Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Demographics of the Modeling Market

DunedinDragon

I've been using modeling for both recording and live in one way or another for the last 8 years or so.  I've also participated in various forums and discussions on the internet regarding the subject, and it appears to me there seems to be two classes of serious modeling users.

Probably the largest group are the younger crowd in their teens, 20's or early 30's who are less likely to be constrained by traditional thoughts and are early adopters of almost any new technology.  To most of them modeling has almost always been a viable part of the equipment landscape since they began being interested in playing.  I'm not saying there aren't those in this group who are resistant to modeling because of the influence of older musicians, but this group seems to have less resistance to accepting it as a part of their music toolset.

The second group, which I'm a part of and seems to be growing, are older musicians in their 50's and 60's who have been playing most of their lives and are very pragmatic about the equipment they use.  This is the group that lugged around massive amplifiers most of their lives and have spent a lot of time and money buying various pedals and complex setups to achieve the variety of sounds necessary to play different styles of music.  They not only find relief for their poor aching backs with modeling, but also appreciate the simplicity of getting what they need out of their gear without a lot of hassle.

The group that seems to be most resitant to the technology lies between these two.  They don't trust the technology, don't understand it for the most part, and are very resistant to change.

Granted these are just impressions I've gleaned from people I've encountered either in person or on the internet.  But it seems to be relatively consistent.  I'm curious if the people here have developed the same impressions for their experiences.

• Upvote 2

I fall into the older lifelong professional musician category. 

Regular readers of the forums have seen me say this before, but the story is relevant and needs repeated here (especially since not everyone is a regular reader). 

With a name like PianoGuyY, it may come as a surprise that I am, and always have been, primarily a guitar player. 

My keyboards have always gone direct to the pa and then fed back through the monitors. 

I wanted to do the same thing with the guitar, but I could never make it sound good. The technology to make it work was just not there. 

So... 

Knowing that I couldn't go ampless, I developed my gear/sound to go into an amp. I had a fully functional setup that did everything I needed it to do, and once I felt it was complete, I did not change/update it for 20+ years. There was simply no need for it - emphasis on need

Over the years, I had heard people talking about modelers and other pc type stuff, but I had a complete rig so I didn't really listen to what they had to say. All I really knew was that some of the work I was being hired to do, I just brought a guitar and played - they did the rest for me. But then, when the time came (late 2013) that I needed to make changes to my rig, I revisited the idea of going ampless.  

AND I AM NEVER CARRYING AN AMP AGAIN 

I feel like George Lucas making the Star Wars prequels. He needed to wait 20 years for the technology to catch up, so that he could make the movies he wanted to make. It just wasn't there when we wanted it, but it is now. He made the movies. I am now ampless. 

So, I take offense when you say that we don't trust technology and are resistant to change. 

I wanted it in the 80's. It wasn't there. This is how I feed my family (which consists of me and a harem of strippers), I couldn't use inferior gear just so that I could say "I was there from the beginning". I needed something workable. 

I built a rig, therefore there was no reason for me to keep 'wishin and hopin'. What I wanted wasn't available, so I moved on. And there is no reason to throw away a perfectly working rig just to keep up with technology. Through the years, I have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars by not buying gear that was unneeded. I don't care that the Helix came out or that Axe has something new. Until the day my HD500 breaks, it is my rig.  

I, like most older people, are not resistant to change. I just don't need to change for the sake of changing. I change when change is needed. 

-----------------------------------

However, you are correct in you impression that the young and old use modelers. 

I mean, that covers the entire spectrum. We could have just said --- ALL CATEGORIES USE MODELERS. 

• Upvote 1

I first got into modeling as a young teen, when I got a Digitech RP300 (turn of the century). I recorded with it, jammed with it and even played a few gigs with it.

This was all before I was an adult. Strangley enough, it wasn't until earlier this year that I've come back to modeling, with a 500x, only because after almost ten years of the same amp and an ever growing pedal board to tap dance on, I decided to lighten my load and diversify my sound with the abundant pallette this device has to offer.

• Upvote 1

Characterizing modelers to a particular demographic is what Line6 does.  They built a business on it.

