Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use a midi foot controller with my Helix

jaminjimlp

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about the FCB1010 specifically, but I don't see why this wouldn't work, as long as it has a midi output. I use Reaper to control Helix all the time, over USB. Take a look at page 48 in the manual for the specific midi info you'll need for this.

• 4 months later...

Yes. Assign FCB1010's first pedal to CC002 and it'll emulate Helix's EXP 2. Assign its second pedal to CC003 and it'll emulate Helix's EXP 3.

I assume this is so you don't have to sell the FCB and buy two expression pedals?

WOW it's about time DI. :lol: ... I've already bought 2 EXP's and to answer your question that was my intention but also to add a bunch more toggles ;)

WOW it's about time DI. :lol: ... I've already bought 2 EXP's and to answer your question that was my intention but also to add a bunch more toggles ;)

Ah, cool. You could use those toggles to adjust parameters (and mapping them's really fast with Learn Controller), but currently, individual block bypass can't be assigned to incoming MIDI CC. The only way to bypass blocks from external devices is to first assign them to Helix switches and the CCs emulate pressing those switches.

• 6 months later...

Ah, cool. You could use those toggles to adjust parameters (and mapping them's really fast with Learn Controller), but currently, individual block bypass can't be assigned to incoming MIDI CC. The only way to bypass blocks from external devices is to first assign them to Helix switches and the CCs emulate pressing those switches.

Has this changed?  Can you bypass blocks via MIDI?

• 6 months later...

I have been looking into a FCB1010 as well for the same function. I currently have the guitarist of the band on his own path with the Helix at his feet, while I am a little bit away running my trumpet mic through effects on the Helix on the second path as well. I'd like to be able to switch my different effects remotely without having to walk all the way over to do so.

I have read that there are mod chips for the FCB1010 to allow for something called "stompbox mode". Maybe this is a solution? Has anyone had any experience with this? Or maybe with the new MIDI features of the latest firmware update can we now bypass blocks through MIDI?

I have been looking into a FCB1010 as well for the same function. I currently have the guitarist of the band on his own path with the Helix at his feet, while I am a little bit away running my trumpet mic through effects on the Helix on the second path as well. I'd like to be able to switch my different effects remotely without having to walk all the way over to do so.

I have read that there are mod chips for the FCB1010 to allow for something called "stompbox mode". Maybe this is a solution? Has anyone had any experience with this? Or maybe with the new MIDI features of the latest firmware update can we now bypass blocks through MIDI?

Yes. Since my post above, we've added per-block bypass via MIDI:

1. Press MENU and then Knob 1 (Bypass Assign).
  2. Turn Knob 4 (MIDI In) to choose the desired CC. Values of 0-63 turn the block off and values of 64-127 turn the block on.

In lieu of step 2, you can also Learn incoming MIDI CCs. Just press Knob 6 (Learn) and send Helix the desired MIDI CC. Note that some CCs are reserved for global functions and cannot be selected or learned.

Agreed, awesome that L6 added the bypass MIDI functionality!!  :)

I used to use the FCB1010 fairly successfully with my Fractal Ultra but found that the main issue was visual feedback regarding the state of the device being controlled, for example properly reflecting the block's bypass states on the Fractal from the FCB1010. For simple switching and access to a couple of extra expression pedals it is just fine though.

Probably preaching to the choir here but nothing IMHO replaces getting the correct or matching foot controller for a given device that will require minimal programming and receive proper feedback from the modeler such that pedals show the correct corresponding block's state, e.g. lit, unlit, the preset name is displayed properly, etc... For example, if you own the Rack, get the Helix foot controller. You can always use the Behringer in addition.

I personally don't want to require two full pedalboards worth of real estate on stage although it may be perfect for some. I think the FCB1010 makes a great addition in a home studio to the Helix and perhaps some power users on a stage with plenty of room available. You do get two more expression pedals and several more stomp switches for a bargain price. I prefer a smaller footprint and more compact MIDI controller for stage if I require additional MIDI switches. Currently though I find the provided switching on the Helix to be sufficient to my needs.

Most people who own the Behringer FCB1010 are probably already aware of the free editor as well as the UNO firmware chip and licensed editor alternatives but in case you aren't here are a couple of links. Using an editor to program the FCB1010 is infinitely easier than navigating its native functions for setting up MIDI commands. The UNO firmware chips offer some nice options as well.

Free version: http://www.mtnsys.com/?path=faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm%3f

UNO version: http://www.fcb1010.uno/