Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix -> Guitar Tube Amp -> Load Box -> Helix IR -> Direct Recording

gnogtr

Most amp heads send a Speaker-Level output, which is in the ballpark, voltage-wise, of the AC outlets in your house. If you send a speaker-level signal into the Helix's inputs, which expect low-voltage line or instrument level, you will almost certainly kill the Helix, and possibly cause a fire or explosion.

So you would definitely need a box that accepts a speaker-level signal from the amp head, and sends a line-level signal to the Helix. Only then would it be safe.

Right, I'm thinking of the RockCrusher attenuator/load box.  My idea is to plug the guitar into the Helix, place some effects, stick a send in there that goes to the input of the amp, the amp then goes into the RockCruser and the line out goes back into the Helix and runs through any post processing and that goes out of the XLR into my studio channel.  

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Would this work going into a PA instead of a DAW (computer, etc.)?? 

I would want to come out of the Helix to amp head to rockcrusher recorder back to Helix at line level - add IRs or other effects and then go out the Helix to the PA.  Possible??

It would be connected just like a typical four-cable hookup, except instead of sending the loop send on the amp to the loop return on the Helix you would not use the loop jacks on the amp at all, you would run the speaker out of the amp into your Rockcrusher and the line out of the Rockcrusher into the loop return on the Helix.

It would work like this:

Guitar > Helix input

Helix loop send > amp input

Amp speaker out > Rockcrusher

Rockcrusher line out > Helix loop return

Helix main out > interface or PA/mixer input

Oh, and BTW most guitar amp speaker levels are nowhere close to household AC voltage-they're more like 20 volts or thereabouts.  But still enough voltage (and current) to fry components if you were to plug it into a line level input.

Oh, and BTW most guitar amp speaker levels are nowhere close to household AC voltage-they're more like 20 volts or thereabouts.  But still enough voltage (and current) to fry components if you were to plug it into a line level input.

What does this mean?? Will the rockcrusher take the amp load down to a safe line level to put back in the Helix??

Thanks!!

What does this mean?? Will the rockcrusher take the amp load down to a safe line level to put back in the Helix??

Thanks!!

Yes.  When no speaker is connected to the speaker out on the Rockcrusher it automatically becomes a load box.  There are speaker outs on the Rockcrusher and line level outs-the two are not interchangeable! 

Does anyone know the Helix Input Line Level Impedance resistance level??  I think I am asking the question correctly.  I was just talking with a friend of mine who is a sound guy.  The Rockcrusher Recording has a 560 Ohm Line Level Output Impedance.  I believe some other load boxes (Suhr reactive load) is set to 10,000 Ohm line level output impedance. 

What would the Helix's be set at and can I in the global settings adjust that??  My understanding (which is not much) is that for the best results you are going to want to match closely the output impedance with the input impedance. 

Anyone have any insight on this??  I checked the manual but couldn't find it.

thanks!!