Bottom line: Amps are expensive, big, and heavy.  Modelers sound really good and can replace them.  They're cheaper, smaller, and lighter.  But there are always people that will like them or hate them.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I was saying.  I'm not saying that people using modeling are ONLY either young or older.  I'm generalizing (which is always a risk) and saying that from my observations, the people most resistant to using modeling technology seem to be in the area range of mid 30's to mid 50's.  That's not a rule and I'm sure there are exceptions.  But from what I've encountered the folks that seem to be the most critical of modeling and the most dedicated supporters of analog appear to fall into this age range.

I could very easily be wrong because it's in no way the result of any quantitative analysis, just an observation.  I was just curious if it matched with other people's observations.

And I'm not saying ALL older people are resistant to change.  That would be ludicrous given that Bill Gates just turned 60 this year and he's certainly one of the biggest advocates of change in this generation.  But resistance to change is a common reaction among the vast majority of people.  It's not as prevelant in younger people..remember that companies like Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc. were all started by people in their 20's.  What seems curious to me is the trend among much older people (late 50's and 60's) who have dropped their resistance to change and adopted modeling.  Again, that's just from observation of trends I've encountered...nothing scientific about it.

No, you weren't misunderstood. You were perfectly clear.  

There are a lot of reasons why people 30-50 are not the biggest adapters of a lot of things. There's an entire psychology course that is taught in sales training. It explains a lot of things when it comes to money. 

30-50 year olds are also the biggest owners of mini vans, and the smallest demographic of sports car convertible owners. 

I think price and value are a bigger driver to modeling than age. Young and old may each have budget constraints but want the best sound possible. I'm 47 and could not afford the rig(s) that I can emulate - for a fraction of the cost. There is probably a narrow age group with money to burn and few responsibilities. And even then modeling is a great choice. There may be a group of old farts resistant to change but I would bet it's not hurting Line6's bottom line at all. And on that, I would think that much of their customer base is a 'home tone' user like me. Thats not to say these things aren't used by pros. They clearly are. That goes back to the amazing value we all get for the price.

Another real aspect of this age observation is this. I am 63 years old and still happily working in studios, playing, and producing. I started out at age 7 learning classical piano and then switched full time to guitar when I heard the first Jimi Hendrix album. At that time the price of a real les paul with a case was fairly easy to save up if you worked even part-time! Now you have to take out a mortgage on your house, car, and family to pay 4 grand! What teenager can realize his dreams with prices like that? How about a couple of grand for an amp now that used to be 3 to 400 dollars for a handmade and point to point wired amp?

If you ask me, music instrument manufacturers have become GREEDY with bigger than a capital g! Because of this money mongering, our younger musicians have had to settle for less quality instruments both in sound and construction! I subscribe to the idea that if manufacturers would worry more about realistically pricing their instruments and amps while taking a young musicians pocketbook into consideration, they would sell MORE than they do now!

We also have come a long way from everyone aspiring to own a home stereo system that rivaled some giant PA system in a coliseum. Now the young music lover listens to music thru earbuds shoved deep in their heads, listening to MP3s and raving about state of the art quality! To make a long diatribe short, as long as we allow technology to convince us that what they make is the best we will never understand the quality of what we had!!!!!!

And before anyone starts, I have had to defend myself too many times for using PODS, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, etc.....

I shed my amps back when POD 2.0 came out. I still pull them out and smile as I remember Jimi playing on that turntable. Then I remember how heavy they are and pack up my POD HD and my laptop and go to work.

I'm 67 now, enjoying the use of my 500x ( church volunteer musician ) and learning a lot here and from people like MeAmBobbo.

I think the study and experimentation needed to get such a device to sound good will discourage many.  But my patches are now reaching the point where they exceed anything I've achieved in the past with any equipment.  Granted, I've never had expensive amps. In my experience the "analog" route requires good equipment in all 3 areas ( amp, pedals and guitar ).  You might add a decent mic and reasonable positioning of the mic on the amp along with enough sense to keep your strings fresh and practice.

Once you get good patches on your modeler, running direct to PA leaves only the guitar/strings/playing skill.

• Upvote 1

At that time the price of a real les paul with a case was fairly easy to save up if you worked even part-time! Now you have to take out a mortgage on your house, car, and family to pay 4 grand! What teenager can realize his dreams with prices like that?

music instrument manufacturers have become GREEDY  

With inflation, a $300 purchase price (not MSRP) in 1960 is almost $2500 today, which seems about right for the price of a Les Paul. The higher end models you mentioned that cost $4k, they actually are not the same instruments that were made in 'your day'. 

