Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What effects pedals are you still keeping?

cornerstonetom

I'm looking over my collection of pedals and my pedal board figuring out what to keep, if anything. I'm leaning toward keeping my POG, a Humphrey Audio modded Boss GE-7 equalizer, my old Dunlop Volume Pedal and Fulltone Clyde Wah. There might be one or two others, like an old Aphex optical compressor, but I'm just thinking of certain effects that I want to lay on top of a patch from time to time and not necessarily every time. I might just assemble a mini-pedal board that will plug into the send/return section of the Helix.

Between the sounds the Helix produces along with cutting down the weight of my rig, I'm really happy. Lugging around 82 pounds of pedals, board and case, plus amps and guitars, really lost its appeal after tweaking my back.

So, for you, which pedals still hold a place in your heart and playing that the Helix will "never" replace? What limitations, if any, have you noticed with the Helix that adding a pedal or two (or more) really makes the Helix THE rig to have?

Keepers:  Digitech 128+ for spillover

Bad Stone Phase Shifter (sentimental)

Cry Baby so my friends don't beat me up

Ernie Ball volume because I use it straight out of my guitar before my signal chain and I want three exp pedals for other uses.

Likely to keep my EQ, but not sure on that one

BOSS RC-300 (pedal boards count, right?)

My Keeley mod'ed Boss SD-1, maybe my Morley wah.
i am also very fond of my EVH phaser and flanger, but if I can make the Helix provide the same effect, I can loose those.

For now, it's not quite there yet.
Chorus, tuner, octaver, delay, stuff like that is on sale ;)

My Keeley mod'ed Boss SD-1, maybe my Morley wah.

i am also very fond of my EVH phaser and flanger, but if I can make the Helix provide the same effect, I can loose those.

For now, it's not quite there yet.

Chorus, tuner, octaver, delay, stuff like that is on sale ;)

The EVH Phase 90 definitely has a warmth and depth that is rare.

• Upvote 1

:) That's pretty funny!  BUT... you do bring up a good point about being able to use the HD500X through the send/return section.

That's currently how I'm using it, because there are some unique effects in there, or some that are absent from Helix. One in particular I can't do without is the auto-volume delay.

There's no auto-volume delay in the Helix?  Why not?

If I buy the Helix I plan to keep my EHX POG2 since the Helix cannot do polyphonic sounds.  I also have a Xotic SP parallel compressor and I might keep it because I'm not sure how good the Helix comp are.

I am keeping most of my pedals and will put everything on a 40 x 18 Pedalboard.

OCD, Timeline, Kemper compressor Pro, Radial Plexitube, TC Corona, Humbuster, Jerry Cantrell Wah and will probably will buy an Eventide M9 and

maybe another Strymon pedal (Rev. or Chorus). The effects in the Helix are great, they fit a certain purpose and taste.

The compressors are nice, but the Keeley Pro is transparent enough to give me a baseline and use the Helix compressors for effect, like sustain.

My actual distortion pedals seem to have a different bite than the Helix. The OCD "real pedal" sounds great on top of some of the Helix distortion pedals and works great for lead, not only rhythm when run with the Helix pedals. Love the Helix for live and as a controller for MIDI and audio on the external pedals.

Ernie Ball Volume

Pete Cornish P2 Fuzz

Analogman King of Tone

MXR Univibe ( I like it better!)

EH SuperPulsar until Helix provides a deep, highly configurable tremolo.

H&K Rotosphere mkII, my favorite leslie emulation to date.

Banshee Talkbox

Are the "real" OD pedals really better than their emulated versions in the Helix? Did you compare them? I am a bit skeptical as to the quality of the Helix OD pedals...

The Helix OD models are quite usable and can be tweaked to sound the way they should in the "analog world." Although, to my ears, my Keeley modded Rat sounds better, but it's close. I don't think the audience would really be able to tell, especially when you take all the other factors into consideration that go into a live performance. What's tricky for me currently, is getting the sounds I want by stacking ODs. On my board, it's really simple. With the Helix, I don't have the settings of all OD pedals involved sitting right in front of me like I do with my board. Checking the gain structures is easy with either, but just being able to make subtle tweaks is more of a challenge for me. The other thing for me that's easier with my pedal board is just being able to select certain ODs  from time to time for color rather than copying a bunch of presets and tweaking one value. For now, it's easier for me to make a quick visual check with my board. In time, I'm sure I'll learn the equivalent with the Helix.

