Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

tip for 4CM

rudomat

what i found out when using helix in 4cm...first it´s really making lots of noise, especially on higher gain channels...then, especially on cleaner channels, i noticed some kind of unwanted boost in the highs... i guess this must be some buffer boost, that you can´t alter or turn off...

now i took the global eq and cut off everything under 80 Hz and everything over 6,5 kHz...that really helped a lot to make it sound more like my amp does without anything connected...plus the noise is also much better...

so i guess some amps will need a little different cuts (my amp is a trainwreck clone...), but i´m sure every amp will need some cut...  

The ins and outs can have their level set to instrument or line level...that might get the quiet you need.

no...my fx loop works on instrument level...i know my settings are correct here...so you guys don´t hear any difference between the global eq set off compared to a high shelve filter set to 7kHz...???

I tried it again today to compare it with my dry tone... cant really hear any difference, the helix is really transparent in my setup (with a friedman smallbox) But friedman is also known for his super great fx loops, so maybe its the loop of your amp thats causing the problem?

I know that some dumblesque amps need a special buffer unit for the loop to not suck too much tone..?

I tried it again today to compare it with my dry tone... cant really hear any difference, the helix is really transparent in my setup (with a friedman smallbox) But friedman is also known for his super great fx loops, so maybe its the loop of your amp thats causing the problem?

I know that some dumblesque amps need a special buffer unit for the loop to not suck too much tone..?

did you try it, going guitar directly to the front input, and then compare it with either a short cable connecting the send and return or on the other hand with helix totally bypassed in the amps´ fx loop (of course with the helix fx loop on)....?

with the helix in the fx loop you don´t hear the difference between no global eq and with a global eq high shelve filter set to 8kHz...?

thanks! 

yep, direct with a high end cable, and then thru helix, all bypassed, into the front end of the amp. We were three people in the room, we couldnt hear any real difference - which really surprised me, since I've never been satisfied with how digital effects unit usually messes with my dry tone... but with the helix, it seems to really be ok...