Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So why is it taking sooooo long for Helix to be readily Available.

lefttygtr

I can't imagine L6 is real happy about not having some standing in-store stock for the holidays.

Certainly, though I am positive they prefer this outcome over the alternate, of having boatloads of inventory and reticent buyers! Long lists of preorder and high demand aren't going to turn most prospective buyers away. Think about the M20d, by comparison, I don't know if it sold as well as anticipated, and they had to drop the price by $500. Not long after other brands, Mackie, Behringer, QSC all came out with similar competitive products.

The Helix stands alone, despite the delusions of Axe FX and Kemper enthusiasts... (IMHO) :)

I think that's called "if we sell these instead we don't have to cut checks to James Tyler anymore"... ;)

Nope, it was all about the ability to get Variax tech into more players' hands, which is much easier to do at $799 MAP. That said, we have no plans to EOL JTVs anytime soon, and they'll have to tear my JTV-59 from my cold, dead mitts. Love that thing.

• Upvote 1

Nope, it was all about the ability to get Variax tech into more players' hands, which is much easier to do at $799 MAP. That said, we have no plans to EOL JTVs anytime soon, and they'll have to tear my JTV-59 from my cold, dead mitts. Love that thing.

Well its the definition of EOL that matters...in my field (medical imaging), end of life means no more parts, no more paying their FE's to show up to fix something, even if it wouldn't require replacement hardware. However, they typically stop producing and selling a given model loooooooong before it's declared EOL. And thats what everybody wants to know....whether or not there are any more coming. Seems there are retailers saying 'no'...support and active production are two different things.

I think that's called "if we sell these instead we don't have to cut checks to James Tyler anymore"... ;)

That's a pretty cynical view. As DI said, it looked to me like a way of getting Variax tech into a more cost-effective product. FWIW, I will be getting one early next year as I hated the look of the JTV69, but like the feel of strats. I may use the Standard as a transplant, possible even into a Variax 700 (which is an awesomely built guitar), but I like the knob layout more than the 69 layout, so if I do, it'll make a better transplant for me. YMMV.

I don't think this will be useful to our US friends, but unofficial word is that Long & McQuade Musical Instruments in Canada will have Helix in stock early January 2016.

I have no problems NOT receiving the first units out of production. In my experience with electronic devices, it seems best to avoid version 1.0 as I WILL be the one to get the lemon out of the bunch.

With that said, I should put a big shout out to those who did purchase a 1.0 (Not an official designation!) and have the time and patience to troubleshoot and help improve the product.

• Upvote 1

That's a pretty cynical view.

Call it whatever you like if that makes you feel better, but there's not a company on earth that doesn't look for ways to cut overhead...especially when a larger entity comes in and buys out a smaller operation. Once someone else is paying the bills, the new benevolent overlords dispatch a squad of suits with clipboards, who scurry about demanding to know "what is this, and why are we spending money on it?" It's as inevitable as the tides...company I work for is in the middle of this delightful experience right now.

So it's not out of the realm of possibility that a company like Yamaha, which already makes guitars, would show up and question why they should keep paying a third party to design their instruments...is this what happened? I don't know, I don't get invited to those meetings. But I do know that if you put a pic of the Standard alongside a pic of a Pacifica, they're damn-near identical. Coincidence? Maybe, but it would be an award-winning coincidence...

But I do know that if you put a pic of the Standard alongside a pic of a Pacifica, they're damn-near identical. Coincidence? Maybe, but it would be an award-winning coincidence...

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. L6 has said that the Variax Standard is a Pacifica variant, allowing L6 to put out a Variax at a lower price point due partially to economies of scale, and partially to lower individual component costs and sure, not paying James Tyler (but I doubt that was their main motivation). Seems like a pretty obvious business opportunity to easily marry the strengths of the two companies, and put out an entry-level Variax. DI has stated they have no current plans to discontinue the JTVs.

DI, on the topic, the next shipment of Helix on thomann and geek supplier Nakas will be next next year January 8-12.  Again will be limited numbers or a good big number of units? I want 1 before february  :wub:

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. L6 has said that the Variax Standard is a Pacifica variant, allowing L6 to put out a Variax at a lower price point due partially to economies of scale, and partially to lower individual component costs and sure, not paying James Tyler (but I doubt that was their main motivation). Seems like a pretty obvious business opportunity to easily marry the strengths of the two companies, and put out an entry-level Variax. DI has stated they have no current plans to discontinue the JTVs.

I really have no desire to make a federal case out of this, or hijack the thread even further. I was merely addressing the fact that I had been labeled "cynical". Apparently what you see as cynical, I see as realistic...and that's fine. Opinions vary.

