Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quitting Smoking (Day 1)...Where's my G**D*** Helix???

PiFromBRC

The title says it all.  For my son's 4th Birthday, he's giving up binkies.  In a gesture of unity, I'm giving up smoking.  After thirty years.  Here's the timeline so far:

7:00 AM:  Wake up.  Habitually grab a cigarette

7:08 AM:  F***!

7:30:  Wake him up.  Take away his binks

8:30:  "I got this...I think I'm going to ace this...no worries"

8:45 AM: "Damn..a smoke would be nice..."

9:50 AM:  Down the rabbit hole....

I sincerely hope that the 12/4 ship date from Musician's Friend holds true. 

Good luck quitting smoking. Sounds to me like you have all the right motivations in place. When you get your Helix, I'm quite sure you'll have something more to keep your mind easily distracted. So it should be a big help.

I've smoked about as long as you and have been down to 2 or 3 (not packs!) a day for quite some time, years. I guess I just like the nicotine head-rush, which you actually get when you smoke so few.

The title says it all. For my son's 4th Birthday, he's giving up binkies. In a gesture of unity, I'm giving up smoking. After thirty years. Here's the timeline so far:

7:00 AM: Wake up. Habitually grab a cigarette

7:08 AM: F***!

7:30: Wake him up. Take away his binks

8:30: "I got this...I think I'm going to ace this...no worries"

9:50 AM: Down the rabbit hole....

You just need to replace the smokes with something else....like crystal meth,or heroin. You'll forget all about the cigarettes. ;)

Seriously though, cold turkey is the only way to do it. Been there myself...good luck!

The title says it all.  For my son's 4th Birthday, he's giving up binkies.  In a gesture of unity, I'm giving up smoking.  After thirty years.  Here's the timeline so far:

Not like this is a good suggestion, but.. if it keeps you from relapsing on the cigs, or prevents murder! :) Maybe give a decent vapor rig a try? Not the disposable crap, get a decent refillable atomizer and a battery with adjustable voltage. Something along these lines?

http://www.modernvapor.com/Default.asp

You can start with a certain % nicotine, then reduce the amount. Like I said, not a great suggestion, my buddy doesn't smoke cigs anymore, but he inhales on that vapor rig non stop. Still, it's better than smoke!

I just did my Sweetwater Helix pre-order, looking at first of year for mine. 

Good Luck!!! rock on

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like the Musician's Friend 12/4 ship date just moved out to 12/11.  I know because I check it daily, awaiting my unit like you.  I guess I'll have to wait another week until I give up my crack addiction!!!   :)

Congrats on those that have improved their life by letting go of cigarettes, and to those that are taking the journey in doing so. 

I don't smoke cigarettes, but most of the people I have ever known do, (family, friends, etc) I see how hard it is to quit. But it is possible.  I also know first hand how miserable it can be waiting on people for their (quite often)smoke breaks, the smell, the health dangers of it, and as a child having to deal with it because both parents smoked those nasty things.  It can be very bad not just for the people smoking them. 

I mean we all got decent at playing guitar did we not, well then we have the potential to do far more, so quitting is well within your grasps.

My GF has stopped smoking cigarettes about 3 weeks ago, and has been good about it. It is hard for her, I can tell. But she will stay strong, as I will stay on her hardcore!

Yeah, I caved.  F-U-LOLLIPOP-C-K.

I tore MF a new one yesterday.  I ordered this on 11-3.  I called my gear head and he said I was number 40 in line.  On the eleventh they finally corrected the shipping address (I want it to go to my office).  Apparently they cancelled the order instead of simply changing the shipping address.  Thanks TOM!  That threw me back to the end of the list, but I wasn't informed of this little development.  Kicked back once.  Kicked back a second time.  Then ncockerill above tells me of the 12/4 push back.  Now I'm starting to sweat because I have some gigs coming up.  I call Dalton at MF and he tells me I was number 7 in line.  Yesterday I log on to find out it was pushed back to the first of the year.  Said ciggie caving occurs.  I call and end up with John at MF for a one hour discussion.  He finds out that I am actually number 41 in line because of Tom's F-up way back on the eleventh.  Several hold times later, and one hour in to the conversation, I find out the truth.  I'm number 41.  Then I learned that they currently have 40 in stock.  Number 41 starts to sound really bad.

John will be calling me next week with an update.  If what he says holds true, my future MF purchases will be with him.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I caved.  F-U-LOLLIPOP-C-K.

I tore MF a new one yesterday.  I ordered this on 11-3.  I called my gear head and he said I was number 40 in line.  On the eleventh they finally corrected the shipping address (I want it to go to my office).  Apparently they cancelled the order instead of simply changing the shipping address.  Thanks TOM!  That threw me back to the end of the list, but I wasn't informed of this little development.  Kicked back once.  Kicked back a second time.  Then ncockerill above tells me of the 12/4 push back.  Now I'm starting to sweat because I have some gigs coming up.  I call Dalton at MF and he tells me I was number 7 in line.  Yesterday I log on to find out it was pushed back to the first of the year.  Said ciggie caving occurs.  I call and end up with John at MF for a one hour discussion.  He finds out that I am actually number 41 in line because of Tom's F-up way back on the eleventh.  Several hold times later, and one hour in to the conversation, I find out the truth.  I'm number 41.  Then I learned that they currently have 40 in stock.  Number 41 starts to sound really bad.

