Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hooking to stereo and clipping

bhamnerky

When I play live i come out of the mono/left jack and into a DI and off to the PA. No problems there, as it always sounds great. When I am home most of the time I use headphones plugged into the headphone jack. But from time to time i want to play at home within the headphones. So I've tried my high end PC speakers and I have also tried my home stereo. In both cases I get what sounds like clipping on certain amps. In both cases I was using the headphone out jack (which is stereo) and going into the stereo inputs.

Would the headphone jack be prone to introduce clipping when trying feed a stereo? If so, how could I use the other fx100 jacks to hook to a stereo and make both stereo channels fire (even if they are playing mono.

It depends on of you stereo or pc speakers.

But in a nutshell, you can use either the FX100's analog outs or headphone out.The key is to keep the master volume on the FX100 very low to start and use your stereo or pc speakers volume.

For example, start with your pc speakers at ~ 75 max volume and the FX100 master at 0, then carefully increase the FX100 master volume.

The cables and/or adapters you need depend on the the inputs available on your stereo.

What model is your stereo?

It is a Sony. RCA left/right stereo is really the only option as optical and spdif doesn't make sense on the fx100. I could get a mono 1/8 mono male cable that splits into stereo RCA so that the mono signal out of the fx100 left/mono port could feed both sides of my stereo. Don't know if that causes an impedance problem that way. The other way would be to come out of both the left/mono and right outputs on the fx100 and couple those to a single rca on the other side. This would be true stereo into the stereo receiver. I would think in theory this would be exactly the same signal as what comes out of the headphone jack, but I don't know if they do some leveling differences in the headphone vs the outputs. The mono/left output is what I use on the stage so I know it works well with no clipping. I like the idea of the mono/left to stereo Rca bridge cable because it ensures that the sound in my stereo is still mono (even though it is playing the mono signal on both left and right) because this is how my stage setup is. If I use both the left and right outputs then I am getting true stereo and the stereo effects (like stereo delay) actually work. This sounds great in theory, but I would not hear the patch at home the way that it would sound on stage (which is mono and stereo effects are ignored)