However, as you can see from this thread, "Pacifica variant" was definitely not the first explanation offered....

http://line6.com/support/topic/12019-variax-standard-april-11/#

Here's a post from that thread:

"I asked DI about which model Pacifica they used and he told me flat out that while it looks like one, it was designed by Line 6's industrial and product designers in conjunction with Yamaha's custom shop in Burbank, CA. He told me it's Line 6's pickup design, Line 6's neck design, Line 6's headstock and pickguard design, and the body style is Line 6's too (their industrial designer was obviously inspired by Pacifica, as they knew Yamaha was going to manufacture it)..."

So you can read into that anything you wish. To me, it sounds an awful lot like someone going to great lengths to convince me that the cat in my lap, is actually a dog. If that makes me a cynic, so be it.

Sorry for the interruption folks...we now return you to this week's episode of "Where's My Helix?", already in progress. ;)

• Upvote 1

Now GuitarCenter's website is showing a ship date of 01-13-2016. Four days ago it said 12/18/2015. Ugh this is getting ridiculous (as if it wasn't already).

Seems to be about a 6 week wait from order to shipment based on what others have said so far...unless you're lucky enough to find one in stock somewhere. It's almost 6 weeks for me now, so I'm hoping to have it before Xmas.

Seems to be about a 6 week wait from order to shipment based on what others have said so far...unless you're lucky enough to find one in stock somewhere. It's almost 6 weeks for me now, so I'm hoping to have it before Xmas.

I hope you will.  At this rate, I'll never be getting mine.  

• Upvote 1

Everyone would save a great deal of aggravation if you just canceled your orders, and waited for the dust to settle...sooner or later, wandering over to your local Shredstraveganza Inc. and picking up a Helix will be as simple as acquiring a 6-pack (the drinkable kind ;)). Till then, why torture yourselves? It's either no Helix AND high blood pressure, or just no Helix....

• Upvote 2

Everyone would save a great deal of aggravation if you just canceled your orders, and waited for the dust to settle...sooner or later, wandering over to your local Shredstraveganza Inc. and picking up a Helix will be as simple as acquiring a 6-pack. Till then, why torture yourselves? It's either no Helix AND high blood pressure, or just no Helix....

I'm kind of committed to the cause at this point. I sold off some gear to fund the purchase, so it's not just a matter of not wanting to wait... not that wanting it sooner is not a part of it too.

I'm kind of committed to the cause at this point. I sold off some gear to fund the purchase, so it's not just a matter of not wanting to wait... not that wanting it sooner is not a part of it too.

I did the same thing, sold my HD500X to fund the Helix which I purchased October 19th. It finally shipped from American Musical today and should be here tomorrow.

well i got resigned to the fact that in the UK its not coming soon, so i got me  JTV 69 instead, now using that with my HD PRO X and all the JTV switching it can do, that might satisfy my gas for a good while yet, 

might even be able to stop visiting this thread 5 times a day !!!

Well I may have some good news.  I placed my order in the first week of November.  Yesterday I got an email as there was a issue with "processing" my order with a number to call.  I called the number and they ran the card.  She didn't have an actual shipping date because that wasn't her department, but she said if they are processing the order, they are fulfilling it shortly.   I'm not going to get too excited as they have put a "hold" on the money twice since it was ordered, but this time around I just looked and it's an actual charge NOT and authorization !!!  

I'll keep posted, but if this is legit, we're at the 5 week mark.  If It comes next week I don't think that's so terrible as the old "four to six weeks" thing is pretty common with new items being pushed.   

We shall see.

They may have rushed it through development and now are finding a lot of bugs in the software. The Helix is basically just a big hard drive filled with software. Getting the software to work properly is the hard part.

Sure, if your hard drive has a color display, a dozen dual-function knobs, 10 dual-function footswitches, programmable displays for the footswitches, a big-lollipop gas pedal, myriad inputs, outputs and, presumably, a bunch of analog-to-digital converting chips.

Mine doesn't.  It just has an on-off switch and a USB connector.

;)

Sure, if your hard drive has a color display, a dozen dual-function knobs, 10 dual-function footswitches, programmable displays for the footswitches, a big-lollipop gas pedal, myriad inputs, outputs and, presumably, a bunch of analog-to-digital converting chips.

Mine doesn't.  It just has an on-off switch and a USB connector.

;)

Mine too. I forgot on the internet one must be very specific.  Let me restate... The Helix sounds (amps and effects, etc) are created by software algorithms embedded in dedicated memory chips (similar to a SSD hard drive.).  Perhaps this software has bugs that they are working on correcting before mass production ramps up.

Mine too. I forgot on the internet one must be very specific.  Let me restate... The Helix sounds (amps and effects, etc) are created by software algorithms embedded in dedicated memory chips (similar to a SSD hard drive.).  Perhaps this software has bugs that they are working on correcting before mass production ramps up.

