Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So why is it taking sooooo long for Helix to be readily Available.

lefttygtr

Gotta love it. Snagged a "blemished" Helix from Zzounds that turned out to be a scuffed protective tape on the scribble strips, which did its job well. Happy purchase at almost 20% off and no waiting... so check those sites periodically and maybe you'll get lucky.

Wow, that's awesome!  You should play the lottery :)

Gotta love it. Snagged a "blemished" Helix from Zzounds that turned out to be a scuffed protective tape on the scribble strips, which did its job well. Happy purchase at almost 20% off and no waiting... so check those sites periodically and maybe you'll get lucky.

Sweet! Very, very cool :) I just searched Zzounds, to no avail. They do have a 'blemished' L2m for $644.95, which is tempting! 

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINSTAGESOURCL2M

Sweet! Very, very cool :) I just searched Zzounds, to no avail. They do have a 'blemished' L2m for $644.95, which is tempting!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINSTAGESOURCL2M

I'm always skeptical of those deals. At the very least, you need pictures. "Blemished" can mean anything from "this one's a little dusty" to "a meth-head dragged it behind a truck over 18 miles of gravel". ;)

• Upvote 1

Just got a notice from the bumble-f^^^s at MF that my order placed on November 3rd will not be available until 1/21/16.

Another retailer said they will have some in on the 23rd.  If they hold true, MF just lost a customer worth about 1500/year.

Just got an email from GC that my order has been shipped !!!   So the order was placed at a local Guitar Center on November 2nd, and it's now shipping.  I have a UPS tracking number and everything.  I knew it was going to be a wait and I don't consider 6 weeks to be that bad.  I'm mainly updating to let those who ordered from Guitar Center and are having 2nd thoughts about ever seeing their Helix, the units do exist and are shipping.  

Just got an email from GC that my order has been shipped !!!   So the order was placed at a local Guitar Center on November 2nd, and it's now shipping.  I have a UPS tracking number and everything.  I knew it was going to be a wait and I don't consider 6 weeks to be that bad.  I'm mainly updating to let those who ordered from Guitar Center and are having 2nd thoughts about ever seeing their Helix, the units do exist and are shipping.  

Thanks for the info.  Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if I'm as lucky as you :)

I'm always skeptical of those deals. At the very least, you need pictures. "Blemished" can mean anything from "this one's a little dusty" to "a meth-head dragged it behind a truck over 18 miles of gravel". ;)

I was worried, but figured for the price of return shipping, if necessary, would be worth it worst-case. Best case, a Helix for $1226!

I have also been told a the same BS from GC.   I ordered on 11/11 and I've been delayed until 1/2016.  Maybe I'll see it, maybe not.   I was told they've not received any shipments from  L6 at all.  since JS has a tracking number indicates they lie.   As far as the number of production units may have been a surprise to L6, there could be other issues besides QC issues.  I've been in electronic manufacturing for 35 years and many times engineering designs around a part that has gone EOL.  Which means they are no longer available, or there is a limited supply available.   Since development of Helix has taken 6 years, this is a likely scenario.  Since we're speculating and L6 is not commenting,  I'm just putting it out there.    If this is the case, Engineering is scrambling to find a replacement part,  Software has to rewrite code for the new part and QA has to re-qualify the product.     I'm surprised that L6 has not chimed in here and offer some sort of reassurance that we are going to receive a product that meets the original design spec.  I'm also betting there are software/hardware bugs that may be preventing the product from shipping  and performing as expected which is causing delays while they scramble to fix.   C-mon L6,  What's the problem?  Should I spend my money somewhere else?

I'm surprised that L6 has not chimed in here and offer some sort of reassurance that we are going to receive a product...

Remember, this is the same bunch that has openly declared info such as the recommended pickup height for the Variax guitars, to be too sensitive for mere mortals to possess. Do you really think they're gonna discuss manufacturing hiccups?

You'd have better luck asking for a video clip of the CEO's last colonoscopy...

Basically, the run rate of Helix manufacturing isn't based on how many people Line 6 believed would buy Helix; it was based on initial dealer orders (all taken before the big market launch this past June).

So if we're convinced people will buy 6, but dealers only order 3, we might build 4 just to be safe.

Then when 10 preorders come in months before the thing even ships... (!!!)

FWIU, we haven't stopped building Helixs since June. The trick is that these are sophisticated, expensive boxes with tight tolerances and a pretty elaborate test procedure, so we're not able to crank them out like MIDI Mobilizers. We'll get to everyone as soon as we can, but we're not willing to skimp on manufacturing procedures or testing to speed things up. If there's an upside, it's that Helix will continue to get new features and models, so by the time yours comes in, it'll be even better.

