Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Blend Mags And Models With Expression Pedal

adessmith

I just upgraded from the X3 to the HD500 and I'm having a difficult time understanding the routing options.
I was able to do this easily on my X3, by assigning variax channel 1 to tone one, and channel 2 to tone two. I then set the volume pedal where heal down was 100% and toe down was 0%. Both tones were active at the same time, but the volume pedal worked opposite for each tone, so when the volume was up for one, it was down for the other.
This worked out GREAT for me.

Any tips on how to accomplish the same thing on the HD500?

I think I'm starting to understand how the dual tone feature works on the HD500. I've seen online where people say you can have different sources route to different paths. It looks like, according to the routing screen, you have a single path at the beginning, and that splits at some point depending on your configuration, and then the mixer sums them back together at the end. I cant seem to figure out how to make the screen display two completely seperate paths, but maybe that isnt necessary. It looks like the "virtual mixer" on the layout screen allows you to pan one "channel?" hard left, and the other hard right. So I'm assuming this is how you route the outputs.
I'm guessing on the input setup screen, where you can select the inputs for  "1" and "2", they automatically map to the "1" and "2" on the mixer.

So that just leaves me wondering how to create a "blend" between the two channels, like I did on the X3 Live.

I've seen online where people say you can have different sources route to different paths. It looks like, according to the routing screen, you have a single path at the beginning, and that splits at some point depending on your configuration, and then the mixer sums them back together at the end. I cant seem to figure out how to make the screen display two completely seperate paths, but maybe that isnt necessary. 

It is necessary to get rid of that "single path at the beginning" if you want to have the independent processing.  The top path is "A" the bottom is "B"; Input 1 feeds A, Input 2 feeds B.  Don't know why they have different names, but there you go it is what they are always called.

To get Path A and Path B split from the start all you have to do is to Move the effect slots right of the split point (and up or down as you fancy) this should include the Amp slot as well if it is before the split.  The graphic will still look as if they came from a single point, but as long as no slots are on the paths you have the correct split, and then just need the mutually reversed Volume pedals controlled by an expression pedal (or output level from an amp or effect if you want to save on a slot).

You can also move all post Mixer effects slots forward of the Mixer which gives completely separate paths up until the final mix stage, and you can Pan one path left and the other right if you want completely separate outputs such as Acoustic sound to PA and Electric sound to Amp. Or you can leave common effects such as reverb post mixer.

• Upvote 1

4) double press the MOVE button to access the assign controls screen

THANKS! This was the part that I was missing. After I read this last night, I figured it out.

At first I thought it was going to take two effect blocks to make this happen (2 volume pedals, one on each path).

Later, I discovered you can set the min and max for the "amp volume" backwards, to accomplish nearly the same thing without taking up an effects slot.

Rewolf48:

The way the graphic always appears that the sources are coming from a single point is a large part of what was confusing me also. When I decided that that single line coming in was a "stereo" lead, I was able to make more sense of it. I think I have a pretty good understanding of it now.

Wow, this thing is SUPER flexible... but when you are using two signal paths with effects, and try to add any sort of pitch effects you can quickly realize the limitations of the DSP. It would be nice if each effect was assigned a number of "DSP blocks", of course DSP heavy stuff such as pitch effects would have higher values, and you could have a meter above your effects chain which showed the total number of DSP blocks available, used, and free. As you start to eat up your DSP, the meter would fill up to show you how hard you are pushing the DSP. Also this way, if you are "over" and cant add an effect you could see how many "blocks" you need to free up to make the resources available, and how many each other effect is using up.

The term "block" might be confusing though, because of the term is used for "effects blocks" already. Maybe just label it DSP or something.

Never the less, the HD500 is SWEET!

• 8 months later...

Hi, Sorry to barge in on this forum but I have a similair issue. Basically I have a patch set up with the mags of my 69 going to an amp and a few fx blocks and on channel B I've got the variax acoustic model going with no amp but into a few eq's and pre-amps.. All I want to do is blend in the acoustic sound using the expression pedal at certain parts of the song. The electric sound will remain in at all times. I thought I would just put a volume pedal in front of the acoustic line and by setting the max min I thought I would be able to turn up and down the volume of the acoustic. This doesn't seem to work though as the all that happens is the electric volume comes in and out and the acoustic stays the same!