Nope... They're pretty much making them as fast as they can, as far as I know. The thing with production schedules for a company like Line 6 is that they probably don't actually own the facility making these for them. They have to pay to get the line up and running, and have all the tooling they need, and then they schedule the runs based on projections. It's not the same type of thing as "lean manufacturing" concepts that are able to do things on a more made-to-order basis.

Just joshin' you, my friend.

I hope you will.  At this rate, I'll never be getting mine.  

This place in Kenosha claims to have four in stock; how far is that from you?

I am down here a couple hours south in the western burbs of Chicagoland!

No Helix for me either; have it on preorder from Sweetwater.

Cheers!

https://reverb.com/item/1425096-line-6-helix-multi-effects-guitar-pedal

This place in Kenosha claims to have four in stock; how far is that from you?

I am down here a couple hours south in the western burbs of Chicagoland!

No Helix for me either; have it on preorder from Sweetwater.

Cheers!

https://reverb.com/item/1425096-line-6-helix-multi-effects-guitar-pedal

It's a good couple hours.  But I got mine at a slight discount from Guitar Center, so I'm not going to cancel that and pay full price, ya know?  Yikes... when did you place your order?

It's a good couple hours. But I got mine at a slight discount from Guitar Center, so I'm not going to cancel that and pay full price, ya know? Yikes... when did you place your order?

Oh, yeah I hear ya! I am still going with Sweetwater, doing their 36month financing thing, preordered on 11/13. Good to see them popping up in stock at some places that aren't just the big stores!

Oh, yeah I hear ya! I am still going with Sweetwater, doing their 36month financing thing, preordered on 11/13. Good to see them popping up in stock at some places that aren't just the big stores!

Well you would think that would be a good sign. I called for an update on mine today and was told 1/9 now. I placed my order on 11/2, and it's been moved twice on me now. They told me that they received a very small order around the 1st of the month and have been told by Line 6 that they aren't getting another shipment until 1/9.

Yeah I suppose it is good... heh.  I know there will be a point when they are available everywhere and you can just walk in and get one... but, well... maybe this is a good time to work on my patience :)

Yeah I suppose it is good... heh. I know there will be a point when they are available everywhere and you can just walk in and get one... but, well... maybe this is a good time to work on my patience :)

I hear ya. I can handle a wait, but I can't handle thinking my wait is over and having it extended another 5 weeks.

• Upvote 1

I hear ya. I can handle a wait, but I can't handle thinking my wait is over and having it extended another 5 weeks.

No doubt.  All I have to play through right now is my Line 6 Duoverb head and an Avatar 2x12 cab with Eminence Legend V12s.. it's tough... I have no pedals to get nasty sounds.. or delays... or modulation.  I should work on my playing.  Or at least take the time NOW to get the sleep I damn-sure will NOT get when the Helix does arrive :D

• Upvote 1

I managed to pick a Helix up at the local platinum Guitar Center on Tuesday. I was diligent in calling in weekly to ask about status. The sales guy was super knowledgeable and remembered to call me when they came in. He said they sell out within an hour of their arriving so I did get lucky. But it does happen.

Now it's time to configure it to work with my DT25 and Variax. So far I'm liking what I'm hearing. The dynamics are improved and the quality of the effects are way better. The amps sound different than the HD 500 models so I'm adjusting all my patches accordingly.

One thing I can say for sure is that the UI is completely awesome and it makes me smile maybe as much as the sounds I am dialing in.

Good luck!

Does anyone else on here have an order in with zzounds? I placed my order on 11/2 and was told originally 11/20, then 12/12, and now was told yesterday 1/9. They're telling me that they received a small shipment in around 12/1, and they don't expect to see another shipment until 1/9. I can't begin to understand how that is even possible. They're a "Certified Helix Dealer", for what that's worth, and they don't expect to see a single unit delivered to their warehouse for over five weeks? Something seems really wrong with that, especially when I've seen reports of other much smaller retailers with units in stock. The most frustrating thing is that I know that I have to be up at the top of the backorder list, but that does me no good if they aren't getting any deliveries.

Sorry, but yes, it is extremely normal. I do not work for Line 6, but this is perfectly normal across all industries for all types of products. Your rant against Line 6 in this case is misplaced.

Here's just 1 example from Apple this year:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/06/04Apple-Watch-Arrives-in-Seven-More-Countries-June-26.html

Yeah. I agree with Ozbadman here. Apple announce when they are releasing and stick too it. The example quoted was a known release plan so at least you knew up front. I have never failed to pick up an iPhone on release day. I definitely have never queued for one as well. No sign of the Helix still. I am actually holding off writing new album material as I wanted to see what I could work up on the Helix!

• Upvote 1

Gotta love it. Snagged a "blemished" Helix from Zzounds that turned out to be a scuffed protective tape on the scribble strips, which did its job well. Happy purchase at almost 20% off and no waiting... so check those sites periodically and maybe you'll get lucky.