Okay, so that's a total cop out. Sorry.

- Digital_Igloo 

Greetings,

I understand this was in a different forum, but the Helix Product Manager, Digital_Igloo chimed in to explain a little about the shipping delays and the reasons for them. Hope it clears some things up. 

• Upvote 1

FWIW, Fractal Audio has often had long delays and a waiting list on new products. It doesn't seem to upset people quite so much. I am guessing that it is because they are seen as a much smaller company, and customers make allowances for them. Or maybe they handle customer expectations better through the use of their waiting list? Perhaps this is an opportunity for Line 6 to learn something from Fractal. Not that this helps anyone who is jonesing for their Helix right now.

FWIW, Fractal Audio has often had long delays and a waiting list on new products. It doesn't seem to upset people quite so much. I am guessing that it is because they are seen as a much smaller company, and customers make allowances for them. Or maybe they handle customer expectations better through the use of their waiting list? Perhaps this is an opportunity for Line 6 to learn something from Fractal. Not that this helps anyone who is jonesing for their Helix right now.

It is all about communication. What people drives nuts is when there is no statement about the WHY. If Line 6 would have mad an official announcement similar to the text from  Digital_Igloo that was posted above, I think that people would understand. They should add an approximatley timeframe, when they are available though.

I personally prefer to wait a little longer and get a device that has good quality building and has no bugs rather than get the first run and deal with production issues and bugs. I'm sure there are some growing pains right now. I will wait for a later run anyway.

• Upvote 1

Just an update... There is indeed a package tracking via UPS from Salt Lake City, UTAH.  I should have it Thursday... I'd love to say it's definitely on its way but after reading the stories all I can say is they are shipping me something.  :)

It is all about communication. What people drives nuts is when there is no statement about the WHY. If Line 6 would have mad an official announcement similar to the text from Digital_Igloo that was posted above, I think that people would understand. They should add an approximatley timeframe, when they are available though.

I personally prefer to wait a little longer and get a device that has good quality building and has no bugs rather than get the first run and deal with production issues and bugs. I'm sure there are some growing pains right now. I will wait for a later run anyway.

For 99.97% of the history of commerce, there was no "communication" between company and customer. The store either had the item you wanted, or they didn't. Or you ordered something from a catalog, without the slightest clue as to whether or not said item was actually in stock, and you wouldn't find out one way or the other for days or weeks. And we all survived....

The only real "problem" here, is that we've all become accustomed to information on tap, and the instant access thereto...Now, if that info isn't forthcoming in the first 12.5 seconds, everybody pitches a fit.

Let's ask L6 to set up a Facebook page...that way, all the Helix updates will be easily found next to the pictures of the marketing department's toenail clippings, and what they had for lunch. ;)

The only real "problem" here, is that we've all become accustomed to information on tap, and the instant access thereto...Now, if that info isn't forthcoming in the first 12.5 seconds, everybody pitches a fit.

This is the reality of things. Retailers and companies like L6 need to accept and understand that. I don't appreciate spending money and having no idea whats happening to it for months on end. The last time GC had horrible communication with me regarding orders and customer service, it ended up costing them $500 in gift cards. Messing with my money is like messing with my emotions, man. haha

I don't appreciate spending money and having no idea whats happening to it for months on end.

Me neither. Which is precisely why if something is not in stock, then nobody gets my money...because it's an iron-clad, guaranteed hassel.

No pre-ordering stuff that doesn't even exist yet, no deposits for "special orders", and most of all, no being seduced by absurd promises from retailers that will never be honored if we all lived to be 750 years old. When I have the money on hand and the item is staring me in the face, I'll buy it. Zero aggravation that way...well, as close to zero as anything ever gets, anyway.

This is the reality of things. Retailers and companies like L6 need to accept and understand that. I don't appreciate spending money and having no idea whats happening to it for months on end. The last time GC had horrible communication with me regarding orders and customer service, it ended up costing them $500 in gift cards. Messing with my money is like messing with my emotions, man. haha

A lot of the online companies don't actually charge you anything until the order is about to be shipped to you, so there's nothing actually tied up, except emotions.

