Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Taming PA cab noise

spawn2031

So this post does not pertain 100% to the POD 500x but more the PA cabs that I use and since many of you are all about the FRFRs I figured I'd ask here.

This is my current set up 500x > EQ > Mixer (all on one circuit plugged into a nice octopus surge protector) > Pair of Alto TS110s (plugged into 2 separate outlets from each other and the rest of the gear).

The problem I am getting is a lot of white noise coming through the PA cabs.  I am pretty certain that it's due to the wiring in the practice room.  I get the same noise at home but nowhere near as bad.  I am looking at adding a Furman to my rack case for power conditioning which I assume will take care of my issue.  Since I am still kind of new to this kind of setup, if I get a power conditioner like that can I run everything into it for power and be good (6 pieces POD, EQ, Mixer, Laptop, 2 PA cabs)?  Or should I get one for my rack and separate ones for my PA cabs?  

Thanks for your suggestions!

...The problem I am getting is a lot of white noise coming through the PA cabs....

I'm suspecting that's coming from something other than the power source. Do you get the same noise when plugging 500X direct to Alto via XLR? (no eq, no mixer)

I have a feeling the white noise is coming from the EQ as well most likely due to line level signals being out of whack.  Generally something like an EQ would be setup as a pre or post insert effect either on the mixer's channel or overall output prior to output to the speakers.  Alternatively it could be placed as an external effect from within the HD500X signal chain.  Neither of those would affect the line level signals from the POD to the mixer or from the mixer to the speaker.

I'm suspecting that's coming from something other than the power source. Do you get the same noise when plugging 500X direct to Alto via XLR? (no eq, no mixer)

The first thing I would do is take the EQ out of the chain.

I have a feeling the white noise is coming from the EQ as well most likely due to line level signals being out of whack.  Generally something like an EQ would be setup as a pre or post insert effect either on the mixer's channel or overall output prior to output to the speakers.  Alternatively it could be placed as an external effect from within the HD500X signal chain.  Neither of those would affect the line level signals from the POD to the mixer or from the mixer to the speaker.

I just ran home at lunch to check this out, the white noise comes out of the speakers even when they are the only things on.  Currently they get plugged directly into a wall and since the amount of noise changes depending on the location is whats telling me it's dirty wiring.  I'm just still a novice at isolating that stuff and what the best equipment is to eliminate it on a budget.