Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mackie Dl1608 Compared To M20?

So wondering whether anyone has looked at this new desk Mackie have put out and compared it to the M20. I have the M20 and I know a couple of guys that have gone and bought the new Mackie but I have not had a chance to look it over. Is it as good as they say or does it fall short. I know the price difference is a big jump.

Mh, don´t know. I think you have to take in account that you are required to buy an ipad in order to use the Mackie, it doesn´t work without it, the M20 does. You should add this to the Mackie price.

I also like the M20d "just play-around" approch and presets for common instruments und microphone setups, which invites for a lot of playing without learning about equilizers, gates, de-essers, etc. I think the Mackie is just more a traditional desk where just have the faders on your ipad and you have to know exaclty what you are doing in order to set up everything for good sound.

Haven´t thought about how Equilizers are set up, what frequencies you have to lower or turn higher if you have acoustic guitars and female voice in orer to create a broad sound before our first gig and we sounded just great with just a little bit of work regarding to setting up the desk. This is what I like about the M20D.

Nonetheless the M20 works with cheap USB wireless stick (well, most of the time and if you get the right one), the Mackie Needs a router so again more eqipment on the stage.

I'm not an expert... so some of my beliefs may be inaccurate... but I think the m20d has a lot of capabilities that I don't believe are included in the Mackie. eg Mackie can record the stereo mix - but not the multiple tracks... M20d includes feedback suppression (don't think the Mackie has this)... Mackie does not store gains in its memory... M20d also has the auto gain feature. I think there may be more effects in the M20d (eg vocal doubling etc). The user interfaces are very different. The M20d gives you a choice of an easy interface or the deep tweak mode.

On the other hand the Mackie has 16 mic inputs (12 on M20d) and 6 aux outputs (4 on M20d)... and there may be other differences that might be important to you.

It's probably best to invest a little time reading the specs for each desk... and then weigh up which features are important to you. Good luck.

Price wise over here in NZ is huge even when you add the ipad price to it. Though most ppl nowadays have one already. I am really hoping the difference is quite a lot with the performance of the desks as the guy who sold me my M20d has gone and bought one of the Mackie desks :-/

The Mackie had not shown up on the shop floor till a couple of months later but I am wondering whether he knew it was coming and wouldn't have minded comparing the two. I love the M20 so pretty sure I would have gone with it but for what I do as well the Mackie would have poss made the choice a lot harder.

• 2 weeks later...

first advice is to google it.. theres some good info on them both out there ;)

Its not really fair to compare the 2 mixers. DL1608 as far cheaper and doesnt stand a chance against M20D.

I have had both of them, and the only thing that made DL1608 better is price, size and the faders. In all other aspects the M20D is far superior.

M20D offers a HUGE variety of sound processing, recording options, dynamic EQ´ing, FSP, 4 global effects instead of DL1608´s 2 global effects and god knows what.

After upgrading to M20D, I have never looked back. but again, the 2 are really not comparable in my oppinion.

the only reason I would buy DL1608 is if I couldnt afford M20D and needed a very nice and small mixer (and have an Ipad). But even then i would save a little longer and get M20D. the possibilities are so incredibly bigger AND its sooo funky looking :D .

just my 2 cent.