I just called the Guitar Center website for an update on my order.  On 11/19 GC told me I'd have it by Thanksgiving.  Then they said "looks like it's closer to Christmas" two days later.  11/30 I was told it would ship Dec 2.  I called Dec 2 to make sure it shipped, it did not.  I was told it was backordered, but should ship Dec 18.  I called 12/9, they said the same thing (will ship Dec 18).  Today I called and they said it's backordered and should ship 1/18.  This is not cool.  My card has already been charged (as I traded gear in for the Helix, like lots of other people).  Hell, I have the Helix already paid off.  

This is all very upsetting.  :/

I just called the Guitar Center website for an update on my order. On 11/19 GC told me I'd have it by Thanksgiving. Then they said "looks like it's closer to Christmas" two days later. 11/30 I was told it would ship Dec 2. I called Dec 2 to make sure it shipped, it did not. I was told it was backordered, but should ship Dec 18. I called 12/9, they said the same thing (will ship Dec 18). Today I called and they said it's backordered and should ship 1/18. This is not cool. My card has already been charged (as I traded gear in for the Helix, like lots of other people). Hell, I have the Helix already paid off.

This is all very upsetting. :/

I sympathize with ya. That royally sucks.

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see...especially when there's money involved.

• Upvote 1

I just found out today that the company I pre-ordered with a few weeks back wouldn't be getting the stock they'd ordered. They had ordered 35 units for the end of Dec. They were told they would only be receiving 20 units. I am number 20 on the preorder list so was hoping to finally have it within 2 weeks. I found out today that Line 6 would only be able to supply them with 5 instead of 20. At this rate of supply it will take over 4 months to get to my preorder. Ridiculous. This is one of the biggest suppliers in the UK (Andertons) and i was advised they'd be a good company to order from to get the Helix promptly. Thinking of cancelling the order and just going back to my pedals. 

I sympathize with ya. That royally sucks.

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see...especially when there's money involved.

No doubt.  I'm at my wits-end here.  I'm upset with GC, and I'm upset with Line 6.  I just want what I paid for.  That's all.  Maybe it's my fault for "pre-ordering".

Thinking of cancelling the order and just going back to my pedals.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...why torture yourself? Eventually, they'll be readily available. Till then, there are plenty of other things I can get aggravated about that I have no control over...why volunteer for extra misery?

Some credit card companies don't allow merchants to charge you before they ship.  

It's definitely worth checking with your credit card company.

In the meantime, the behemoth Guitar Center is making some nice interest on your money.  I think that's scandalous.

I just found out today that the company I pre-ordered with a few weeks back wouldn't be getting the stock they'd ordered. They had ordered 35 units for the end of Dec. They were told they would only be receiving 20 units. I am number 20 on the preorder list so was hoping to finally have it within 2 weeks. I found out today that Line 6 would only be able to supply them with 5 instead of 20. At this rate of supply it will take over 4 months to get to my preorder. Ridiculous. This is one of the biggest suppliers in the UK (Andertons) and i was advised they'd be a good company to order from to get the Helix promptly. Thinking of cancelling the order and just going back to my pedals. 

This is not funny at all but I guess is not the fault of the Online shop if the do not receive the ordered items, there is not much they can do about.

Yesterday I found 2 shops in Germany that said helix is available. Had a look today and both shops now say it is available on 8. of January.

It seems that there is a bit  of confuision all over the place. It's not a problem for me since I haven't ordered yet and won't do for a while anyway but I can feel how frustrating it is to be put off from week to week.

For 99.97% of the history of commerce, there was no "communication" between company and customer. The store either had the item you wanted, or they didn't. Or you ordered something from a catalog, without the slightest clue as to whether or not said item was actually in stock, and you wouldn't find out one way or the other for days or weeks. And we all survived....

Let's ask L6 to set up a Facebook page...that way, all the Helix updates will be easily found next to the pictures of the marketing department's toenail clippings, and what they had for lunch. ;)

Line 6 Helix does have a Facebook page.  Here:  https://www.facebook.com/Line-6-Helix-507635642723878/?fref=nf.  Last updated June 11th.

Regarding the history of commerce, the actual percentage of online time is more like .0006%.  However during the last 125 years there has been communication from manufacturers.  Prior to that, the vendor was more than likely the manufacturer, so there was communication there as well.