And as to the American teen being able to afford it --- 

At the age of 11, I paid out $2500 for a guitar ($5400 in today's money) that I still have today. Anything is obtainable. You just have to make sure you know where your money goes. Spending it on every little item available means that it is not available for the big items. 

Quit smoking. In under a year, you can buy yourself that Les Paul. PLUS, you don't fund tyrannical governments with their $6-10 a pack taxes.

Kids that own the iPod 1 do not need the iPod 2 or iPod 3. That is all money that could go towards the purchase of non chinese gear.

Oh, and these dumbass musicians that play for free... they are the ones you should be screaming at. They ruin it for everyone.    

Yea I'm the odd ball, in the 30-50 age range and love my dream rig setup.  The only thing I hate is others that will bash someone else's rig based on their style and choices. Because someone else's rig doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for them. I play open jams from time to time and am playing those thought the host guitarist rig. Some of them a I hate, because they don't work for my style of playing.  But when the host guitarist plays it, it sounds good. It works for them but not me. It's not a bad rig or a bad tones, just not ones that work for the style and way I play.

am I wrong thinking that when you were only 11 years old was rather your father in making decisions and especially to shell out that much money?

You would be wrong, but that is because I am a freak of nature. 

I started earning money playing when I was 8. By 11, I was gigging 'regularly' and therefore had plenty of money to buy gear. That particular guitar was just my first high end purchase. 

In fact, when I bought it, they flipped. It was one of those 'teaching moments' where they tried to make sure I understood the value of the dollar and wasn't just throwing my money away. 

But then these days, I can spend that much on a night out and think nothing of it --- so I guess I have the last laugh. 

And I am totally willing to admit to the fact that I was 11 and therefore did not have to pay rent and other adult bills, it contributed to the amount of money I was able to save. But that is true for any teen that has become legal working age (16-ish). So, just change 11 to 16 to make the story more relevant to 'regular' folk. 

They can go flip burgers after school for minimum wage and drop a G or two after a month or two -- depending on which state they live in, because some governments limit how much they can work and what types of work they can do. ~~~ again, with the f'n government getting in the way of freedom.

But, when you earn $2,000, you can't buy a $2,000 guitar if you are buying an iPod, iPhone, iPad, and the $500 jeans that Kim Kardashian wears.  

I think where the government really screws the little guy is "the right to work tax", because it costs the same for everyone. 

I pay the same $52 a year for working 168 hours a week that the teenager working 16 hours a week pays. I pay the same amount for working all year, as the 80 year old that works retail over the six week Christmas Shopping Season. 

The difference, of course, is that I pay it for each city/state that I work in. Which means I am paying it a dozen times. While the normal people pay it once. 

I don't smoke!!! LOL!!! That was my point that you are not even getting the REAL item for even 4 grand!! I do agree, however, about the dweebs who have put professional musicians in the bread line because club owners now settle for guys that struggle to get thru 3 chord songs while sitting on a stool strumming a cheap acoustic and got there because they will play for nothing. On the other hand, have music lovers sunk so low that they settle for this kind of entertainment? I hope not.

Pushin' 60, here - started gigging at 13.  Tho I don't "make my living" playing, I work with a business band that doesn't go out the door for less than $2500 a pop, so I certainly augment my income quite nicely.  (Holiday season is here - kaching!)

Over the years I owned pretty much every amp out there, name it.  O'course in the day that's what we HAD - amps.  I for one am firmly in the "pragmatic" camp - modelers provide me with a quite-to-extremely acceptable source for my tones, at a fraction of the weight and hassle.  These days it's the 500x (which I had pretty much abandoned until hurghanico's "achilles heel" post - night and day difference) thru a pair of Alto TS10's positioned as floor monitors in front of me.  I get the sounds I want right in my face, the sound guy doesn't have to deal with the direct stage sound, so the audience gets a better mix - everyone wins.

Do I miss having my pants wave in the breeze from that full stack roaring?  VIscerally, yes - don't think anyone ever forgets the first time they plugged into a full 100 watt Marshall and bashed out that big "G" - yowza!  But I can get that same sound minus the insane volume with the technology - and my whole rig barely weighs what that Marshall head did.

