Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are external CTL/FS (dual footswitch) pedals compatible?

Zaiten

Hi,
I've been a BOSS user for the past 10 years, mastering every aspect Of the GT MultiFX line. I'm in the process of transitioning to The HD500x to expand and experiment with the LINE6 workflow. I bought one already but it won't arrive until next week.

I would like to know if it's possible to attach a dual footswitch. According to the manual, I can plug an expression pedal into the "pedal 2" jack, but I don't need another one besides the built-in EXP. In the past, I used to plug a BOSS FS6 via TRS cable to the "CTL1,2/EXP" jack of the GT8, allowing me to freely program parameters to either of the footswitch buttons (labeled CTL 1 and 2 in the system). The GT8 allowed me to assign modes: latching or unlatching –to operate as on/off for effects– or min/max for specific parameter jumps. I believe the POD allows similar functionalities with the top row switches; nevertheless, I would want to use the BOSS FS6 with the HD500X. Has anyone done this?

173531.jpg

Will your pedal work? --- I don't know. 

Someone else can answer that one. 

But I wanted to make comment because you said that you won't need a second exp pedal. 

Don't be so sure. Until you get the unit you won't know of all the little tweaks you can make. A second exp pedal can come in handy. 

Me, I came from an Art X15, which had two exp pedals. So maybe I had just grown accustomed. But, I think the amount of features that can be adjusted ,,, 

you may not need a 2nd pedal (or 60 amp models), but it is definitely nice to have them if you do. 

I can say with a lot of confidence that you won't be able to use the FS-6 with the POD HD. The EXP 2 interface

can only deal with "expression" pedals with 10K pots (including the Boss FV500's). It wasn't designed to receive

momentary or latch footswitching. Some months ago I created a simple schematic by request for a footswitch

with a 10K resistor that would give partial functionality mimicking the extremes of an expression, but I doubt

you will find it useful, it won't give you the kind of functionality you are desiring unfortunately. The POD HD

FS footswitches themselves are quite configurable tho, there's a lot you can do with them.

Until you get the unit you won't know of all the little tweaks you can make. A second exp pedal can come in handy (...) you may not need a 2nd pedal (or 60 amp models), but it is definitely nice to have them if you do. 

Well, I'm eager to try. here's a patch I made, do you think I'd be able to replicate this on the HD500X? The BOSS GT8 allows for up to 8 behaviors/commands assignable to either the EXP or 4 CTL footswitch routings. Furthermore, it allows you to split the full range of the base-to-heel movement of the EXP pedal, accurately divided by a span of 127 measurements where base is 0 and heel is 127. I split it so at base (from 0-to-1) a harmonizer would be in G major, from 1-to-126 it would change to D minor, and at heel (126-to-127) it would momentarily push the harmony voice from a 3rd to a 4rd. There's a hidden EXP heel footswitch (like in a Wah pedal) that I programmed to flip from OD to Fuzz when pressed. Also, When in OD the Harmonizer would be on, while in Fuzz it'd be off and the EXP would work as a gain attenuator (at base it'd be 20% gain and at heel 90% dirty). In total, I used 6 assign slots, all applied to the EXP (and EXP FS) alone. is the POD as flexible to program as the GT?

I can say with a lot of confidence that you won't be able to use the FS-6 with the POD HD. The EXP 2 interface can only deal with "expression" pedals with 10K pots (including the Boss FV500's) (...) The POD HD FS footswitches themselves are quite configurable tho, there's a lot you can do with them.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm a bit disappointed. I thought maybe the AUX or other input jack could be assigned to receive FS on/off pulses. 

BTW, here's my floor setup. I use a VOX dual footswitch pedal plugged into the external EXP/CTL jack of the GT8 to assign MIDI functions and various effect on/off routing assigns. (this is an expansion to have 4 programmable footswitches on the GT8: there's the CTL, EXP FS and expanded CTL1 & CTL2 with the VOX).

HOG2%20GT8%20OC3%20SM7%20Swollen%20Pickl

Well, I'm eager to try. here's a patch I made, do you think I'd be able to replicate this on the HD500X? The BOSS GT8 allows for up to 8 behaviors/commands assignable to either the EXP or 4 CTL footswitch routings. Furthermore, it allows you to split the full range of the base-to-heel movement of the EXP pedal, accurately divided by a span of 127 measurements where base is 0 and heel is 127. I split it so at base (from 0-to-1) a harmonizer would be in G major, from 1-to-126 it would change to D minor, and at heel (126-to-127) it would momentarily push the harmony voice from a 3rd to a 4rd. There's a hidden EXP heel footswitch (like in a Wah pedal) that I programmed to flip from OD to Fuzz when pressed. Also, When in OD the Harmonizer would be on, while in Fuzz it'd be off and the EXP would work as a gain attenuator (at base it'd be 20% gain and at heel 90% dirty). In total, I used 6 assign slots, all applied to the EXP (and EXP FS) alone. is the POD as flexible to program as the GT?

The exp pedal can control a good number of items at the same time. With their own min and max values. Even reverse values (such as, volume goes up while pitch goes down). 

So, yes, you can absolutely use it as a fade between clean and fuzz. It can also control various expects of the pitch, but I don't know if it can do what you specifically said because I never tried. 

The exp pedal can control a good number of items at the same time. With their own min and max values. Even reverse values (such as, volume goes up while pitch goes down). So, yes, you can absolutely use it as a fade between clean and fuzz. It can also control various expects of the pitch, but I don't know if it can do what you specifically said because I never tried. 

my hopes are up. By the way, does the HD500X not have a toe switch?

The image that you posted, is the FBV "Express".

As I understand it, the FBV Express/Shortboard/Longboard foot pedals are only compatible with the POD HD "Pro"

and other various Line6 amplifiers and gear ect. They can't be connected to the POD HD 300/400/500/X. There isn't

even an FBV port on the back of the HD500/X for it to connect to in the first place lol. Not exactly sure where you

read that ? but Line6 have done a good enough job to be clear about compatibility there.

• Upvote 1

As I understand it, the FBV Express/Shortboard/Longboard foot pedals are only compatible with the POD HD "Pro"

and other various Line6 amplifiers and gear ect. They can't be connected to the POD HD 300/400/500/X. There isn't

even an FBV port on the back of the HD500/X for it to connect to in the first place lol. Not exactly sure where you

read that ? but Line6 have done a good enough job to be clear about compatibility there.

My mistake. I assumed that since all BOSS footswitches and expression pedals are universally compatible with every multi-FX unit they make, Line6 accesories would work similarly. You're right, the FBV isn't compatible with the HD500X.