Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD Pro giving off Hum and Feed back!

blackabyss63

Hello there.

I'm having a few issues with my Pod Hd Pro that I really need help with.

Issue 1. I get an occasionally but very noticeable him after I palm mute or play "Djent" type riffs. It's even more noticeable when I let the palmute ring out.

Issue 2. Every now and then, either the monitor I play through or my Headphones will give off aa feedback like screech. It's so bad to the point that I would have to shut off the Pod or take out my headphones right away before it can hurt my ears....

Things that I've tried to fix this:

1. I've changed the Instrument cables

2. I've played using a different amp and I sound fine so it leads me to believe it's the Pod.

3. And finally, all this happens when I'm playing in room volume... So I'm not even turning my master volume all the way up and I'm still getting these problems...

Are you running the latest firmware? I ask because your issue #2 is a known issue that was fixed in firmware some time ago.

Run Line 6 Monkey with your HD Pro connected to check/update. If you need to update make sure you back up your presets first and choose to replace all presets during the update process.

Under the Support tab at top of this page you will see a link called Downloads. After that you will be able to download a utility called Line 6 Monkey. Install that program on your computer. Connect your POD HD Pro to you computer via USB. Run Line 6 Monkey. It will tell you what software needs to be updated and it will guide you through the update process.

For step-by-step procedures check this out:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/pod/pod-hd/video-tutorialpod-hd-series-flash-memory-upda-r209

I don't know you or your experience with the pod. Nor am I there in the room with you to hear the noise. 

But I wonder if the Hum in issue 1 is simply the pod. They do make a good deal of noise. 

Using something like a noise gate will end the noise when not playing. But they do not close right away. Doing the Chugga Chugga type of stuff would open the gate but wouldn't allow it to close in between chugs, which would account for noise. 

Adjusting the various gate parameters can fix that. 

But, understand that if you are using SAME or GUITAR for input 2, changing it to something else will change you tone. 

Which is fine if you are building tones from scratch. But is horrible if you have already designed your patches and just want to get rid of some noise. 

Have you tried eliminating your effects in the signal chain one by one individually to see if one of the effects is causing that artifact?  That's what it sounds like to me.  It's not so much a hum as it is a chattering sound that dies off slowly when you stop playing if that's what you're referring to.

"humming" and "feedback" are bad words to describe that sound.  Both of those words refer to rather specific sounds, none of which yours is. 

Yours just sounds like a poorly built signal chain with some odd effects messing things up - perhaps a reverb or delay.   As /u/DunedinDragon said, I'd just  start turning off effects one by one. Also check your amp for effects, reverb, etc.   If you're using a pre-built effect that came with your device, then don't.  Build a new one from scratch to understand better how the effects relate to each other (The prebuilts tend to be pretty awful anyhow). 

In other words, it doesn't sound like anything *wrong*, it just sounds bad.