Still have a buncha amps, and from time to time break one out for the feel - but day in, day out the tech solves so many problems that it's a no brainer for me...

I'm not expecting you reveal your identity..

but given your love for Jackson guitars 

Oddly enough, just a couple months ago, I finally felt comfortable enough on one of the Jackson forums to mention one of the bands I had been in. 

I didn't even give my name, just mentioned one band. 

There's always someone who's gotta ruin it- because within an hour someone had google'd it, and when combined with other little tidbits that pop up while posting over time, he went all fanboy on me and determined "I remember you, you used to date that model" and some of the other non-sense that can be found using the innerwebs. 

I was fine with some of the other guys when they said "I remember them, I didn't know that was you", but its just that one guy that rubbed me the wrong way and ruined it for everyone. To be fair, he did later apologize. He said he re-read his stuff and it didn't come out the way he intended. 

So, no, I will not be revealing myself. The autism let me do it once, but the aftereffects won't let it happen again, lol.  

To be realistic, you are in Italy. You wouldn't know me by name, and probably wouldn't know most of the work I've done.

I mean, you would know things like ---- 

I used to play guitar for Alice Cooper. Certainly you know him. But it is not like I can take credit for any of his fame. He was Alice Cooper before I was born. Nor was I ever part of the song writing team. I was just one of a hundred nameless players he had on tour over 50+ years.

And while I am more talented than any of the songs you may hear me play on, I have definitely given up on 'musical integrity' in favor of the almighty dollar. So, no, Bonamassa I ain't. 

LOL - y'know, back in the 80's the band Asia popped up and sold a zillion records. It was considered a "supergroup" with Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Carl Palmer - and John Wetton, who made his name in the Prog movement of the time with King Crimson and U.K..  In an interview during that time, he was asked about the criticism he was taking for "selling out" from his prog roots.  His response was basically- "Hey, do y'all mind if I make a few bucks doing this?"

In the music biz more than almost any other, this is the dichotomy - the mainstream audience, to be polite, is anything but discerning.  The most popular stuff is.... well, pablum is the first word that comes to mind.  And many of us still would prefer to fly the "artists" flag, take the road less traveled, and more interesting.

Early on with my biz band (yes, the almighty dollar.  But it's also turned into a really good band..) the "boss" (drummer) forgot his Iphone at a gig, where he played break music from.  He asked if he could use mine, I handed it to him laughing and said "if you can find anything you'd play to this crowd, go right ahead."  He thumbed down the list for a couple minutes, then handed it back to me with a strange look.  Not surprising - Dregs, Genesis, Yes, Zappa, Crimson, PFM - there ain't nothing mainstream on my player.  Why should there be, when I can turn on a radio and hear that stuff anytime?

So as long as that "almighty dollar" buys you the stuff & time to pursue the things your artistic side needs, never apologize.  It's a tough biz, and we all do what we can...

"And while I am more talented than any of the songs you may hear me play on, I have definitely given up on 'musical integrity' in favor of the almighty dollar. So, no, Bonamassa I ain't. "

Believe me, I am not apologizing for it. In fact, it is actually going to be a large section of my book - the events that took place that helped set the tone of the 2nd and now 3rd part of my career. 

I am also not wanting to hijack the thread, so in order to bring it back to topic...... 

The other thing to consider is the fact that some people just aren't aware of them. And some just don't want to admit to it. 

I mean, from about the age of 19 to about age 38, I didn't pay any attention to gear. I had gear. I had no reason to chase technology, I was completely satisfied with what I had. The only gear I was paying attention to was piano/keyboard technology --- because I own a store. I wasn't even trying to keep up with everything that was available, just the things that were associated with my little niche market. 

But, as I said before, when my rig needed to be updated, I became aware of what was available. And I will never carry an amp again. 

And as to people using them but not wanting to admit to it.... 

1. It is not very 'blues' to use modern technology. It is also not very 'metal' to use a computer. These people are using it, they just don't admit to it. 

2. I had a couple 'sponsors' for awhile. I had a guitar company giving me free guitars, all I had to do was be seen playing them on stage. Today, when it comes to what I spend my money on, I do not own a single guitar from that brand. I also had a beer company paying me. All I needed was to be seen drinking on stage --- BUT I DESPISE BEER. I filled the Budweiser bottle with Jack Daniels and collected my pay. There are many people who get paid to 'play' certain amps on stage. They can't let it be known that they are using 'fake' amps. 

