Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So why is it taking sooooo long for Helix to be readily Available.

lefttygtr

So we were told by the end of the summer which turned into the end of Oct and some of those who pre-ordered way back in June got there unit. Now we are waiting again Guitar Center just pushed back to 12-11-15. So was Line6 not ready from a production point or are there problems with production, where was the ball dropped this is ridiculous.

So we were told by the end of the summer which turned into the end of Oct and some of those who pre-ordered way back in June got there unit. Now we are waiting again Guitar Center just pushed back to 12-11-15. So was Line6 not ready from a production point or are there problems with production, where was the ball dropped this is ridiculous.

This is normal for every company. No dropping of the ball. Production has ramp up times. Try being one of the first people to get an Apple product. I realise you're probably anxious like a kid at Chrsitmas to get yours, but this is bog-standard production releases of any new product for any company. And no, it's not ridiculous, it's entirely normal.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but no it is not normal and production ramp up should have taking place BEFORE the release date. Speaking of Apple products when they announce the release date it gets released that day and the last couple of times I went to get a new iPhone I got it that day. I work in the manufacturing, production workplace and yes problems do happen but we have always ramped up way before the actual ship date so as to be ready for any problem that may come down the pipe line. It just does not say too much for line6 to put out a product that from many forums was so hyped and many people were ready to buy that day now to have a possible ship date pushed back into December. I will go out on a limb and say that the December date gets pushed back into January possibly February. I would rather line6 just come out and say hey we are having production issues instead of being fed lines like it is normal for this and ramp up time, etc.

• Upvote 1

We were told the end of summer and the official end of summer IS in late October.  They only missed it by a few days.  The 1st production run obviously sold out so companies got an equal percentage of their pre-orders.  I ordered from Sweetwater at the beginning of July and got one from the first batch of Sweetwater units.

I've heard almost nothing but bad things about GC and MF regarding them feeding people a bunch of BS excuses and pushing back dates.

Sorry but no it is not normal and production ramp up should have taking place BEFORE the release date. Speaking of Apple products when they announce the release date it gets released that day and the last couple of times I went to get a new iPhone I got it that day. I work in the manufacturing, production workplace and yes problems do happen but we have always ramped up way before the actual ship date so as to be ready for any problem that may come down the pipe line. It just does not say too much for line6 to put out a product that from many forums was so hyped and many people were ready to buy that day now to have a possible ship date pushed back into December. I will go out on a limb and say that the December date gets pushed back into January possibly February. I would rather line6 just come out and say hey we are having production issues instead of being fed lines like it is normal for this and ramp up time, etc.

Sorry, but yes, it is extremely normal. I do not work for Line 6, but this is perfectly normal across all industries for all types of products. Your rant against Line 6 in this case is misplaced.

Here's just 1 example from Apple this year:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/06/04Apple-Watch-Arrives-in-Seven-More-Countries-June-26.html

• Upvote 1

Forgive the pun, but you're comparing apples and oranges. If L6 had Apple's reach and resources, we wouldn't be having this conversation. They're just a few iThings shy of planting a flag, annexing Cupertino, CA, and becoming their own country ;). They release new products on a fairly regular schedule to a customer base that numbers in the tens of millions worldwide. Legions of the tech-obsessed pitch tents outside their stores days ahead of time...foregoing bathing, sustenance, and indoor plumbing...to buy a friggin' phone. Boggles the mind, but I digress. By comparison, the average schmuck walking the street has never heard of L6 or Helix. So who's gonna warehouse more product ahead of time?

Expecting the same kind of roll-out from a company the size of L6 will leave you chronically disappointed...its easier to find a pearl in a pig's ear.

• Upvote 1

I had hoped that Yamaha's backing would help Line 6 keep the pipeline full during the initial release period.

With tech-based products like Helix, there's a limited period of time before the next release is likely to offer greater benefits than the outgoing product. With the relatively high cost of the Helix, getting one as soon as possible allows for more months of use and amortization before the next version ups the ante.

Meanwhile, while I impatiently wait for my Helix order to be filled, I keep looking for alternatives. Maybe there's a better way to spend my Helix budget.

I got mine mid oct., so no complaints here! Just anally pointing out that the "end of summer" is late September, not late Oct! :)

Yep, my bad.   Late September.  Still I remember them only missing it by a couple of days.

• Upvote 1

So now we have ship dates 12-18-15 this is getting worse every day, I guess it is still a ramp up problem, LOL. If it is maybe you need to find a new company to make the device because they one you have sucks. Sure eventually it will be available but thats not the point, the point is Line 6 had a product that was going to change things, hyped to the moon and announced in June. Now here we are in mid Nov and nothing but promises. It does not say much for a company that they can't give a straight answer or have all there ducks in a row and be ready for full production.

