Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preamp pedal and Firehawk

Varialogue1

I saw a post over on the Helix forum where someone is raving about the 'tube coloration' the ART preamp gives to the helix. They hook it up to the effects loop of the helix and place it prior to the cabs. Does anyone think this could make the Firehawk tones fatter and warmer? Has anyone tried it?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had an hour or 2 with the art tube v3 linked up to the fx loop of the Firehawk. I was using it through headphones. I was filled with warm hope after a minute when the little valve began to glow inside the preamp. I played around with various clean and high gain sounds, placing the fx loop before and after the amp, tried out the different input and output levels and wasn't really impressed. However after a lot of playing time, when I turned off the preamp I kept feeling that my original Firehawk tone was missing something. The upshot is that There is a small but noticeable improvement to the warmth of the tone in my opinion and I genuinely think I now can't do without it! It must be placed after the amp and before other effects in the chain. It seems.

Ps I really hope I'm not imagining the difference so I would welcome any one else's views who is able to try it out.

• Upvote 1

I ended up playing Red House for an hour. The Woodstock version. I have a red house tone which is dropped down a half step using the bender effect. When I turned off the wee ART v3 after that time it definitely felt like the fire went out somehow.

As an aside, why would any of us want to 'break out of the pentatonic rut' when Hendrix makes music like this from almost one position.