Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Minimizing Feedback overall

harpman58

Knowing the good reputation of Line 6, I decided to purchase the Firehawk FX. I am not a guitarist, but a harmonica player.  I really like some of the presets for playing Jazz, R&B, Blues, etc.  I use an Audix Fireball microphone (XLR) connected to LowZ to HighZ adapter (XLR to 1/4" M) into the guitar input.  Being also a sound engineer, I can usually control high frequency feedback by cutting frequencies between the 4-6K range.  On one particular preset "01A.HD Rhythm", EQ is turned off by default (meaning flat line), but still get quite a bit of feedback to the house when I start to crank the volume.  So on this model, I'm trying to maximize output and headroom without introducing feedback. One area to look at might be "Output Levels".  I understand what the "Overall" output level does, but a little unsure about "Guitar". I know the majority on this forum are guitar players, but any ideas would be helpful.

For what it's worth, choosing a non "High Gain" Amp seems to have done the trick. Using a HG amp introduces too much feedback into the equation. When time permits, going to play around with Drive and Presence to see what the optimal settings would be.

• 2 months later...

It would be cool if there was a global gate.  Seems like most of my presets are the same for the gate, at least by guitar.  With the two guitars I play the most, I have separated my presets, mostly changing gate and drive, so if I am on the active Schecter, preset banks 1-15.  My DropC Ibanez with the SD Invaders, banks 16-30.  31 and 32 are for jerking around.