I've tried panning each channel hard left and right but that just made matter worse and was miles off what I wanted to do.

Any ideas?

The thought crossed my mind that maybe it was just a bad patch and that I should start again with a blank patch.

Hi, Sorry to barge in on this forum but I have a similair issue. Basically I have a patch set up with the mags of my 69 going to an amp and a few fx blocks and on channel B I've got the variax acoustic model going with no amp but into a few eq's and pre-amps.. All I want to do is blend in the acoustic sound using the expression pedal at certain parts of the song. The electric sound will remain in at all times. I thought I would just put a volume pedal in front of the acoustic line and by setting the max min I thought I would be able to turn up and down the volume of the acoustic. This doesn't seem to work though as the all that happens is the electric volume comes in and out and the acoustic stays the same!

I've tried panning each channel hard left and right but that just made matter worse and was miles off what I wanted to do.

Any ideas?

The thought crossed my mind that maybe it was just a bad patch and that I should start again with a blank patch.

To explain what is going on you need to provide specific detail on exactly how the patch is set up, so we can work out the signal path.

What do you have input 1 and 2 set to?

What fx (and what order) are you using on the PRE path?  On path A?  On path B?

What have you got for the values in the MIXER block?  (Both channel fade and pan_

What fx have you got in the POST path?

What outputs are you using and where are you sending them to? (XLRs or 1/4 inch L and R or ???)

Thanks.

Okay I have variax mags on input 1, variax acoustic on input 2.

The top line is boost comp into tube drive into analog chorus input to soldano 100 clean then mixer.

Bottom line for variax acoustic is volume pedal, pre-amp and eq to mixer.

Post mixer cave reverb.

Mixer both channels 0 per cent.

Meant to add, I just use the left xlr output direct to a PA system.

I think this is your issue - combined with the ANALOG CHORUS in PATH A.  You are only taking the LEFT side of the stereo out.  From your description it looks like you have attempted to produce a MONO summed signal by setting mixer PAN to 0.  The mixer value will ensue that both L+R signals of PATH A and PATH B get mixed together to produce the master L+R outputs but it retains both L+R as separate ensuring stereo is preserved - it does not sum both to MONO..   However, the analog CHORUS is a stereo effect, and you get a DRY signal on one side and a WET SIGNAL on the other. I can't remember exactly which way round it is, but I think it's DRY on R and wet on L.   However, you have the VOLUME pedal on PATH B - so I would have thought that when you move that to minimum (zero) that it will remove the acoustic sound from the mix, so I don't understand why the acoustic sound is constant but the electric fades in and out?    

What  happens if you take both the XLR L and R outputs into the mixer, which means you will get both L+R output from the Chorus.?   Or what happens if you just take one of the 1/4 inch outputs (L or R) to the mixer?  (Using just one 1/4 inch output will sum the L+R sides to mono for you - so if you only want a summed mono signal that is the output to use to ensure you get both sides of the signal from stereo effects like the chorus).

What happens if you remove the ANALOG CHOURS from the patch?

Great advice guys, I'm rehearsing to night so I'll try all your suggestions then. I am looking to sum the overall sound and just need to be able to turn up and down the level of the acoustic. What you both say makes sense I just wasn't aware of what effects are mono summing, what ones are stereo and what outputs sum etc.

Thanks very much for the patch jandrio, I'll try it out. I'm in a rush tribute band and the song I'm trying to create the sound for is the camera eye. This has electric and acoustic for the verse parts only.

If anyone's interested here is a link to some of the songs we play. All my sounds are with jtv69 to pod hd500 straight to the desk and I use in ear monitors to hear myself.

http://youtu.be/6TCPrs683Jo

Thanks for the advice. I've now got it up and running. It seems adding the noise gate at the end fixed it! Seems strange that even when I connected to GarageBand using USB out that it wouldn't be stereo and still need the noise gate.

All I need to work on now is balancing volumes. Sounds really full when the acoustic is in but really weak and empty when it's out. It's all about getting the right balance though. Thanks to everyone for your help.ðŸ‘

• Upvote 1