One huge advantage with the Helix is that I can pick a number of different amp/cab/mic combos to get that OD (dirt/crunch/drive... whatever) sound, which when combined with the Helix OD models, yields some spectacular results that I could never get with my current rig, as I don't own a bunch of amps. Some artists just use amps and cabs to get their OD sounds and nothing else. And, considering they've sold millions of albums, they can afford to have a couple of techs set up 100 amps (no joke) to get the sounds they want without having to use the analog equivalent. 

Thank you for the detailed reply.  I realize that instead of OD models you can use the gain of an amp but can you assign various levels of gain to different foot switches?

If you're asking about making the OD stand out within a preset without affecting overall gain, I believe "Digital Igloo" answered that with this post:

http://line6.com/support/topic/16279-unity-gain-setting-signal-to-noise/

If you're asking about a boost function, there are other posts on volume boost.

From the looks of the Helix design, it seems like keeping pedals, even entire pedalboards makes sense with all the routing, input and output options.

For now I intend to keep the HD500x, no immediate need to sell it. I also have my main pedalboard, and all of it stays. Where I want to go with that one, is MIDI control from the Helix to my switcher and L6 M9.

As far as how to do that, I've no clue, yet! I have an 8 loop, Voodoo Lab PX8, which from what I understand, can be sent MIDI commands to toggle various groups of each fx on and off.

It's this thing:

http://www.voodoolab.com/px8.htm

I use the M9 in my amps fx loop, just for chorus, reverb, delays and some random other fx.

Pedals I am keeping:

Dunlop Hendrix wah, Keeley Bootlegger germanium overdrive, Keeley Neutrino autowah, Keeley four knob compressor, Keeley modded Ibanez TS9, Keeley Cure ALS overdrive, Keeley Seafoam chorus, Keeley phaser, Fulltone OCD, and Fulltone 2B.. :)

From the looks of the Helix design, it seems like keeping pedals, even entire pedalboards makes sense with all the routing, input and output options.

For now I intend to keep the HD500x, no immediate need to sell it. I also have my main pedalboard, and all of it stays. Where I want to go with that one, is MIDI control from the Helix to my switcher and L6 M9.

As far as how to do that, I've no clue, yet! I have an 8 loop, Voodoo Lab PX8, which from what I understand, can be sent MIDI commands to toggle various groups of each fx on and off.

It's this thing:

http://www.voodoolab.com/px8.htm

I use the M9 in my amps fx loop, just for chorus, reverb, delays and some random other fx.

Pedals I am keeping:

Dunlop Hendrix wah, Keeley Bootlegger germanium overdrive, Keeley Neutrino autowah, Keeley four knob compressor, Keeley modded Ibanez TS9, Keeley Cure ALS overdrive, Keeley Seafoam chorus, Keeley phaser, Fulltone OCD, and Fulltone 2B.. :)

You don't have enough Keeley pedals! :))) You're making me WANT TO KEEP my HEAVY pedalboard! Maybe I should start looking for a sherpa... That's definitely given me more "food for thought." Not quite what I was expecting but definitely well worth giving serious consideration. I was thinking that I could sell some pedals, pay for the Helix with just what I sell and keep a few choice analog pedals for fun. I would also have a lower back that would still function relatively well.

Are you making these decisions based on sound alone or is there another factor involved?

Thanks!

Yeah, I hear ya about the lower back! I have all those pedals on a large Pedaltrain board, with a Voodoo Lab Mondo power supply underneath. Weighs about the same as my DT25 combo!

Basically, I reached a wall with using my HD500x, and reconnected with the simple joy of plugging pedals into the front of an amp. Oh, and I forgot the ISP decimator g string noise gate too!

