Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider III HD150 head low volume on some amp models

farrisgoldstein

This head sat in my closet for a couple years. Just dragged it out to try to use it, and all the amp models except metal and insane are now far too quiet to use. On the Clean model, I have to put the master volume around 3 o'clock to be usable, which of course means I can't then switch to a dirty model without risking a ripped cone and a courtesy call from the cops.

Any idea what could be causing this? I've tried several different speaker cabinets no difference. It even does it through the headphone jack, though it isn't quite as much of a volume drop through the headphone jack. If it's a bad part on the board, I could probably replace it, just not sure where to start with testing.

After some more testing, here's another weird observation: I might be crazy, but it's almost as if the AMP MODELS knob has somehow gotten shorted to a volume/gain pot lead. The clean-red is the quietest (nearly silent) setting and it gets progressively louder as you turn to the right, with the insane-green setting being the loudest.