The issue is that companies make their first run based on what they see as the market demand for these things.  They go into Guitar Center and GC says I'll take 150 and Sweetwater says I'll take 250, assuming that is all the orders they get, they will make the first run at 500 to leave themselves a little stock. (understand I'm greatly simplifying here)

Well, if 400 people come into GC and 600 come to SW, guess who doesn't have enough to meet demand?  They give out their extra padding that they made and crank out more.  Margins are too thin in this economy for anyone (Yamaha included) to sit on massive amounts of inventory.  L6 took a calculated risk delivering something at this price point to the market and they can only go by what they have orders for.  Unfortunately we are in a mode where "Lean Manufacturing" is the watchword.  Inventory is delivered just as it is needed.  Can't have it sitting around.  We may not like it that the retailers grossly under-anticipated demand but it is what it is!  Can't really blame the retailers either as they couldn't risk hundreds of $1500 devices sitting on their shelves unsold.  Everyone is careful these days.

• Upvote 2

So now we have ship dates 12-18-15 this is getting worse every day, I guess it is still a ramp up problem, LOL. If it is maybe you need to find a new company to make the device because they one you have sucks. Sure eventually it will be available but thats not the point, the point is Line 6 had a product that was going to change things, hyped to the moon and announced in June. Now here we are in mid Nov and nothing but promises. It does not say much for a company that they can't give a straight answer or have all there ducks in a row and be ready for full production.

I disagree with everything you say here. Line 6 is doing exactly what any other reasonably well-run company would do and frankly, meeting expectations, which is not something they have always done in the past with product shipments. Whether that is because of them or Yamaha's influence I don't know, but I congratulate everyone at Line 6, and particularly Product Management, for their vast improvement in this area. They still need to do a bit more work on their pre-release testing and QC, but that has also improved greatly compared to days past.

It's certainly indicative of a high demand! Which, from a market study viewpoint, is quite interesting. They took a gamble at this higher price point, and it seems to have paid off. Considering Sweetwater flat out refused to entertain any notion of a price drop, people are buying these things up, and there are still a bunch of folks waiting! I am attempting to wait it out a bit, since even if I pre order now, I won't have it till next year. Ideally, snag 36mo financing from Sweetwater, and maybe a little Black Friday sale can be had. We'll see!

It's certainly indicative of a high demand! Which, from a market study viewpoint, is quite interesting. They took a gamble at this higher price point, and it seems to have paid off. Considering Sweetwater flat out refused to entertain any notion of a price drop, people are buying these things up, and there are still a bunch of folks waiting! I am attempting to wait it out a bit, since even if I pre order now, I won't have it till next year. Ideally, snag 36mo financing from Sweetwater, and maybe a little Black Friday sale can be had. We'll see!

I'll preface this by saying that I want one too...but I think it's a little to early to tell if their price-point gamble has payed off. There are always tech-hungry early adopters with money to spend, who get in line months before a product is released. And I don't think you can guage demand based on the handful of forum regulars who've been salavating over this thing since June. If it's really that much better than their previous flagship device that's 1/3 the price, and they're still cranking them out at $1500 a pop in 2 years, then I'd say it's a home run...till then, who knows?

Forgive the pun, but you're comparing apples and oranges. If L6 had Apple's reach and resources, we wouldn't be having this conversation. They're just a few iThings shy of planting a flag, annexing Cupertino, CA, and becoming their own country ;). They release new products on a fairly regular schedule to a customer base that numbers in the tens of millions worldwide. Legions of the tech-obsessed pitch tents outside their stores days ahead of time...foregoing bathing, sustenance, and indoor plumbing...to buy a friggin' phone. Boggles the mind, but I digress. By comparison, the average schmuck walking the street has never heard of L6 or Helix. So who's gonna warehouse more product ahead of time?

Expecting the same kind of roll-out from a company the size of L6 will leave you chronically disappointed...its easier to find a pearl in a pig's ear.

LOL, such a good post from the big "C"...hahahahaaa

Try to be patient OP or move on to the iHelix. So far I'm happy with what I got so I may not get one for a long time.

Got mine mid-October. Knew it would not be August. Well worth the wait. Hoping someone can create a Joe Bonamassa patch with it. The Glenn Deluane patch set for $9.99 is BARGAIN. He really nailed some GREAT tones with it. I am delighted with mine. I run it direct into house PA and monitor with a L3T. Wow!

Where do yo get the Glenn Deluane patch set?  As far the topic goes, the size of the initial production run was probably decided awhile ago based on perceived demand.

