Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Distortion/overdrive clean blend for bass

Onomatopoeia

Hello

Is there a way to set up a distortion/overdrive pedal with "clean blend" for bass guitar with HD500X?

I'm using the "GK" - amp sim from the bass pack and really liking the clean tone from it. For distortion i'm using the "vintage Rat" distortion pedal that sound pretty good. The problem is that when doing that I'm "loosing" all my bass tone soo to say. I would like to "blend" them both together like on a real bass distortion pedal. Is this possible?

Any help would great!

/Danne

you can create a dual amp patch, put the distortion only on 1 path, and use the mixer block to find the desired mix balance between the distorted and clean tones

I have tried that with quite mixed results. Is it better to have another path with clean pre/full amp and distortion or one of the more high gain pre amps? With the latter one, I hade som issues with matching it to a cab/mic that would match to my clean chanel and amp without sounding "wierd" and like to different tracks...  Any suggestions on pre amp that would be more suitable for distorted bass?

I have a patch where i do what is described. To make it not sound radically different in volume with dist on vs off i turned the dist way down relative to clean. But it is still quite prominent when on. I used same amp in both paths. I have also found that i need to turn bass down quite a bit in order to play at high volumes as talked about in other threads here. I like to target even levels across the instrument. Choice of amp and dist and even mic is a matter of taste. I used the same on both paths because i wanted to turn dist on and off and have it sound like i turned on dist and have nothing else different. That may not be important to you and you could have more options.

I have a patch where i do what is described. To make it not sound radically different in volume with dist on vs off i turned the dist way down relative to clean. But it is still quite prominent when on. I used same amp in both paths. I have also found that i need to turn bass down quite a bit in order to play at high volumes as talked about in other threads here. I like to target even levels across the instrument. Choice of amp and dist and even mic is a matter of taste. I used the same on both paths because i wanted to turn dist on and off and have it sound like i turned on dist and have nothing else different. That may not be important to you and you could have more options.

This is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish! do you mind sharing your patch or settings so I can use it as a reference?

Possibly tonight (12+ hours) I can document it. My bass, pickups, playing, tastes are going to work for me but might be junk to someone with different tastes and needs.

FYI: I am using the bass hd pack. Not sure if my choices rely on anything in the pack or not.

Would be really helpful anyways, and I'm actually using the HD Bass pack as well. It's more about how you set up the distortion relative to the clean that interests me.

To be clear, that is supposed to point to a thread by Ed Saxman. I am a complete novice. Ed has put a ton of thought into using the pod for bass. Modified the link, not sure if it will help. If it doesn't search for 'bass tone ed saxman'. He has also posted bass tone bundles on here somewhere that get good reviews.

http://line6.com/support/topic/263-bass-patches-pod-hd-series/

Hey, to save time I posted the patch. Disclaimer, I am a complete novice and your mileage will vary with what you think of the patch itself.

Here is the basic premise:

- 2 paths each with the same amp and similar eq with the same speaker, mic'ing etc.

- the 2 path levels are way different. Path A (distorted path) is -11.5 db and path B (clean) is +7db.

- I use this with a supposedly FRFR Alto keyboard 1x12 400 watt amp with a bass with passive hum buckers (set to both pickups all knobs in center) with preamp in bass.

- I adjusted bass and presence fairly low to be able to balance levels across bass and with ability to turn it very load with my amp and still sound good. It was not tweaked at low volumes. I find you have to throw that tweaking away when you need to turn up.

Have not had the opp to try with a drummer live yet. And this is my first patch for bass that I have ever made. I am also relatively new to bass after not playing for decades. But hope you find the approach helpful to get you to turn Dist on and off without drastic changes in level and tone. I saw a youtube video of Bill Sheehan talking about his sound and he mentioned that he runs basically a dual setup, one clean and one distorted. I just tried to achieve the same approach with the two paths.

I think the patch has chorus on by default. I use this only with he clean path. I do realize that this means it takes two taps to change. I use the clean with chorus most of the time.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1400306/