Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to? Electro Harmonix FREEZE -pedal imitation

efunkelist

I'm preeetty sure one could create a "freeze" effect in Helix, but how? Atleast I hope so. I had that pedal once but sold it away and now I kinda miss it.

Here's some reference:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=electro%20harmonix%20freeze&sm=3

Perhaps utilising a parallel path with a latch-delay? Any ideas? I can't get my hands on my helix for a couple of days and my mind is filling up with all kind of ideas of how to use that new beast ;)

I had a very quick play around with trying to emulate the Freeze by creating a footswitchable command which would set the parameters on a Simple Delay block to set Feedback at 100% and Trails to On. 

Ideally, it would also need to set the effect to bypass to stop new signal from going into the delay block, but I didn't get that far...

I tried that. The simple delay didn't sound smooth like EHX Freeze, it caused merely more like a BRRRRRMMMM or TTRRRRR -kind of sound :(

Today I have time to play with helix. I'll see if I find any other ways to do this.

About  the bypass, I guess one could use external loop (a patch cable) for the bypassing via the second effect-lane in helix. The parallel path is not enough because you can't control the in/out

Too bad, because atleast I've got other use for the external loops (my amp and analog pedals)

efunkelist - Thinking about the bypass element, if the Simple Delay block (the 'Freeze' one) was on a parallel path, putting a gain block in front of it which would then mute the incoming signal by dropping its output to 0 as part of the footswitchable command might work?

In terms of delay time, what sort of delay time have you tried? Also try putting a reverb block after the 'Freeze' block to smooth out the signal...

I tried the smallest (shortest) delays possible. Gotta try a short reverb too if it helps to smooth the signal - without making the sound very "reverby" though.

Gain block could work, gotta try that too. Too bad in attempt to get the effect it is getting very complicated, eating lots of DSP and blocks and all.

But I guess this is a more constructive way of spending time than gettin' wasted via substances... :)

I now have a parallel path which is the "ehx freeze":

Block A (bypassed) gain at -120dB

Block B (active) simple delay at 100ms, 0% feedback, 50% mix, trails off --- (this needs more experiment, could be a combination of del+rev)

Block C (active) gain at -120dB

I have a merged momentary footswitch which commands the delay to go 100% feedback, trails on and to activate block A and deactivate block C

I hope this is makes sense and I didn't forget any details. Once I have this patch the way I'm really satisfied I will ofcourse share the whole patch with you (need to learn how to do that too ;) )

Now, the effect itself is the block B and blocks A/C are the gates opening/closing for the signal to flow the way we want. 
I think the part B needs more experiment for the delay time. At 100ms it still creates an annoying rhytmic loop. Next I will try to smooth it away with a reverb or another delay. Or bunch of both :D in different orders...

Also, having a delay/&reverb in this parallel patch AFTER block C could help.

Now that we have the "output gate" (block C) there's no need to command the delay's trails on/off

However, if you have a reverb after the delay you might want to command that on/off if you step on the "freeze" quickly back and forth. There will be the previously caused reverb still reverberating otherwise. 

Still experimenting. I'm just too excited not to tell you about the progress on the way :D

I used to have the EHX freeze once but now I wonder why the hell did I sell it away, this is too much fun to play around with. Fortunately helix brought that back too :3

p.s. the particle verb is quite a beauty to use after block B even though it doesn't sound like the original freeze. This is something else, but quite nice!

During similar experimenting on Friday, I found that (for me) a delay time of around 250ms produced the least amount of rhythmic 'bump' in the sound. 

A gain block after the delay one would also make sense to prevent the through sound whilst the freeze effect isn't activated. 

I shall continue to work on this!!!

Yup, thanks,  that gain block between the dly and rev fixed the spill.

I've tried to vary the delay-time but it makes the same pop (or 'bump', rather a 'cut') in the sound no matter what's the length of the delay. It only seems to affect the "tempo" of that crack :L

We could also request for line6 to mimic the ehx freeze via ideascale (going to do that later today!)

I believe they could re-create by a unique code the same sound rather than strictly imitating the EHX pedal.

Right now this effect is consuming quite a bit of DSP and blocks on the path from other sounds :c