What do you think the size of that run was?  This is just a wild lollipop guess but I would figure somewhere in the 1500-2000 unit range

https://www.glenndelaune.com/patch%20downloads.htm

He has a YouTube video about the 12 Helix patches that he created. I love them all but one. Didn't care for his "Early Van Halen" patch but the rest are VERY useful. His video explains his logical way that he laid out the patches and control. Excellent stuff.

Don't know much about the production run. I pre-ordered mine from Sweetwater back in July. Got it in the middle of October. I ordered a really nice hardshell carrying case for it from Rondo Music. Less than $70! The carry bags for the unit are running over $100! Use my Helix for worship setting for which it is awesome. It like having a whole stage full of different amps and a massive pedal board.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, I just got word that my Helix Pre-order at Musician's Friend got pushed out, yet again.  Now mid-December -- but no faith that date will stand either.  Respectfully understanding many of the responses in this thread that consider this manufacturing delay "normal" -- I think we can all agree that Line 6's inability to produce enough units prior to the holiday season (on a unit released in July!!)  will affect their sales.  Sure, they have tons of pre-orders, but just IMAGINE how many of these units would have sold already had they been able to stock brick/mortar stores and the online retailers.  For every leap-of-faith pre-ordered unit, I would be willing to wager 2 or more could have been sold if it were in stores where it could be demoed and subsequently purchased.  If this unit is as good as its been reviewed, imagine the sales if all the interested guitarists actually got a chance to play one at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc...........

Normal or not, its a big miss on their part.  My opinion.

I'll continue to wait.  My 11Rack will keep me company.   :)

Unfortunately, I just got word that my Helix Pre-order at Musician's Friend got pushed out, yet again. Now mid-December -- but no faith that date will stand either. Respectfully understanding many of the responses in this thread that consider this manufacturing delay "normal" -- I think we can all agree that Line 6's inability to produce enough units prior to the holiday season (on a unit released in July!!) will affect their sales. Sure, they have tons of pre-orders, but just IMAGINE how many of these units would have sold already had they been able to stock brick/mortar stores and the online retailers. For every leap-of-faith pre-ordered unit, I would be willing to wager 2 or more could have been sold if it were in stores where it could be demoed and subsequently purchased. If this unit is as good as its been reviewed, imagine the sales if all the interested guitarists actually got a chance to play one at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc...........

Normal or not, its a big miss on their part. My opinion.

I'll continue to wait. My 11Rack will keep me company. :)

Retailers are universally full of $#!^. They'll promise you their own mother if they think it will result in a sale. I suspect that most, if not all of the online outlets taking pre-orders are prefectly willing to take a limitless number of orders, regardless of how many units they themselves have actually ordered, or realistically expect to get. They know most people won't cancel no matter how many times the ship date gets pushed back, because they fear waiting in line even longer if they try ordering elsewhere.

Never pre-order anything unless you enjoy being disappointed, especially not something that's likely to be in high demand.

dont know how many they have, but samash.com shows in stock as of today. If anyone is on the lookout there ya go.

Not anymore. I just grabbed "the last one". Thank for the tip. I called them to place the order, and the sales guy was cool. But the Sam Ash call center is in CA and the warehouse is in FL -- so he can't actually "see" the unit with his own eyes. He assured me it's there and will be shipped out in the morning. Honestly, I'll believe it when it's on my doorstep -- and not a minute before.

Well this is a little disappointing.   I "purchased" mine from GC locally, but it was part of a deal where I sold them used gear which they used with some additional I had thrown in, to order the Helix.   So I have the $1500 tied up, and it's going to be two months before I see the unit?   While I agree that the first release date can get a little hinky for any company to meet (unless you are Apple-sized), the 2nd or 3rd ship dates they should have it.   Based on my research, no GC in Washington has had a Helix in hand except maybe for one in Seattle which I believe sold when they did the tour there.  I have also been to the GC outside Boston and they didn't even know what it was.  Of the other Line6 dealer music stores I have contacted, it's a toss up between "who knows" and "what is it?"  

I'm sad now.

I hope you guys that are still waiting get your units very soon.  I read in one of the threads that Line 6 is trying really hard to actually have some on the shelves for the Holidays.  I guess it will depend on how many additional orders they've received since the 1st production run.  I think they're working on the 3rd shipment now as the 2nd batch shipped to retailers last week.

• Upvote 1

As soon as I heard about Guitar Center having the helix "in stock and ready to ship", I ordered one. Called just to make sure, before cancelling my Musician's Friend order. Guys says it should ship out today or tomorrow. I immediately get an automated email saying my order is now on Back-order. Refresh the GC helix page and indeed there is no stock. Refreshed the page an hour later and once again the item is "in stock and ready to ship". Glad I didn't cancel my Musician's Friend order. But now I have 3k tied up in backorder. 

