Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vetta II HD Display Color

warode

Hi all,

I'm looking for info on how to change the color of my display to the black background and amber controls I've seen in some pictures of Vetta II HD's. Is this possible without replacing the display or is it a complete refit with a different screen? Any help owuld be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Yeah, I've seen both colors but there's no mention of it in the manual and the only thing I google turned up was someone communicating with tech support on their display being really hard to read.  They mentioned that they had one of the orange ones, not the green one.  This made me think that it's dependent on the actual display LCD installed in your unit and that it's not a setting that you can change.

Yeah, I've seen both colors but there's no mention of it in the manual and the only thing I google turned up was someone communicating with tech support on their display being really hard to read.  They mentioned that they had one of the orange ones, not the green one.  This made me think that it's dependent on the actual display LCD installed in your unit and that it's not a setting that you can change.

You can't change the display color. That was done when the amp was built and is either orange or green from what I've seen. However you can change the display contrast via the system setup button. The first selection in system setup is display contrast for the left and right displays, you can also change the contrast for when the amp is fully warmed up under the temp selections for the left and right display items where it says temp for each display. This is in the owners manual i.e. Vetta pilots handbook. See knobs, buttons and flashing lights page 3.5 functions item 22. See System Setup page 1 of 4 Display Adjust on 4.39 for details. This is for the Vetta II Pilots Handbook but essentially the same stuff is in the original Vetta I manual. The display contrast info is on page 4.34 in the Vetta I book. There is a lot of good info in the Pilot's Manual. It's worthwhile for any Vetta owner to spend some time with it as the Vetta has lots and lots of features and flexibility.   

I'm no newbe to the amp or with how they work. I know how to adjust my contrast and the temp settings. The issue is with the color itself. There have been ones with the color reversed, I've seen them. There must be a way to do this either in software or display replacement. THAT IS THE QUESTION. Please don't assume someone doesn't know how to adjust their amp correctly.

It would be nice if someone from Line6 would chime in on this, they built it and supported it (for a while) and could possibly answer the question.

Thanks!

Darrell,

Thank you for your wonderful insight into the question I posted. You have been SO helpful.

now ......  I know there are only two colors of displays available from the factory AND I know those were green or orange. Mine is orange with black characters being displayed. MY QUESTION STILL REMAINS ........ HOW DO YOU GET THE REVERSAL OF THIS FROM ORANGE WITH BLACK CHARACTERS TO BLACK WITH ORANGE CHARACTERS? It is possible and I have seen it on other models. There HAS to be a way to reverse the display properties on an ORANGE display to show a BLACK background with ORANGE characters or the pictures posted above would NOT be possible. I would appreciate if someone from Line6 or a Technician familiar with these amps to chime in and let me know how it is done. If you don't know the information I am looking for PLEASE do not respond to this topic as I don't need more replies of the OBVIOUS nature.

Thanks

Love how that last post was tactfully dripping with sarcasm.  Nice job actually.  No problem though.  I just didn't get it that you were getting it.  Anyhow, at great risk of replying to the "OBVIOUS nature" I've stumbled across a thread, with an official Line 6 reply, which makes me think that even the inverted colors involved different screens.  I do hope this helps:

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/27628/ 

Anyhow, sorry if anything I previously posted came across as disrespectful or condescending; that definitely was not my intent.

Darrell,

Thank you for your wonderful insight into the question I posted. You have been SO helpful.

now ......  I know there are only two colors of displays available from the factory AND I know those were green or orange. Mine is orange with black characters being displayed. MY QUESTION STILL REMAINS ........ HOW DO YOU GET THE REVERSAL OF THIS FROM ORANGE WITH BLACK CHARACTERS TO BLACK WITH ORANGE CHARACTERS? It is possible and I have seen it on other models. There HAS to be a way to reverse the display properties on an ORANGE display to show a BLACK background with ORANGE characters or the pictures posted above would NOT be possible. I would appreciate if someone from Line6 or a Technician familiar with these amps to chime in and let me know how it is done. If you don't know the information I am looking for PLEASE do not respond to this topic as I don't need more replies of the OBVIOUS nature.

Thanks

I think you're stuck with what you have.

For one character graphic displays like these are custom made for the manufacturer, in this case Line6, probably in China by the hundreds. Second, Line6 no longer supports the amp and likely doesn't have the display you want or would not bother selling you one if they did have one lying around. Third, there's the issue of being technically competent enough or properly equipped to swap it out in the first place. Are you a tech, since you're asking this question, I suspect not? If you were and were really really good, you could do it yourself by changing back light for the color and then re-biasing the display for the reversal. Of course if you trash the display you have in the process, it's over because they are made from unobtanium.  

Thanks lollipop for your reply. It's always nice to get help from someone like yourself in a technical aspect.

As for me being a Tech, no i'm not but I have several associates that are. As for the "unobtainium" your correct. Line6 doesn't offer them nor support them ..... I checked. As for getting something that WILL work, I have also checked and there are a few companies that do have them available. If I choose I can go that route but my question WAS and STILL IS: can this be done via software tweeks that Line6 had available in previous versions. THAT is why I'm trying to get a Line6 Tech to respond to this topic and NOT all the same replies I am getting about replacing the display itself. Unfortunately I must resolve this issue without Line6's input. It's too bad they abandon a product after they sell thousands of them to the public and then leave them groping around these forums for assistance instead of helping the folks that made their paychecks over the years. 

I have a repair manual and detailed schematics for the amp so if I feel like replacing the display I'll have it done professionally. 

And Darrell ..... no problem man, sorry for the sarcasm. My wife says I'm good in that respect for some reason. Also thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Thanks lollipop for your reply. It's always nice to get help from someone like yourself in a technical aspect.

As for me being a Tech, no i'm not but I have several associates that are. As for the "unobtainium" your correct. Line6 doesn't offer them nor support them ..... I checked. As for getting something that WILL work, I have also checked and there are a few companies that do have them available. If I choose I can go that route but my question WAS and STILL IS: can this be done via software tweeks that Line6 had available in previous versions. THAT is why I'm trying to get a Line6 Tech to respond to this topic and NOT all the same replies I am getting about replacing the display itself. Unfortunately I must resolve this issue without Line6's input. It's too bad they abandon a product after they sell thousands of them to the public and then leave them groping around these forums for assistance instead of helping the folks that made their paychecks over the years. 

I have a repair manual and detailed schematics for the amp so if I feel like replacing the display I'll have it done professionally. 

And Darrell ..... no problem man, sorry for the sarcasm. My wife says I'm good in that respect for some reason. Also thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

No it has nothing to do with software, it's entirely a hardware issue so it doesn't matter who responds. I am a retired EE and did this stuff for many years and have also designed several products that made use of character graphic displays so am well aware of what they are and what they require. The back-light color for the trans-missive displays is determined by a bunch of LEDs that are either green or orange which is what determines the color. As nothing is impossible, sure you can change things but as a practical matter I don't think you'll find it worth the effort and cost involved for a simple cosmetic issue. That is unless you happen to stumble across some display assemblies that someone has squirreled away somewhere that are what you want and they are willing to sell them to you cheap enough. If you do find them, be sure to hang on to your old ones. As I said, they are made of unobtanium too. 

I and many others feel your pain as far as the lack of support thing. Your best bet for support these days is the Vetta facebook group which is users helping other users.  Here's the link for that. https://www.facebook.com/groups/647483512018911/