Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Live recordings?

ivsaken

I just got a gig with a new cover band that currently uses HD500s. Of course now that the Helix is out there (can this currently be purchased anywhere?) I'm a bot torn on what to do.

Are the HDs "good enough" for now to get started to ease in and maybe get a Helix later on? I haven't been able to find any good live videos of people using the HDs. ANyone here know of some good examples to check out?

You haven't mentioned your own experience with guitar multi-FX processors. I think that's an important consideration because both the HD500 and the Helix will require a significant learning curve if you are not experienced with this type of device in general. In that case you might actually find that the Helix would be easier to dial in good tones tha the Hd500.

You also don't mention budget. While the Helix (I'm told) delivers superior sounds and has more power and flexibility, it is also 3x more expensive. Is it 3x better for someone with little or no experience with these devices (or in fact for anyone)? Hard to say, and very subjective.

So, if you are already experienced and have a limited budget I would recommend the Hd500. If you're new to these devices and you can afford it I'd say go with the Helix.

... And why is this thread titled 'Live recordings'? Is there something else we should be considering?

I agree with Uber Guru on this.  The only real advantage you gain in this situation is a better user interface for designing/changing presets.  But it's highly unlikely your requirements are going to be such that you'll need a lot of the more advanced features the Helix provides over the HD500X..especially at 3 times the price.

As far as using HD's live I'm sure if you look long enough you might find some videos of bands playing live using HD500X.  Many of us in here, myself included, use them exclusively for live performances.  But if you're new to modeling you'll have your hands full mastering how to use the features of the HD500X much less the more advanced features of the Helix. Given that your primary focus is on doing cover material, most of the demands in that style of music are fairlly rudimentary and the HD500X will hardly break a sweat dealing with them.

I'd say go ahead with the HD500X and get comfortable developing your workflow for how you'll use it live.  That's far more important at this point and you can probably get some good ideas of how to set it up and use it in live situations from experienced users here in this forum.

I just got a gig with a new cover band that currently uses HD500s. Of course now that the Helix is out there (can this currently be purchased anywhere?) I'm a bot torn on what to do.

Are the HDs "good enough" for now to get started to ease in and maybe get a Helix later on? I haven't been able to find any good live videos of people using the HDs. ANyone here know of some good examples to check out?

The PODs are just as good as they were a month ago before the world was blessed with Helix. There will always be a newer, shiny toy to play with. Doesn't mean the previous generation of gear suddenly sucks. Would I like to get a Helix? Yes, and eventually I probably will...but that doesn't mean that my POD doesn't cut it anymore. It hasn't changed. And if and when I buy a Helix, I'm keeping the POD for a backup...nothing wrong with those tones.

Hi 

I just got a gig where everyone plays congas but since they invented the guitar, I thought maybe I would buy a guitar to keep up with the times. Does anyone have any videos of big breasted women? 

Dude, regardless of what is available, they use the 500. That is what you need to use too. --- assuming that they all use 500's and share patches back and forth to make sure everyone sounds the same and can be sync'd with the midi gear. 

It's a totally different scenario if they just happen to all use the 500 but are still letting everyone program their own stuff. 

...I haven't been able to find any good live videos of people using the HDs. ANyone here know of some good examples to check out?

check out foll playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3b7kXW444v4OpNy_vQaMFL1K9nPUittG

many examples of using jtv+hd500-->PA  live on stage, with isolated guitar tracks (live from mixin console)plus dtailed analysis/description on each patch.

free patches included :)

Thank you all for the insight here and for the clip jandrio perfect examples I was looking for!!!! I'm a very long time POD XT user and still currently use it for home practice, so I'd have to say I'm very familiar setting that up at least. I'm trying to get the "feel" factor out of my head because a lot tube amps esp when poorly mic'd ones can have the same problem.

to post a youtube clip on here all you need to do is to copy and paste its link address here, as soon as you press the "post" button you'll see the video in place of its link..

I did it for you here:

I'm sure that sounds better live in the room also. Only word I can think of is a bit lifeless if that makes any sense. It sounds accurate, but just missing something.

I'm sure that sounds better live in the room also. Only word I can think of is a bit lifeless if that makes any sense. It sounds accurate, but just missing something.

That's because you are listening to 50 year old men do note-for-note and tone-for-tone, songs.  

It's like going to see Rocky Horror on Broadway vs the movie. Some of those professionals lose 'life' because they are so precise with what they are doing. 

Haven't you ever gone to see a revue? Or bought an album from The Countdown Singers? 

Every note is so perfect. But, it sounds awful. 

That's because you are listening to 50 year old men do note-for-note and tone-for-tone, songs.  

It's like going to see Rocky Horror on Broadway vs the movie. Some of those professionals lose 'life' because they are so precise with what they are doing. 

Haven't you ever gone to see a revue? Or bought an album from The Countdown Singers? 

Every note is so perfect. But, it sounds awful. 

Ha so true, that might be what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen great bands live and their recordings didn't do them justice.  I've seen it the other way around too.

Which is why I am ok with KISS altering their live recordings in the studio. 

Live doesn't always represent itself well on tape. And tape (in the case of Katy Perry) does not always work well live. 

Which is why I am ok with KISS altering their live recordings in the studio. 

Live doesn't always represent itself well on tape. And tape (in the case of Katy Perry) does not always work well live. 

Well said! A lot of my struggle is "what is a live guitar supposed to sound like?" Only things I can really try to focus on is I guess what I would call harshness and trying to get rid of it without sacrificing dynamics. 

Well said! A lot of my struggle is "what is a live guitar supposed to sound like?" Only things I can really try to focus on is I guess what I would call harshness and trying to get rid of it without sacrificing dynamics. 

That is a problem many people have. 

They are used to hearing their guitar amp - which then gets mic'd and played through a pa. They don't get to hear the mic'd pa sound, which means they don't know that it is to sound like a mic'd pa sound. 

And that is a big issue with some modelers because they don't give "guitar amp" sound. They give that final sound, that 'guitar amp mic'd coming through a pa' sound. Then people say "it doesn't sound real". No, it wouldn't, not if you are listening for the pre-mic'd sound.