Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Valve MKii 112 - no sound

davee1966

Hello,

My Spider Valve mkii 112 makes no sound.

One day I turned it on and the volume was very low. It sounded normal otherwise. The next time I turned it on there was no sound at all. 

• The tuner works, so I know it's getting a signal from the guitar.
  • There's no sound when I plug into the "power amp in"
  • There's no sound from the "preamp out" into a mixer.
  • It looks normal, the lights and LED are working,

Seems odd that it makes no sound at all. Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

Do not touch the fuse with your fingers while it is in the fuse holder,....

... even with the power off. Capacitors will discharge into your fingers.

It hurts like hell. Leave it to a trained tech with tube amp experience.

If a fuse blows, then it means that something is wrong. Changing the

fuse doesn't solve the source of why blew in the first place, so it will blow

again at some point. Leave it to a trained tech with tube amp experience.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's the power tubes,... yes.

It's harder to see the glow of the pre-amp tubes. I usually

use a laser thermometer to tell me what's what with them.

I'm refering to the two tubes closest to the rear of the amp that are not in the metal housing.   I looked through the manuals and couldn't find which tubes are which and I didn't have time to disasemble today.  Regardless I might as well replace all my tubes while I'm at it since it's never been done. 

• 7 months later...

Just another data point that may help future member with similar problems:

I love my Spider Valve Mk i, so when I saw a good deal on a Mk ii, I grabbed it.  I verified it worked and stashed it in my basement for about 6 months, until I had time to play with it.

I turned it on a few days ago, and after a brief crackle, no sound.  No hum, no "bad" noise - total silence.  Lights on, tubes glowing, but no noise.  I came here and read some topics, including this one.

I checked the two fuses accessible on the back panel.  I verified that the new speaker worked by outputting my old amp into the new speaker; I verified the new amp would NOT send a signal to the old speaker.  I removed the 4 screws, pulled out the amp head from the cab and checked the two motherboard fuses - both fine.  Next step - check tubes.

Sure enough, one of the 12ax7b preamp tubes had failed, which I discovered by replacing them one at a time with old ones I had replaced and saved.  Apparently a dead tube can look just like a good one (especially if, like me, you have little experience regarding what you are looking at).

• 4 years later...

I am having the same issues.  One day I went to turn it on and nothing, no sound.  Everything else turns on fine, I can control the amp with my foot pedal but no sound at all.  If I turn it all the way up you can barely hear something there.  I also hooked up my speakers to a different amp and they work just fine.  I noticed that all of my tubes don't have any lights on them at all no yellow glow.  I checked the fuse and seems to be ok.  Checked with a meter and it measured 1.7ohms and beeped like it was good on my meter.  I have not taken it apart yet, but why would all of a sudden all of the tubes not be working?  If one is out will all the other ones not work as well?

"... why would all of a sudden all of the tubes not be working? "  --- When were the tubes changed out last?

What is the brand and tube numbers of the tubes in there now?

Any servicing should be done by a Line 6 authorized service center who knows the product. These are not the

all analog tube amps of old, they have to be handled a little different.