Face it, this is show business. There is a lot of show going on. 50 Cent recently admitted that all of his jewelry was rented for appearances and then returned. Everything about this business is fake. We put out illusions for your entertainment. The image of the rock band with the truck full of Marshall stacks blasting at 10. But they are empty cabs, just for show. 

The reality of the situation is not "if you want to be a rock star, you need twelve 4x12 cabs." But that is what we sell to the audience. It is that unobtainable-to-the-common-man, God-like image that we sell to the little kids. It is what makes us Super Heroes. 

The reality, however, is the fact that we are using fake amps. 

No one admires John, the fat guy down the road that plays guitar in his garage on Tuesdays with his truck driving pals, even though he can run circles around anything you hear on the radio. 

But, Saturday night, fat John puts on his wig and dresses in some Ed Hardy clothes and gets his wife to put on a little makeup on him --- he goes to the local club and 200 people are paying $7 to come see him rock out. Standing room only. A line outside the door waiting to get in. Screaming his name. Wanting encores. 

--- because it is SHOW business. 

'Show' is all about the visuals. Modelers do not make for a good 'show'. Empty cabs that people don't know are empty, are good for show. 

We are all insiders here. Or, at least outsiders trying to be insiders. We are all musicians, otherwise we probably aren't here reading this stuff. 
I would never say something like that in the real world. Nobody wants to know how the sausage is made. 

Plus, it takes away MY income, if everyone knows the secrets. 

And I don't know if there is any 'businesses' manufacturing fake cabs (Styrofoam and cardboard are the most common), but there are already 'mom & pop' places doing it to order. 

Usually, for the local guys that only need one or two cabs instead of a big huge wall of them, it is just easier to buy an old empty Marshall cab. You can even store your rack unit in the back so that the audience doesn't see it, and it doesn't take up extra space. You look like you are rockin the stack, but all of your electronics are hidden inside of the empty shell.

Lol, before modeling, I have seen guys mic'ing tiny little Pignose amps while using a wall of empty cabs.

hMDyIu3.jpg

As far as I know, there is one place (not in the forum) that I did a little self promotion. But it does not specifically say that I am me. It could be anyone. 

And then, depending on how internet savvy someone is, because I converse in the forums someone could gather up all of the little tidbits I have displayed to build a profile. Unfortunately, that is just how the internet works. 

In the real world, I have had some rather scary events happen. Which is why I now live in a home that is not in my name. My phones are not in my name. Cars. Internets. Businesses. I do my best to not have too many 'public records' that directly link me to me. 

I mean, anyone can do a deed search using just a name and find out where someone lives. And depending on how open your state's policies are, your mortgage (which includes social security number) is available on that same site. Everything is accessible anymore. It makes it rough to be private. 

But really, is there any reason to know anything other than pianoguyy. 

Does the answer to a user's question about how to use their machine depend on whether or not they know and like my twenty year old mtv videos. 

I poise this scenario often: 

If you were to ask Satan, "what is two plus two?" 

if he replied "four", does the fact that he is Satan make his answer any less correct?

I mean, after all, he is Satan, the ultimate deceiver. Can you trust any answer he gives. Of course, we all know that the answer is 4. So, this means that he is telling the truth regardless of him being Satan or not. 

You would be amazed at how many people judge the source of an answer instead of the validity of the answer itself. 

A couple of truly thoughtful - to the point of brilliant - responses, PG.  Oddly, I'm in a somewhat similar situation, if perhaps a notch down - tho you wouldn't know my name (I'd be shocked if anyone did) thru the late 70's/early 80's I sided with, and contributed to, some names I guarantee folks would know. I've no need nor interest in being pestered for stories or "can ya get me into the show" stuff - my close friends know where I've been, that's enough.  So if your name recognition is several notches higher, I can see your point.

To your observations on "the show" - yeah, you've been there, no doubt.  It amazed me back then, and even to now, that the audience doesn't seem to see beyond the illusion.  But then, the entire film industry is based on the "willing suspension of disbelief", so why should the music biz be any different?  They come to be impressed - so impress'em....