Anyway, it all sounds awesome, and despite being stupid heavy to carry, is really a sweet board. That, and trying to sell pedals, you always lose money, sometime a lot.. I used all George L's cabling on it, also stupid expensive..

I think that if I can get the Helix to switch up the PX-8 to toggle the Keeley pedals in and out,using the amp models on the Helix, to an L2t, and possibly keep the DT25 in the mix, it could be pretty cool! Major overkill, but since Helix can do all these killer extra routing options, why not?!?

Yeah, I hear ya about the lower back! ...

I think that if I can get the Helix to switch up the PX-8 to toggle the Keeley pedals in and out,using the amp models on the Helix, to an L2t, and possibly keep the DT25 in the mix, it could be pretty cool! Major overkill, but since Helix can do all these killer extra routing options, why not?!?

The PX-8 looks nice. Have you ever looked at the Carl Martin Octa Switch? I've looked, haven't bought... same with the Keeley 4 knob compressor... 

So, what about assigning multiple fx to a single switch on the Helix? 

http://line6.com/support/topic/16701-can-a-footswitch-both-turn-off-an-effect-and-turn-on-a-different-1/

http://line6.com/support/topic/16727-assigning-parameters-use-case-question/

I also suppose what I lug around and actually use are very venue dependent, ie worship team stuff vs clubs... some churches I've played for use a full blown performance hall (1,200 plus seats) with acres of space and lots of help for set-up and an amazing sound system. Others, maybe a postage stamp sized "stage" and a small, old, analog board that was once used in a garage type studio. (Ah, the good old days!)

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

• 7 months later...

I wonder if there's a surge of used effects pedals now being sold on eBay... 

Some, to be sure.  But I still love my analog board and wouldn't dream of parting with it.  Helix has closed the gap considerably, but there's just something about analog pedals.  I use Helix when I don't wish to haul and amp or need to go FOH direct.  If I can play through an amp, I love my pedals.  Maybe it's placebo effect, but it's MY placebo effect and you can't take it away from me!  <temper tantrum voice>

Will probably sell a few, but only ones I was never really happy with before Helix anyway. I haven't used any pedals live since I got the Helix, it does everything I need, but there are a few I'll always keep hold of - an 80's Rat, a reissue Phase 45, my Budda Wah, and a few others - and I'm building a backup board with an Amplifire, which I've been chopping and changing around for a while trying to find the right set-up. Once that's settled there are a few which I would be happy to let go of - a Vox Boost, Suhr OD pedal, and I'm sure a few others lurking at the back of the drawer!

Pretty much liquidated the entire arsenal of single pedals.  While you could definitely argue that some were slightly better than those modeled in the Helix -- I am going for a more streamlined approach these days.  Don't feel like I've really sacrificed tone or tonal options much (if at all), and besides, do you think Billy Belly-O'Beers in the back of the club can tell if I am using the actual EVH Phaser or its onboard model??   I did keep my POD HD500 --- as I programmed this to be a MIDI controller for my ElevenRack -- used as a backup rig which I keep under the Stagescape M20d in the rack.

• Upvote 1

I had already divested myself of everything except a Strobostomp 2 (needed for setting intonation on BFTS guitars), but since I got Helix, I've added a Mel9 and a POG2. They'll never model a Mel9 I bet, and a POG2 is probably so resource-heavy that I'd end up wanting an external one anyway.

For the ambient stuff I often need for worship, the combo of those two in addition to the Helix is just extraordinary.

EHX Freeze for ambient and Turbo Tuner for tuning. And I have my eye on the Mel9.

As PeterHamm said, they'll probably never add in a Mel9, but hopefully they'll add some sort of Freeze effect and improve the onboard tuner.

I am kind of partial to my TC electronics Hall of Fame reverb. But I don't really use it with Helix as there are so many reverb choices on it already. Mission Pedals makes a great expression pedal designed to be used with Helix in addition to the on board expression pedal already on the floor unit. So thats a good one to have.

Rockman Sustainer and an EQ because I had somewhat given up on that tone from the Helix, but Glenn Delaune has managed it, so while I'm going to keep them for sentimental reasons and reference, they won't be in line.