Line 6 screwed the pooch on this.  They haven't created a buzz, they have created a PR nightmare.  The only reason they are not communicating is because they fear they will open up a floodgate of criticism and frustration from the very people with whom they conduct commerce.  The retailers are stuck in the middle so they get to lie and pretend to know what is going on.  The simple fact is that Line 6 thought a boutique item would demand a boutique supply.  People have been strapped to Fractal and Kemper for years now and they want an alternative.  Line 6 beat the Rolands of the world to the punch and have had some serious interruptions in their supply chain.  Since they farm out the actual manufacturing of the units, the manufacturers have them over a barrel.  They switched manufacturers and whoever they switched to was not set up to just manufacture Helixes.  They now have to get in line for their production runs and compete against other production runs.  A Line 6 rep told me that they "can't make these fast enough".  Sure they could, but it would seriously affect the price point as they would have to buy their way to the front of the line.

Hopefully they have more than one manufacturer or production shop working on this.

Damn....I remember when Yamaha made their own s**t and took pride in that fact.

They exist, they really do.  I placed my order with GC on the November 2nd.  I picked up the unit today.  First impressions are great.  It is well packaged and a sturdy unit.  Due to concerns of DOA devices or parts such as switches, I had them grab a QSC K12 and grabbed a Schecter guitar.  Hooked it up, fired it up and well I was impressed to say the least.  I'll write up an "unboxing" maybe later, but in short, I ran through the presets.   That's really all I had time for.  Some of the names hint at what the patch was designed for so that helped. 

Two things I noticed right away.  QUIET !!!!  Even on the most heavy metal of patches like Evil, there was no noise whatsoever when I wasn't playing and while I can only assume a noise gate was involved, I didn't hear it.    The other thing I noticed is what they have been touting that the models act like the actual amps.  I brought up one of the tweeds which is infamous for sounding really nice, full and clean with the vol on the guitar low, then just cranking the volume it gets nasty...  That's exactly what it did.   Actually after only about 15 minutes it kinda sank in that I wasn't playing though a tube amp, cause it sure sounded and played like a tube amp.   I wish I could remember the patch, but one of the Stadium ones, and it may have been me playing the exp pedal, I played a chord and held it and the texture changed and I got feedback, but from the patch, not the actual speaker.  It sounded and felt real enough and was just as inconsistent in that it wasn't predictable or forced like some of the pedals that have the "feedback" feature if you hold the pedal down.

Anyway, just wanted to post that I'm not sure some of the waiting and supply issues are not due to the retailers themselves.  My GC is small, and they themselves don't know when they will see a model for the store.  Their ordering is done from a regional office that orders for them based on what they think will sell etc...  My Helix is the first one they have seen.  I was originally told I would receive it "maybe" by December 22nd.  So technically, I got it faster than predicted.  I didn't do anything special.  I sold some gear to GC and placed the order and in 6 weeks almost to the day, it's here.  I'm a happy camper.

• Upvote 1

Here's something to take your mind off waiting for Helix...reading people rant about waiting for their AX-8! :)

"Please recognize that if you signed up after Oct 13th 2015 it will be well after the 2015 Holiday season when you receive your purchase invitation."

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-guess-this-is-the-current-shipping-situation.107941/

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/any-day-now-ax8.1637249/page-35

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-waitlist-list-google-spreadsheet-add-your-name.105499/

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/excited-soon-is-here.107723/

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/may-the-onslaught-begin-i-just-ordered-my-ax8.107697/

I've also followed to some of this topics. To keep in mind with Fractal stuff is that they do only direct sales and usually you won't find their stuff in music stores.

That's a completley different story.

Line 6 Helix does have a Facebook page.  Here:  https://www.facebook.com/Line-6-Helix-507635642723878/?fref=nf.  Last updated June 11th.

Regarding the history of commerce, the actual percentage of online time is more like .0006%.  However during the last 125 years there has been communication from manufacturers.  Prior to that, the vendor was more than likely the manufacturer, so there was communication there as well.

Line 6 screwed the pooch on this.  They haven't created a buzz, they have created a PR nightmare.  The only reason they are not communicating is because they fear they will open up a floodgate of criticism and frustration from the very people with whom they conduct commerce.  The retailers are stuck in the middle so they get to lie and pretend to know what is going on.  The simple fact is that Line 6 thought a boutique item would demand a boutique supply.  People have been strapped to Fractal and Kemper for years now and they want an alternative.  Line 6 beat the Rolands of the world to the punch and have had some serious interruptions in their supply chain.  Since they farm out the actual manufacturing of the units, the manufacturers have them over a barrel.  They switched manufacturers and whoever they switched to was not set up to just manufacture Helixes.  They now have to get in line for their production runs and compete against other production runs.  A Line 6 rep told me that they "can't make these fast enough".  Sure they could, but it would seriously affect the price point as they would have to buy their way to the front of the line.

