Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Eb tuning

higs16

• 2 months later...

I have the digitech drop as FX loop and tried the whammy...

The whammy works ok when u have some distortion, cut some low eq.. and don't strum too much.... but clean or low distortion.. its very bad..... unless my machine is not working probably.... seems like others are experiencing  the same thing...

The digitech drop is totally clean...

I have the digitech drop as FX loop and tried the whammy...

The whammy works ok when u have some distortion, cut some low eq.. and don't strum too much.... but clean or low distortion.. its very bad..... unless my machine is not working probably.... seems like others are experiencing  the same thing...

The digitech drop is totally clean...

I was definitely playing through a clean patch.  Hrm, interesting.  I wonder how Glenn does it.  That's good that the DigiTech is nice and clean, I just don't want to drop more cash.  Pun intended.   :lol:

If you listen through the headphone output with headphones on by setting  "Simple Pitch" under ....( Pitch/Synth---Mono/Simple Pitch.)..to

Interval=-1

Cents=0

Delay=0

Shift Level=100%

Mix=100%

Level=0db

Shifting from E to Eb sounds right  when playing chord  but not through 1/4" or XLR

I just tried the Pitch Wham  and same thing  only sounds right through Headphones

Can't figure this out.  Tried again last night, and it sounded absolutely awful.  Guitar was in perfect tune (standard).  Tried going 1/2 down and...... ugh, horrible.

It's got to be First in the Chain. I use the Pitch/Wham.   Both Intervals set to Minus 1 and Mix at 100%

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Did something change with a recent patch? I have Glenn's patch and it seems that the pitch whammy is keeping the original signal and mixing it with the detuned. I have both toe and heel equal, position can be anything, mix 100%. Has anyone else noticed this?

How about just adding an option to control the volume of the original signal? Not just the mix or shifted volume...

Did something change with a recent patch? I have Glenn's patch and it seems that the pitch whammy is keeping the original signal and mixing it with the detuned. I have both toe and heel equal, position can be anything, mix 100%. Has anyone else noticed this?

How about just adding an option to control the volume of the original signal? Not just the mix or shifted volume...

You must have some unaffected getting through your preset somewhere. Can you post a pic/screenshot of your preset?

Whammy effect doesn't do it for me. Not very good at tracking multiple strings. I use my Digitech drop in effects loop until line 6 comes up with a solution.

But to try whammy, I set it to ...... Min value -1, max value -1.

I agree. The Drop pedal sounds much better than detuning internally with Helix.

I haven't really played the digitech drop pedal for more than 5 minutes or so at guitar center a while ago. I did my like how it seemed to darken to overall tonality of the guitar. I never gave it any more thought after this experience.

After reading this post yesterday, I tried the whammy thing on the helix. While it did not change the tone of the guitar like I previously mentioned, it had to much warble to make it useful in any situation. Couldn't get along.

I haven't really played the digitech drop pedal for more than 5 minutes or so at guitar center a while ago. I did my like how it seemed to darken to overall tonality of the guitar. I never gave it any more thought after this experience.

After reading this post yesterday, I tried the whammy thing on the helix. While it did not change the tone of the guitar like I previously mentioned, it had to much warble to make it useful in any situation. Couldn't get along.

I personally have not experimented with Eb tuning using the whammy as I have a Variax. Gangsterusa is pretty much an authority at getting this to work properly so I do not discount his advice to put this at the front of the signal chain. I do want to relate my experience with the "3-Osc Synth" although it may have no bearing on how the whammy block operates. When I first started playing with the synth I put it at the front of my signal chain as I assumed that was where it would track best. To my surprise placing it after a compressor and the amp/cab block actually improved the tracking. So Glenn Delaune (gangserusa) may be correct but it might be worth experimenting with placement and compressor settings to see if you can get it to track better.  Perhaps hotter guitar pickups/outputs have more success with the pitch whammy at the beginning of the signal chain and weaker pickups benefit from having the whammy block placed in the signal chain somewhere it can get a boost and a steady output level from a compressor or even after the amp/cab block.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, this is driving me crazy, how can I drop the 6th string from E to B, I am trying to play Shadow on the sun by audioslave, and I have a Floyd Rose so I cant do it on the fly, I dont have a variax so that option wont work, I have read that you could also use the pitch whammy but it changes all the strings, please HELP!!

1 hour ago, juanguns said:

Hey guys, this is driving me crazy, how can I drop the 6th string from E to B, I am trying to play Shadow on the sun by audioslave, and I have a Floyd Rose so I cant do it on the fly, I dont have a variax so that option wont work, I have read that you could also use the pitch whammy but it changes all the strings, please HELP!!

No pedal is going to be able to pitch shift just one string on your guitar. Even sophisticated pitch detection software along the lines of Melodyne couldn't do that. It can identify individual notes, but it can't determine what string is playing them.

As Phil said, can't be done with Helix... or anything else that I know of. And even a Variax with a custom tuning would be a stretch, as you're looking to drop a 4th, which which is a wide interval.... I'm not saying it wouldn't work at all...I've never shifted anything greater than a whole step with mine, so I'd hafta give it a try. But generally speaking the bigger the shift, the greater the likelihood of unpleasant artifacts. 

I guess most folks would just use another guitar set up with the required altered tuning ready to go. Easy really.

32 minutes ago, DarthHollis said:

Unless it's a typo, he's asking to drop from E down to B... don't think that thing can go any farther than drop D.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:09 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Unless it's a typo, he's asking to drop from E down to B... don't think that thing can go any farther than drop D.

Isn't the title of this "Helix Eb tuning?"  Then it goes in a hundred different directions from there.  Pick one. LOL

I saw someone else mention it so I chimed in.

40 minutes ago, DarthHollis said:

Isn't the title of this "Helix Eb tuning?"  Then it goes in a hundred different directions from there.  Pick one. LOL

I saw someone else mention it so I chimed in.

That is the title, yes... but this thread is 3 years old. The more recent request was this one below...dropping the low E to B... who knows? Ancient thread resurrections never go well, lol

On 9/18/2018 at 8:08 AM, juanguns said:

• Like 1

i am unable to drop my guitar a half step with neither the wammy o the simple pitch...i own the helix lt and i can always ear the original note mix the drop note ,even if i have the ''mix'' button at 100%..when i use the wammy toe is minus 1 and the heel is minus 1....help me !!!

2 hours ago, ianard73 said:

i am unable to drop my guitar a half step with neither the wammy o the simple pitch...i own the helix lt and i can always ear the original note mix the drop note ,even if i have the ''mix'' button at 100%..when i use the wammy toe is minus 1 and the heel is minus 1....help me !!!

Hi ianard73,

Here’s a preset that I made a couple of years back.

It has that semitone drop assigned to one of the footswitches.

Check it out to see how it works.

You can copy and paste the drop effect it into whatever you are working on.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/2031305/

• 1 year later...

"I just tried the Pitch Wham  and same thing  only sounds right through Headphones"

I'm sure this isn't the problem, but it wouldn't be that the OP is hearing the un-detuned acoustic sound coming off the guitar body...surely not!!

Just got LT (and Native) and am amazed :)