Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Get max DSP processing available for electric guitar when also setting up acoustic guitar or Mic patch within the same preset

HonestOpinion

I tried to provide some background as to why I am using this routing scheme but if you prefer not to read about my opinion on DSP limitations and want to get directly to how to get the max processing power available for the electric in a "hybrid" preset please feel free to skip right down to the "Method for using more DSP intensive electric guitar patch and also setting up acoustic guitar or Mic patch within the same preset:"   You can also download the Template from the Line6 CustomTone library for this preset at http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1460280/ .

Well, I just hit my first DSP limited issue. I know DSP limitations are currently an issue on every manufacturers equipment be it Boss, Axe, Line6 or whoever, but man are they a drag! The DSP limitations force you to pick mono where maybe you wanted stereo, not use certain effects, and not be able to utilize all of the slots available in the routing paths. I look forward to a time when we look back at DSP issues as an obsolete and ridiculous hardware problem. It just seems inane to get a "Not enough DSP" message or have effects grayed out. In essence the system is telling you, "I don't have powerful enough or adequate hardware to allow the full potential of the operating system"; despite the fact that the Helix is using state of the art hardware. Either that or even worse, other manufacturer's multi-effect units will limit you as to which effects you can double up on or use such that you never see the "Out of DSP" message even though the DSP is maxed. I am not picking on Line6 as this is a limitation on all current hardware platforms available. Line6 definitely made the best choice regarding DSP limitations, opting for maximum flexibility for the user instead of hiding the message by limiting what you can do.

I can only get about 12 out of the 16 available blocks on a single Serial path (Path 1) loaded up. After block number 12 the Helix tells me there is not enough DSP to load block 13. Your results may vary depending on what you are trying to load up. I realize certain effects, stereo effects, and amp-cab blocks use more DSP but I am loading mono versions of whatever I can.

Has anyone tried to load up 16 blocks on Path 1? I think you will find that depending on which effects you choose, even in mono, you will be challenged to be able to actually use all 16 blocks without getting an 'out of DSP' message or seeing an all gray screen when you try to add another effect. Yes, you can get more processing power and available blocks when you add Path 2 for a "Super Serial" setup but I was hoping to use Path 2 solely for my acoustic guitar or a microphone. And of course, even if you run in Super Serial you probably won't be able to use even close to all 32 blocks (not that I can ever see needing that many for one input/patch).

I like having both guitars set up in one preset as I have found that when I have a separate preset for the acoustic guitar, when I am switching guitars during a gig, every once in a while I forget to either switch to the patch for the acoustic or forget to switch back when I go back to the electric. Of course, having a separate preset(s) for the acoustic is a perfectly acceptable solution as well and should get you around any DSP limitations. However if you are trying to use an electric guitar and a Mic in the same patch this routing scheme may be your best option.

Method for using more DSP intensive electric guitar patch and also setting up acoustic guitar or Mic patch within the same preset:
The following is a routing scheme that devotes up to the maximum DSP power and 24 blocks to the electric guitar while leaving 8 blocks available for a second input such as acoustic guitar or mic. I use this for presets where Path 1 alone does not have enough DSP for my electric guitar patch. This routing scheme gives me all the available DSP for the electric but also allows me to have a separate path for my acoustic or a mic :

You can download the Template from the Line6 CustomTone library for this preset at http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1460280/

Note: You can use the Line6 Super Serial x2 template as a starting place for this routing scheme. Make sure you turn the 1A Output block's "Level" all the way down per the manual's instructions for "Super Serial". You will also have to drag down the split and merge blocks on the 2A path to get the separate route for your mic or acoustic. I also set the split blocks on Path 1 & Path 2 to "A/B" split and sent 100% of the signal to the B path.

I ended up using a Super Serial x2 setup (Path1 routed to Path2) where the first three "bars" of the paths are used for my electric and the last bar is used for my acoustic. There is a method (drag down the split and merge blocks in Path2) when using Super Serial that allows you to separate out the last path "bar" such that you can route the acoustic or a mic into, for example, the Aux or "Mic In" input, and send it to a different output than the one you are using for your electric. In other words you can route the first three bars (24 blocks) of a Super Serial output for electric and use the last bar (8 blocks) with a separate input and output for your acoustic guitar or a microphone.

This is what I am doing and it allows me to pick up and play either my electric or my acoustic without changing the preset. You probably won't use all 24 blocks for your electric patch but bridging from Path1 to Path2 will give you enough DSP to run more complex DSP combinations for the electric. I set up a Template for this routing scheme.

• I am thinking that ideally rather than each Path (Path 1 & Path 2) being allotted exactly half the DSP processing power on the Helix, that it would be much better if each path was dynamically allotted as much of the total combined power of the 2 DSPs as it required; limited obviously by the total power of the two DSP chips on the Helix. That way if you require more DSP for Path1 than Path2 you would not potentially be forced to use a Super Serial route. This would allow for much more flexible path setups.
  • It would be really helpful to have a screen showing how much DSP each block uses so I could do a more effective job of balancing and figure out where the DSP "hogs" are
  • I am wondering if there optimizations to the code that will allow the amps and effects to use less DSP without losing resolution or sound quality? If so, are these part of the future firmware revision plans?

I guess I don't understand what it benefits you to have one preset set up for both acoustic and electric if you're not ever going be playing them both simultaneously. If you're changing guitars, that's going to be the disruptive thing, not changing presets.

I like having both guitars set up in one preset as I have found that when I have a separate preset for the acoustic guitar, when I am switching guitars during a gig, every once in a while I forget to either switch to the patch for the acoustic or forget to switch back when I go back to the electric. Of course, having a separate preset(s) for the acoustic is a perfectly acceptable solution as well.

This is my rationale for liking both electric and acoustic to be within the same preset but I acknowledge that perhaps the majority of users will be just as happy using a separate preset.

I guess I don't understand what it benefits you to have one preset set up for both acoustic and electric if you're not ever going be playing them both simultaneously. If you're changing guitars, that's going to be the disruptive thing, not changing presets.

Your point is well taken, I have edited the post accordingly to address a wider range of scenarios. I think the points I made about DSP usage apply not only to my perhaps relatively personal preferences but also more generally to anyone who uses the two paths (Path1, Path2) for different inputs/outputs, for instance, an electric guitar and microphone simultaneously, or even two electric guitars without an external splitter.  Those would probably be more typical scenarios.

I also use the 3+1 path setup on a lot of my patches.  I put the amp on path 1 and keep the cab/IR on path 2A to keep the 2 biggest DSP hogs separated.  I can then use 2B for my Digitech Trio with a little reverb and/or compression.

I also use the 3+1 path setup on a lot of my patches.  I put the amp on path 1 and keep the cab/IR on path 2A to keep the 2 biggest DSP hogs separated.  I can then use 2B for my Digitech Trio with a little reverb and/or compression.

Thanks for offering an alternate use scenario and summing it up so perfectly, the "3+1" path setup! Wish I had thought of that when I was titling this topic  :wacko:

• Upvote 1