Hopefully they have more than one manufacturer or production shop working on this.

Damn....I remember when Yamaha made their own s**t and took pride in that fact.

Lol... I can assure you that no one at Line 6 considers this launch a nightmare. Everyone I've heard speak of it considers it a grand slam, hit out of the park. Having demand surpass supply is where you want to be as a manufacturer, for sure. It definitely beats the alternative. If the surprise is a result of anything, perhaps it's a matter of people telling them one thing in surveys but then acting another way in real life. I really do think there is a general surprise at the number of people will to spend money in this price range.

• Upvote 1

Lol... I can assure you that no one at Line 6 considers this launch a nightmare. Everyone I've heard speak of it considers it a grand slam, hit out of the park. Having demand surpass supply is where you want to be as a manufacturer, for sure. It definitely beats the alternative. If the surprise is a result of anything, perhaps it's a matter of people telling them one thing in surveys but then acting another way in real life. I really do think there is a general surprise at the number of people will to spend money in this price range.

Who is spending money? The product is not available.   It could be the greatest guitar modeler ever made... Who knows?   Just empty promises.   Losing credibility in my book. Unfortunately I believed L6 and I sold my previous gear with expectation of delivery before Thanksgiving.  Now L6 is wasting my time since I had planned on using this gear to work on a new project.   Thanks L6.    

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately I believed L6 and I sold my previous gear with expectation of delivery before Thanksgiving. Now L6 is wasting my time since I had planned on using this gear to work on a new project. Thanks L6.

I don't envy the position you're in, and I'd be pi$$ed myself. And while I find the extended delays and lack of supply perplexing, this is just a bad idea no matter what you're buying, or from whom. You don't trade in the only car you've got weeks or months before the new one arrives at the dealer, unless you really enjoy walking...predictions and promises are generally worthless, especially coming from somebody who's trying to sell you something. If you can't hold it in your hands, it ain't real.

• Upvote 1

I don't envy the position you're in, and I'd be pi$$ed myself. And while I find the extended delays and lack of supply perplexing, this is just a bad idea no matter what you're buying, or from whom. You don't trade in the only car you've got weeks or months before the new one arrives at the dealer, unless you really enjoy walking...predictions and promises are generally worthless, especially coming from somebody who's trying to sell you something. If you can't hold it in your hands, it ain't real.

I did the same thing as Frankie, except I was told "3-5 business days" until I can pick up my Helix.  So I didn't sell the car weeks or months before the new was was available... just a few days.  

Yes, maybe Line 6 will see the whole launch as something incredibly positive, but their lack of transparency on the supply of the Helix is atrocious.  

I did the same thing as Frankie, except I was told "3-5 business days" until I can pick up my Helix.  So I didn't sell the car weeks or months before the new was was available... just a few days.  

Yes, maybe Line 6 will see the whole launch as something incredibly positive, but their lack of transparency on the supply of the Helix is atrocious.  

Luckily, I didn't have to dump my rig to fund the Helix, but I did have two recording projects to finish this year and wanted to have it for those. Nothing wrong with the HD500X, but having the new amps would have been nice. I've never had anything that I've had to order in, backordered or not, be soooo far from the predicted delivery date with ANY retailer. This is first time I've had customer service basically tell me to cool my shorts when I asked for a a prospective ship date, also. I'm 99% positive now that GC doesn't honor any sort of purchase order, either, as I've talked to two people who ordered weeks after I did (in larger-market cities, of course) that have units or have them on the way, a couple people have walked into stores and found new-in-box units... and GC is still putting a hold on my account every 4 days, just in case, though.

Luckily, I didn't have to dump my rig to fund the Helix, but I did have two recording projects to finish this year and wanted to have it for those. Nothing wrong with the HD500X, but having the new amps would have been nice. I've never had anything that I've had to order in, backordered or not, be soooo far from the predicted delivery date with ANY retailer. This is first time I've had customer service basically tell me to cool my shorts when I asked for a a prospective ship date, also. I'm 99% positive now that GC doesn't honor any sort of purchase order, either, as I've talked to two people who ordered weeks after I did (in larger-market cities, of course) that have units or have them on the way, a couple people have walked into stores and found new-in-box units... and GC is still putting a hold on my account every 4 days, just in case, though.

That is so not cool.  :(  And it really sucks you couldn't use the Helix on those projects of yours.  I've gone one I'm waiting to record as well.  Just have to wait for an auntold amount of time.  :/