Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the HD500 as a sound card-need help with (a real) Shure SM57

talbehar

Hey there

My HD500 is my sound card when recording guitar. My signal path is:

guitar>>marshall jvm410h>>framus 212 V30>>shure sm57>>pod hd500>>cubase 5.

Problem is-my level is a bit low and my sound a bit flat. I do not use any amp sims or effects in the pod. The patch I use when recording with this setup is completely blank. Do you people have any suggestion as to what I might add in order to make the sound more vivid and loud? (of course, I use proper mic placement and amp volume-I've seen all the right youtube videos-Ola, SMG, Bruce Ryan etc). Maybe I should add a preamp or somehting on my pod? I mostly record metal, but also some blues and rock. Thanks!

Check the Mic Trim setting on your Pod (a knob beside the MIC input); you may need to increase the trim.

After doing that, if necessary you could also the Vintage Pre-amp in your HD500 preset. It's in the EQ FX section. One of the other EQs that allows you to add gain/volume could also work.

ah, an SM57...tons of low end...I prefer 45 degrees about halfway between the dust cover edge and the surround of the speaker and remove the grille if possible...45 degrees help take out the harsh highs and tames the huge amount of lowend a 57 can pickup...I would suggest experimenting with the mic position before adding pre-processing to recording...

• Upvote 1

unlikely but even the Pros will listen to each speaker in a cab and mic the best sounding. You'd be amazed how many 4x10;cabs might have a dud speaker. (if in same room best record each one)

Test the actual mic thru the HD or mic input on the amp as a vocal mic and see if it is working properly and cable as well.

All obvious but check it.

Along this line is the capsule and condition of the foam inside. There are mods to these mics where the foam is removed as well as other upgrades.

Lastly the amp will have to be loud enough to be anything other than directly pointing at it. These Mics handle fairly high SPL; good enough for snare drums!

You don't want proximity effect excepting perhaps to cut thru live not on speaker dust cap but close on the paper.

Of course all a matter of taste, but a good Engineer knows the tricks to pulling a great tone and ideally you want to be able to excite the recorded Guitar in the mix. 

The multi FX Amp modelers are popular as the engineering has been done for you. So good on you for Engineering!

I prefer dedicated Preamps like an 1073 with them.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't actually used the PODHD as the sound card but I've used plenty of SM57s for recording.  Once I get my preferred mic placement done I usually just use a high pass filter in Cubase to roll of some of the lows.  Rarely do I need to tweak anything else but EQ can make a big difference.

• 1 year later...