John will be calling me next week with an update.  If what he says holds true, my future MF purchases will be with him.

No wonder you caved in, all that mess with ordering?? Sheeeesh Don't they know when people order something they listen carefully to what is said?

On the positive note I really hope you stop smoking.

Just a suggestion but if you put the money you save from not buying cigarettes into something more positive, such as your son, it would surely be more rewarding. I remember doing the math and if you buy 2 packs a day the savings in one year can be in the thousands. In 3 years it could be close to 9 grand and that's at $4 dollars a pack and I know they are much more than that now. Take it from someone who's dad made me work hard starting at 6-7 years old and barely fed and watered me. I was skinny as a string bean for years, lol. It took a bad injury and many years later for me to go from 175 to 225 which was my minimum weight.

Good Luck with everything.

No wonder you caved in, all that mess with ordering?? Sheeeesh Don't they know when people order something they listen carefully to what is said?

On the positive note I really hope you stop smoking.

Just a suggestion but if you put the money you save from not buying cigarettes into something more positive, such as your son, it would surely be more rewarding. I remember doing the math and if you buy 2 packs a day the savings in one year can be in the thousands. In 3 years it could be close to 9 grand and that's at $4 dollars a pack and I know they are much more than that now. Take it from someone who's dad made me work hard starting at 6-7 years old and barely fed and watered me. I was skinny as a string bean for years, lol. It took a bad injury and many years later for me to go from 175 to 225 which was my minimum weight.

Good Luck with everything.

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm in Cali and I smoke American Spirits...for eight bucks a pack.  Though having caved, I wouldn't call it a full-blown relapse.  Yesterday I smoked seven cigarettes.  Right now I laid out six.  Homebaby gets his stand in unity.  Tomorrow both of my neighbors quit.  If a frikkin' four year old has to give up the binks, three adults can give up the "gwomup" version of binks.  We're hosting Turkey Day this week and there are going to be three grumpy adults, one naturally vegetarian toddler, and a bunch of guests who will be wondering why the lollipop they came.

My kiddo is worth it.

Now let's see if MF makes good on their word.  I'm worth it.

• Upvote 2

Well I was supposedly 20th in line at MF a week ago, they might have 40 in stock but I haven't seen a shipping notice.

Yeah...I think they pull an arbitrary number out of their arse when they tell us where we are.  I actually demanded a hard number when I had this last conversation.  It took an hour to get that number.  John gave me a verbal pinkie promise when he gave me that number, so pants on fire if it was another round of BS The PO'd Customer.

I'm curious when you actually ordered yours.

It gives me no pleasure to say this, but is it not obvious yet that you're all being lied to?..."you're #7, you're #40, Dec 12th, first of the year, we changed your shipping address, oops canceled the order instead. We have 40 in stock, but wouldn't you know it, you're #41."

They make this sh*t up as they go along. The longer the conversation, the more fantastic the lie. They simply don't enough to fill their orders, if they have any at all...and they have no idea when more are coming. They're never going to admit this, and you're not going to get the truth no matter whom you talk to. The farther up the totem pole they are, the bigger the lies they're authorized to tell. It's how business works, regrettably. How much more evidence do you need?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm in Cali and I smoke American Spirits...for eight bucks a pack.  Though having caved, I wouldn't call it a full-blown relapse.  Yesterday I smoked seven cigarettes.  Right now I laid out six.  Homebaby gets his stand in unity.  Tomorrow both of my neighbors quit.  If a frikkin' four year old has to give up the binks, three adults can give up the "gwomup" version of binks.  We're hosting Turkey Day this week and there are going to be three grumpy adults, one naturally vegetarian toddler, and a bunch of guests who will be wondering why the lollipop they came.

My kiddo is worth it.

Now let's see if MF makes good on their word.  I'm worth it.

Don't give up!!! Like I said, I've been smoke free for about three weeks but I've been "quitting" for almost two years. Never quit quitting. And remember, the urge never goes away. My dad hadn't smoked for 25 years. I lit up around him and he asked me for one. He told me then that it was his first in 25 years and that the urge never goes away. So never give up. It will be a life long process.

Don't give up!!! Like I said, I've been smoke free for about three weeks but I've been "quitting" for almost two years. Never quit quitting. And remember, the urge never goes away. My dad hadn't smoked for 25 years. I lit up around him and he asked me for one. He told me then that it was his first in 25 years and that the urge never goes away. So never give up. It will be a life long process.

