Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Have Line6 fixed the newer M20d?

Ya I'm considering trading mine in and buying a new one for the same reason.  Even if they haven't changed anything, it might be worth taking my chances that I get one this time that works properly out of the box.  I've rented units (while mine has been in for repairs) that worked perfectly so I'm hopeful.  If this was an automobile it would be a recall.  I love this mixer, and still want to own one just not the one I have.  I've had it in twice to try to fix the problem and both times it has come back without being completely fixed.  The first time was under warranty the second time I had to pay for the repair plus the rental of another M20d while mine was in for repair.  I don't think it's fair to have to pay for a known design flaw, the money I paid to buy this mixer in the first place should have bought me a working mixer. But since it is costing me money, time and effort, perhaps just eating the cost of buying a new one over and above what I get for a trade in will be worth it in the long run.

Bought mine when they where full price £1800 but got mine as a B Stock £1450.

Like you said it's a lot of money for a mixer with a inherent problem.

I did the tape fix and a warranty repair and just got it back from another out of warranty repair, I have the Touchmix but it's far behind the M20d for function and ease of use.

There is a store that does a 5 year warranty in the Uk that tempts me to get another. Just wish Yamaha would run with the concept and bring a Version 2 out with their unbeatable 7 year warranty.

• Upvote 1

Does the earth hum happen when you use the ~L6 digital Link to connect or just when using the regular XLR connections?

It's the channel cutting out problem not a earth hum problem.

Mostly the first 6 xlr inputs and the monitors losing volume and then banging back to full volume. Does it on the L6 link and the Main L & R. It's quite a well known problem.

Just really interested to see what the newer ones are like for the same problem.

Thanks

This is exactly the same issue that I have been having.  I've looked at the touchmix but to be honest one of the most overlooked and key features of the M20d is having digital, saveable trim settings.  The auto-feedback is a close second, and of course Line6 Link connectability.   Being able to save the trim settings and not have them get changed just in transport is HUGE.... All we have to do is make sure our personal instruments are at the same level (usually 12:00) and our mix is consistent gig to gig to rehearsal.  Playing in 3 bands this saves so much time and headaches... I just can't see going to a mixer that doesn't have this feature.

• 3 months later...

Quick update, I've now found a very good local Tec who applied a very weak glue to the ribbon connectors and that seems to have fixed the dropouts , Fair enough it took 2 attempts to finally fix it but it's been 2 months of constant use and alls still good. I'm overjoyed I've got my mixer consistently performing again ( My 1608 sits in its case now waiting!)

On a different tangent I noticed Thomann have now dropped the M20d from its pages, They normally only drop what's not available to them.

I went with a different mixer.  Had mine in for repair for this issue and they came back saying they couldn't fix my mixer and gave me a credit.  I'm in Canada therefore deal with Yorkville as the authorized repair.   I think the solution was fair considering I had the mixer in 3 times.  I did consider seriously just exchanging for another M20d.  I mean if fully functioning it's an amazing mixer with an amazing feature set.  I guess I just kind of lost confidence and didn't want to be stuck with another one that didn't work as expected.  I realize the chances of that happening were very low but still it's a lot of money and I didn't want to take the chance.  So I found another mixer with saveable trims in the same price range and went that route.  I'm kind of sad about it but I needed piece of mind.

Can't blame you going for another mixer after your problems, Nothing worse than it going belly up in front of a audience, I was very close on scrapping mine and like I said I already had its replacement but the M20d when working is so so great compared to the others, Getting one reliable working is the issue  :rolleyes:

Totally agreed M20d in design and feature set is a masterpiece.  If you are lucky enough to get one that works perfectly, I think all your mixing needs are covered.  In fact if someone asked for my recommendation I would say it's a great mixer just make sure to put it through it's paces while you are still within the return period.  As a unit, the M20d with the L3T and L3S speakers is just an amazing setup.  I think it would be prudent for Line 6 to speak to this issue, let everyone know whether or not they have identified and eliminated this issue.  If they could say every mixer manufactured after a certain date will ship without the problem, and there is a retro-fit (or whatever) for mixers manufactured before said date to repair the issue at no cost to the customer, I would still have my M20d and could recommend it without the caveat.

Anyway, I'm still very happy with the speakers.  The new setup is as close as I could get to what I had.  I would say the new mixer has a few features that the M20d doesn't have and is missing some that the M20d does have.  But as I said earlier, the save-able trim settings is an absolute must for me and I still have that so I'm happy.