Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning X/Y Amplifier State

michaeltheyoung

Could someone walk me through the process of assigning an X/Y state for an amplifier parameter? Really simple: I just want to have a low-gain setting and a high gain setting that I can toggle between with a footswitch. Not quite getting how I assign the "Gain" parameter (or any given single parameter within a block) to a footswitch.

Could someone walk me through the process of assigning an X/Y state for an amplifier parameter? Really simple: I just want to have a low-gain setting and a high gain setting that I can toggle between with a footswitch. Not quite getting how I assign the "Gain" parameter (or any given single parameter within a block) to a footswitch.

A couple of notes in addition to the instruction posted by Digital_Igloo in the link phil_m provided. You can also use Global Settings/Controller Assign to accomplish this. One thing that may or may not seem immediately obvious is that in, for instance an amp block, you can assign several parameters to the same footswitch.  Scrolling through parameters allows you to assign several to one controller. Picking one parameter does not "undo" parameters already assigned to that controller/footswitch. The "Min"/"Max" settings determine what the parameters setting will be with the footswitch in the on or off position (Min=off, Max=on).

Let's say you want the X/Y state of the amp to maintain a steady volume level when you increase the "Drive". You want the "Drive" to increase and the "Master" volume to decrease when you turn on the footswitch. Do the following using the command center or you can apply digital_igloo's instructions to take advantage of some shortcuts:

1. Select the amp block
  2. Go into Global Settings and select Controller Assign
  3. Select the "Drive" setting with the "Parameter" controller
  4. Select the footswitch you want with the "Controller" controller (redundant I know)
  5. Use the "Min" controller to select the drive setting you want with the footswitch off
  6. Use the "Max" controller to select the drive setting you want with the footswitch on
  7. Go back to the "Parameter" controller and select "Master"
  8. Select the footswitch you want with the "Controller" controller (redundant I know)
  9. Use the "Min" controller to select the master volume setting you want with the footswitch off (NOTE: in this example you want the volume to decrease when the "Drive" is increased (footswitch on) so the "Min" setting will actually be higher than the "Max" setting for the "Master" parameter)
  10. Use the "Max" controller to select the master volume setting you want with the footswitch on
  11. Customize the footswitch name if you like. Save your patch, you are done! You can repeat this process(steps 7-10) for up to I believe eight parameters, you will notice that both your "Drive" and "Master" assignments are retained.  

Now when you click the footswitch on, the "Drive" setting on your amp should increase and the "Master" volume decrease.  When you turn it off, the drive should return to the values you set under "Min" for the "Drive" parameter and the volume should should increase to the "Min" level you set under the "Master" parameter.  Remember the "Min" and "Max" refer to the footswitch state, on/off. The "Min" can be set to a higher number than the "Max" and this will determine what happens when the footswitch is toggled off.