Rockman and a DOD Wah, but I don't use them anymore.  I may use the Rockman Wah for an external controller pedal.

Option 5 Destination Overdrive, keeping for sentimental reasons... no inline.

Pedals that I have used that the Helix Replaced besides my Rockman XPR or any of the rack modules.

Boss CE-1 Chorus (Helix has one)

Boss SD-1 Overdrive

Boss Noise Reduction

HUSH II C

Vox Wah

Elextro Harmonix LPB-1 Boost

Ibanez AD-80 Delay

TS-808

i bought a bogner harlow boost/sustain pedal with neve transformer and tilt eq. I'm keeping it .. it's nice in front of the helix to give a nice tonal input (from that neve transformer) plus the tilt eq is handy for quick eq tweaks. I wonder if it would be better in an fx loop tho? It sounds fine in front of helix but would i be raising any issues with the guitar input sensing on the helix do you think?

I have a classic Keely Time Machine Boost, a old Boss Tuner, a Teese RMC3 Wah, Ernie Ball Volume, and a Mission Expression pedal as well as a pair of H9's. None of them are going anywhere.  I hope the Helix or AX8 which I order can fit the bill of the Modeler to end all modelers.  However I have a gut feeling it won't.  But will be a quality option for many scenarios. 

I'm keeping my Nobels ODR-S. It's an overdrive character that I haven't found in Helix yet and that I'm very fond of. Also, I keep a little jam rig based around my Koch Studiotone, that I just can't part with, along with an M9, Truetone Route 66, the Nobels and a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus.

I'm keeping the H9, M5, Pigtronix Infinity and Beat Buddy plus a GR-20 for synth stuff. Might add a EHX C9 and/or Mel9 but not convinced how good they are just yet. There's a G70 and a Peterson stomp in there too, but don't think they count as effects

Mike

EHX Freeze for ambient and Turbo Tuner for tuning. And I have my eye on the Mel9.

As PeterHamm said, they'll probably never add in a Mel9, but hopefully they'll add some sort of Freeze effect and improve the onboard tuner.

For sure re: the onboard tuner.  It's not very good at all.  I nearly pulled the trigger on an EHX Freeze just yesterday.  Going to wait for at least one more firmware update before I do.  Pretty sure the Freeze effect was high up on the IdeaScale list.........

I am learning to like most of the pedal models in my Helix.

The biggest disappointment for me has been the Leslie models.

While somewhat use-able, my Neo Mini Vent is WAY better, so I often bring it along to gigs.

I am a Leslie-sim freak, I also have the Rotosphere MKII and the awesome old Korg G4, but they have much bigger footprints.

But since the whole point of me getting the Helix was to cut down on stage gear, I continue to battle tweaking the Leslie models.

I did discover that having the Leslie engage footswitch also turn off the IR helps a lot, as well as turning off reverb and/or delay.

The internal Leslies add an over-effected blanket and gross midrange to the sound.

The one effect I never excepted to like is the Simple Pitch, for 1 octave down it is very good, almost as good as my EBS pedal.

I did buy a Nano Pog, only to return it because of the lame crunchy digital latency in the sound, but the Helix octave down has none of that crap.

• Upvote 1

I sold EVERYTHING to buy the Helix but I did buy a Digitech Drop and I am buying a CryBaby Classic with the Fassel inductor.  

The pitch shifting on the Helix takes up a lot of DSP and is not meant to be polyphonic.  The Drop allows me to not have to bring extra guitars to a gig for the 5 songs we do that are down an extra half step and it sound VERY good.  

The expression pedal on the Helix is not usable for me except for volume.  The sweep is way too wide and getting from heel to toe takes too long for many of the whammy and wah uses.  I bought an expression pedal that I use for Whammy and I finally decided that I need a separate wah pedal too.  

On the POD HD500 I was able to put some dual lock under the heel of the expression pedal and then calibrate the pedal so that the heel was not as far down.  This gave it a shorter range of motion and worked great.  They eliminated this calibration in the Helix.  While I understand their reasoning (because so many people asked about how to calibrate the pedal) it doesn't allow for customization.