• Upvote 1

As soon as I heard about Guitar Center having the helix "in stock and ready to ship", I ordered one. Called just to make sure, before cancelling my Musician's Friend order. Guys says it should ship out today or tomorrow. I immediately get an automated email saying my order is now on Back-order. Refresh the GC helix page and indeed there is no stock. Refreshed the page an hour later and once again the item is "in stock and ready to ship". Glad I didn't cancel my Musician's Friend order. But now I have 3k tied up in backorder.

Yeah that's frustrating. I did the exact same thing when I got the tip about Sam Ash having stock. I called, confirmed stock, and placed the order. Called back again today, checked status, and then finally got tracking information tonight. So I guess it was real after all, and my unit should be delivered on Tuesday Nov 24th. But I still have a pre-order at Musicians Friend (due Dec 11th now), and I won't cancel that until I take delivery of this one and test it thoroughly.

NOTE -- when I called to check shipping today, another guy I spoke with said they had more stock, even though the website says "Out of Stock" now. Last night I was told I got the last one. Maybe not. Might be worth a call...........

I contacted my guy at GC today and he tried to figure out where in line my order was.   While he couldn't get a specific answer he did say that " It seems that there will be about 3-5 shipments coming within the next month or so." so unless they weren't feeding him a line, it seems they are ramping up to meet demand.

" It seems that there will be about 3-5 shipments coming within the next month or so."

It's retail folks....

Here's the thought that immediately preceded that statement: "Uhhhhh...I have no idea what's coming or when...Damn it, I forget my underwear again...But I need to tell this guy something. Quick, be vague and non-commital, but with just enough cautious optimism that he doesn't ask for a manager or cancel the order".

It's retail folks....

Here's the thought that immediately preceded that statement: "Uhhhhh...I have no idea what's coming or when...Damn it, I forget my underwear again...But I need to tell this guy something. Quick, be vague and non-commital, but with just enough cautious optimism that he doesn't ask for a manager or cancel the order".

Unfortunately this is probably all too true.  I travel for work, and have visited at least 5 different Guitar Centers in the past month, in different cities.  Not a single associate at any of these locations had any real clue about when they were getting units.  Truth be told, not a single one of them had actually seen a unit firsthand. But its not their fault -- they can't sell or deliver you what they don't have.  Instead, they have to say "something" to keep you hopeful.  It sucks, but that's reality.

Wow -- just checked Musician's Friend again this morning.  My Pre-order just got pushed all the way out to Jan 11, 2016.  I should be getting my unit from Sam Ash next week, so will likely cancel assuming its in good condition.  But again, WOW --- this is absurd.

• Upvote 1

Wow -- just checked Musician's Friend again this morning.  My Pre-order just got pushed all the way out to Jan 11, 2016.  I should be getting my unit from Sam Ash next week, so will likely cancel assuming its in good condition.  But again, WOW --- this is absurd.

I would guess part of the issue is how Musicians Friend and Guitar Center are basically the same company; with either the same or overlapping warehouse and inventory; to a certain degree. And since they are both web store and box store, they have different issues from web-only business. American Musical and Zzounds are the same company - same stock, etc. I mean, literally - I was comparing two PRS guitars, and compared the photos - then looked at the serial#'s. Identical. Same company. Different tax structures, but...

I just got back in the preorder line with Sweetwater, and will wait it out. I am getting pysched though! Seems like people have had them long enough to stumble through a few issues, but also hearing some reports back of folks really excited for their tones.

On that note, I need to give this one a listen on lunch break today! Vetta vs Helix

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-804

So, here's just a rant. If your a guitarist that sits in your basement nit picking tone by all means load your wall with as many l2ts and subs you can get your hands on, to get that illusive tone you hear in your head. But for the non pro touring gig warrior. It's helix, wedge, FOH. I think if you have been accustomed to the tone of cyber style devices the helix Is the next big step. If your a tube amp aficionado, then it my take time for your ears to adjust, and not have to have that wall of speakers to get same. IMO

Unfortunately this is probably all too true.  I travel for work, and have visited at least 5 different Guitar Centers in the past month, in different cities.  Not a single associate at any of these locations had any real clue about when they were getting units.  Truth be told, not a single one of them had actually seen a unit firsthand. But its not their fault -- they can't sell or deliver you what they don't have.  Instead, they have to say "something" to keep you hopeful.  It sucks, but that's reality.

Bazinga...  that is all

Just as an FYI, Guitar Center and Musicians friend ship form the same Wherehouse! Which is located in Kansas City, MO. I have ordered things from both, and it all comes from the same wherehouse. So dont be fooled by one saying they have stock and the other not. Either they both have it or they don't.