I disagree. I quit after 15 years, smoke free for 15 years and have no urge whatsoever. In fact, 2nd hand cigarette smoke now just gives me a headache. Guess everyone is different though, I do understand how hard it is to quit. Took me two go-arounds with the parch, but finally stuck. If you can make it two weeks, you should be good. But was not this a question about the Helix? I ordered mine via AMS around October 15th and I am still waiting...

I should add that I don't do business with guitar center or musicians friend any longer. I pretty much exclusively use AMS and zZounds. Sweetwater once in a while, but the pay as you play plans that AMS and zZounds offer are excellent.

I disagree. I quit after 15 years, smoke free for 15 years and have no urge whatsoever. In fact, 2nd hand cigarette smoke now just gives me a headache. Guess everyone is different though, I do understand how hard it is to quit. Took me two go-arounds with the parch, but finally stuck. If you can make it two weeks, you should be good. But was not this a question about the Helix? I ordered mine via AMS around October 15th and I am still waiting...

Glad to hear that. Gives me hope.

And yes, on to the Helix.

Just think of each pack you don't have to buy as being one step closer to a "free" Helix!

I haven't lit up in 20+ years, however...

Depending on where you are, and the relative absurdity of your local taxes, (levied by all those ultra-caring politicians who claim to be up all night, concerned about YOUR health, yet are still prefectly willing to collect tobacco tax revenue) that might be a whole lot sooner than you think. Here in NY, most packs of smokes will run you $10...so a pack a day habit will cost you the price of your Helix in a little over 5 months...food for thought.

• Upvote 1

I quit 3 times, once for nearly a year before I finally did it for good.  That was in '89 and thank God I never touched them again.  Cold turkey is the only thing that worked for me.  It's hard as hell but remember, nicotine is water soluble and is totally flushed from your body in 24 hours.  Its not a physical thing after that but the habits are the hardest things to overcome.  Keep some Tic Tacs or gum and use it when you feel the urge, keep a few picks in your pocket just to have something in your hand.  The little things help.  Remember, you only have to quit for today!  In less than 6 months you will have saved enough to pay for that Helix...

• Upvote 2

I know this getting off the original subject a little, lol, but when I was 7 yrs. old I smoked a cigarette and I remember it tasted good. It's a funny story how I got that ciggie but I won't go into that. Back to the taste. I distinctly remember it tasted very good I tried inhaling but coughed and so I gently smoked it, lol. It had a liquor like taste. I didn't know how to describe it 'till 30 yrs. later, lol.

30 yrs. later I met someone who was very knowledgeable in the subject and I told him what I remembered and that I tried one of the recent cigarettes, the ones that had the new paper wrap that would prevent a cigarette from burning if it wasn't being smoked for a short length of time. The brand was the same it was just years later. So I pointed out to him that the old cigarettes tasted better than the newer cigarettes and that it was a major difference. The new ones were disgusting to me. I also said that maybe my taste buds were off or something although I have great smell and taste abilities.

After listening to me he said it's not you the cigarettes have changed and I'll tell you why. He said that in the year I smoked that first cigarette the cigarette company's put chocolate liquor, from the husk of the chocolate bean, in them to make them taste good. This got people hooked and the habit embedded. Then since the chocolate liquor has more value in cigars and other products some time later (years) they stopped putting it in the cigarettes to save money. Chocolate liquor is the solid or semiplastic food prepared by finely grinding cacao nibs.

I can't prove any of this but it made sense to me. Smoking never became a habit for me.

Edited by Brazzy
  • Upvote 1

I know this getting off the original subject a little, lol, but when I was 7 yrs old I smoked a cigarette and I remember it tasted good. It's a funny story how I got that ciggie but I won't go into that. Back to the taste. I distinctly remember it tasted very good I tried inhaling but coughed and so I gently smoked it, lol. It had a liquor like taste. I didn't know how to describe it 'till 30 yrs. later, lol.

30 yrs. later I met someone who was very knowledgeable in the subject and I told him what I remembered and that I tried one of the recent cigarettes, the ones that had the new paper wrap that would prevent a cigarette from burning if it wasn't being smoked for a short length of time. The brand was the same it was just years later. So I pointed out to him that the old cigarettes tasted better than the newer cigarettes and that it was a major difference. The new ones were disgusting to me. I also said that maybe my taste buds were off or something although I have great smell and taste abilities.

After listening to me he said it's not you the cigarettes have changed and I'll tell you why. He said that in the year I smoked that first cigarette the cigarette company's put chocolate liquor in them to make them taste good, this got people hooked and the habit embedded. Then since the chocolate liquor has more value in cigars some time later (years) they stopped putting it in the cigarettes to save money.

I can't prove any of this but it made sense to me. Smoking never became a habit for me.

Haha. Funny story. I have some nefarious memories about obtaining cigarettes when quite young as well.

I don't know if it was true back whenever, but today at least, there are literally hundreds of chemicals in a cigarette, many of which I'm sure contribute to the taste. Many probably put in there for the sake of taste alone.

You're fortunate that it never became a habit for you.

• Upvote 1