Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie questions

iriusman

Hi, my Variax Standard finally arrived, and lovely it is. The manual, though, is astonishingly unhelpful. I worked out how to connect the device by USB (couldn't find a single instruction on the subject in the manual), what software I needed to download (Line6 Monkey. Wouldn't have been too hard to mention that, would it?) But Workbench won't install, because it appears it's not compatible with Mac OSX systems beyond Mountain Lion, and I'm running El Capitan. I did download Workbench HD. Is that the software I should be using? It refuses to recognise the guitar when it's plugged in via the USB interface, though Line6 Monkey seemed to find it all right. Can anyone help?

Well, I submitted a support ticket, and finally worked it out. You do use Workbench HD. You have to plug in both the USB connector and a jack plug, into the guitar and turn on the modelling switch, for Workbench HD to 'see' it.  Line6 Monkey works fine on my El Capitan.

Not completely intuitive.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I submitted a support ticket, and finally worked it out. You do use Workbench HD. You have to plug in both the USB connector and a jack plug, into the guitar and turn on the modelling switch, for Workbench HD to 'see' it.  Line6 Monkey works fine on my El Capitan.

Not completely intuitive.

I was told that Workbench won't run on El Capitan. Were you able to get it installed? I didn't have Workbench installed before I upgraded to El Capitan. When I try to install Workbench on El Capitan, I get an message that the OS isn't supported. Line6 support confirmed Workbench is not currently supported on El Capitan. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have Line 6 Monkey and Workbench HD installed on Mac OS X 10.11.4 and they seem to be running. I have the Variax USB interface plugged in and there's a green light on the USB side. I have the VDI cable plugged into the guitar, and a 1/4" cable to turn on the battery, and have pressed the Guitar Model Switch and see the LED lit up (in red).

But The Variax USB interface flashes read on the guitar side, and the guitar won't connect in Workbench HD or show up as selectable in Line 6 Monkey. 

Any ideas?

I have Line 6 Monkey and Workbench HD installed on Mac OS X 10.11.4 and they seem to be running. I have the Variax USB interface plugged in and there's a green light on the USB side. I have the VDI cable plugged into the guitar, and a 1/4" cable to turn on the battery, and have pressed the Guitar Model Switch and see the LED lit up (in red).

But The Variax USB interface flashes read on the guitar side, and the guitar won't connect in Workbench HD or show up as selectable in Line 6 Monkey.

Any ideas?

That stupid dongle is a royal pain in the a$$...do you have a POD? I've always had better luck connecting through that. Just got everything up and running on a new macbook with 10.11.4, no issues.

When I have used the dongle, I always had to connect to Monkey first. As long as that worked, Workbench would then recognize the guitar. Going straight to Workbench never seemed to work. Who knows why. .

Hi Iknowathingortwo,

You have to have a 1/4" guitar cable plugged into the guitar's output. (It doesn't need to be connected to anything at the other end.  All it does is switch on the guitar's electronics.   It's just a battery saving feature...the same as some stomp pedals)