Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV alt tuning Warble When I switch to the Alt Tunings

2015 JTV alt tuning Warble When I switch to the Alt Tunings you can hear a warble of the notes when playing as if it were set on 12 string or something weird. It doesn't matter which guitar model is selected. Do I need to send this back or is there a fix? Thanks

I have tried to attach a sound sample recording. But this forum won't accept it.

The most common explanation for this is that you are hearing the acoustic vibration/sound of the physical string, in standard tuning, as well as the processed/amplified alternate tuning. The amplified sound has to be surprisingly loud to completely drown out the natural sound.

If your recording is direct input to your DAW you should not hear the warble because the natural vibration is not recorded. A mic'd recording will capture the natural resonance as well so you will hear the warble.

If you still hear the warble in the DI recording then there is a real issue. If not, it's the natural resonance and there's nothing you can do about that except wear headphones or turn the amplifier up.

• Upvote 1

Alternate tunings are somewhat of a compromise because the strings and the guitar are vibrating at one frequency and the sound out of the amp is at a different frequency.  This affects feedback and as long as the sound out of the speakers dominates, it sounds good.  With normal tunings, everything is in tune so you get feedback interaction between the speaker sound and the guitar and strings.

• Upvote 1

I use the acoustic 12-string model in standard and Alt Tune to test and check

things like warbling, whistling howls and dual tone. Very handy that way.

Warbling,... pick-up height needs to be adjusted. Pick-up's magnetic field is pulling

on the strings in a way that warps the frequency a bit.

Whistling howls,... dial in the intonation a little tighter. Best to use a precision tuner,

like a Peterson brand tuner. 

Dual tones,... could be a number of reasons for that. Set-up, loose hardware and

such. Best take that in for service to narrow that one down.

Always a good idea to take the guitar to a Line 6 authorized service center, as they

will have access to service info, specs and testing documents. And you won't risk

voiding your warranty,... a win-win.

I think the OP was experiencing "perceived" warble/dissonance as described by silverhead.

I get this sometimes even with headphones cranked if the the chord of the headphones makes solid contact with the JTV body.

The warble cause by the mags can indeed be remedied with pup height/intonation adjustments.

AFAIK, these adjustments will not void your warranty, unless of course the Hubble trajectory is tangent to the orbit of at least one of the planets (but not all 5) in your 7th House.

(disclosure, I may have fabricated a portion of that statement.)

Oh crusinon2,... we're aren't necessarily that strict about that

with something like set-up.  ;)

It's just better than hit-n-miss or hunt-n-peck, than not having

the right specs.  :)

Dealing with pick-up/piezo combinations can be a trick for the uninitiated,

so I get a number of them in for service with set-up problems, because

someone got in over their heads.

No secret sauce, just better less problems going with someone with the

specs and procedures.

Rock-n-roll!

Oh crusinon2,... we're aren't necessarily that strict about that

with something like set-up. ;)

Then why go out of your way to hint at it? Even your rebuttal has built-in plausible deniability..."we aren't 'necessarily' that strict". This conveys no information, and allows for just about any interpretation under the sun.

Leaving yourself wiggle room is great for you, but it doesn't help anybody else. All it does is leave people who are trying to solve a problem, with the nagging feeling that they shouldn't touch their own instrument, or make even the simplest of adjustments that every guitar on earth periodically needs.

If Ford started telling their costumers to never check their oil or tire pressure for fear of voiding a warranty, they'd get laughed out of the industry, and/or sued into bankruptcy.

It's not about plausible deniability, it's about getting the set-up right on the guitar.

There are piezos and magnetics that have to live together on the guitar, and the

Alt Tune adds to the complexity, so it all has to be dialed-in a little more than the

average guitar.

I see too many come across my bench that don't need to. I'm trying to keep these

guitars from winding up on my bench unnecessarily if they don't have to.

So going with an authorized service center with access to service documents is the

best way to go. And that keeps trial and error to a minimum,... especially the error part.

Thanks for your concern.

access to service documents

I think I asked this once before, but did not receive a reply. 

Can you please tell me why I can not have access to the documents that inform me of the Line6 setup details of my guitar? I've got my 89F setup and sounding great, but I just don't understand why Line6 would want to hide their recommendations from it's customers. 

A straight forward, honest answer would be appreciated. Even if it is because the service centers have to pay for the service documents, I would like to know if that is the reason. This might not be my "father's guitar", but it's not the space shuttle or a matter of national security. 

Thanks in advance.

I think I asked this once before, but did not receive a reply.

Can you please tell me why I can not have access to the documents that inform me of the Line6 setup details of my guitar? I've got my 89F setup and sounding great, but I just don't understand why Line6 would want to hide their recommendations from it's customers.

A straight forward, honest answer would be appreciated. Even if it is because the service centers have to pay for the service documents, I would like to know if that is the reason. This might not be my "father's guitar", but it's not the space shuttle or a matter of national security.

Thanks in advance.

It's just like the Ark of the Covenant...a mere glimpse at sensitive info like optimal pickup height will melt your face. L6 may very well have saved your bacon....now off you go to an authorized service center! ;)