One of the nicer things about my 'lil biz band is we don't feel the need to present that kind of visual shenanigan, so I fly my modeler, and little monitors, just as they are.  It's actually very refreshing to have an extremely clean stage look - and as noted above, the engineer has much greater control over the audience mix.  And at the end of the gig, making the audience happy is the bottom line.  So you'll pry my HD/GT/GNX/ToneLab/etc (perhaps Helix when they get it stable) outta my cold fingers before I go lugging around even a half stack any more.  (GREAT picture, btw!)

Oh, and for the record - I WAS one of those guys mic'ing up a Pignose!  Per Zappa's advice, always with a large diaphragm condenser.  Sounded HUGE out in the house....

Best o' luck in your ventures, my friend.  Enjoy the ride...

I think, if you look at some of what I do, modeling is perfect for my situation. Not just modeling, but a lot of the computerized and web based technology.

I work on a tv show. Last year I, I also shot a movie that was filmed 3000 miles away - while simultaneously shooting the show. 

There was no way I was going to fly coast to coast 3 times a week for 3 months with a half stack and 6 guitars. 

So, being able to have 120 amps, 35 cabs, and hundreds of pedals in something that will fit in a suitcase is important. Having that same computerized gear available without the need to have my own gear with me, just by installing my patches, is important. Being able to work in my spare time at one location on the stuff for the other location, just by hitting the cloud, it's a lifesaver. 

That is something that I couldn't do with amps, because we all know that not all Marshall JCM 800's sound alike. Even if they did, you would still need to dial in each exact tone each and every time. And let's not even get into what would happen if I was still using reels of tape for recording, lol. Unfortunately for L6, I do not use my own gear for most of this stuff. I use what is provided for me. So I can't promote the clips. 

But then, you look at the way they run some of these concerts and festivals. Where multiple artists are just showing up, plugging in, and playing. In the old days, the crew would spend all day setting up and then another 20-30 minutes between each band. Now, you set up the pa, and a set of empty cabs. The rest is all tech stuff that is already programmed and ready to be used. You just need to swap out and mic the drum set. --- unless you are Katy Perry, then all you do is bring along a copy of your album and a really big stereo system to play it through.  

Who is the modeling demographic? 

Everyone. 

As far as traditionalism goes: 

Even though I know that the little man behind the curtain in Oz's grand palace is simply pretending to be the great wizard, I still enjoy a good show. BUT, I emphasize the word good. Lackluster performances just turn me off. 

I don't know, maybe because I was born during the 'solid state' era, or maybe because I was so young when I started getting involved that I didn't fully understand everything I was doing and now my experiences have set my opinion... I always used electronics for my sound. 

Sure, I used an amp, but it was a very bland sounding amp. I used it for reverb (it had great 80's reverb) and volume. Things like tone and drive, they were always done with my rack gear. One way to think about it, is that it was the precursor to FRFR. And amp with almost no tone.

But then I used electronics to make such beautiful noises. 

It really just comes down to something I learned long ago, there is a difference between being a musician and an entertainer. 

Steve Vai is a great musician. But he doesn't make for good entertainment. Which is why he still tours clubs and ballrooms. KISS will openly admit to not being the greatest musicians, but no one leaves their stadium concerts out of boredom. 

Some people play guitar, while others play rock guitar. A guitarist may not be the greatest rock guitarist in the world, but a rock guitarist can't play motown. 

It is just those little nuances that separate people. 

I want to know how the sausage is made so I can make my own sausage. But I don't want to order dinner and be told how the sausage was made while I eat the sausage. 

Great post guys! Really enjoyed reading this on musicians ship and showmanship! As a amateur, I never attempted to put up walls of empty Marshall, of course I don't have the stage room in the local pubs I play anyway. But they do look cool. And while as a guitarist, I really enjoy a Steve Via type of band that can really kill it on stage. I also enjoy a KISS type of show where it's a spectacle to behold. Although I don't think the "Marshall" name on the wall of empty cabs makes any difference (except to perhaps musicians that are attending), it's just the fact it's wall of "speaker" cabs.  I thought about taking the Line6 logo off my DT25 before just for that reason but then I changed my mind because I don't really care too much about other musicians that down anyone just because they don't like the gear they use, so I don't care if those guys like me or not. I want to win fans, people that like my music and show, not my gear.