot assign a block's single parameter to multiple footswitches...(i.e. you cannot assign mixer volume over two footswitches)

Thanks for your help nonetheless

seeya

Joe