Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi 75 - changing presets make it crash.

japais

I´ve tried to change the 4 presets on amplifi 75 with my own tones so I can use the amp without the app. Every time I power it off/on afterwards the four leds are flashing and I have to reset the amp. At first I thought it was caused by the new firmware update. I rolled it back to previous firmware and same thing happened.

Is there something I´ve missed or is it just impossible to change the presets?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK here is the fix.  There is a bug updating the default presets that corrupts the amplifi.  All you have to do is turn the AMPLIFi off, then hold your volume and tone buttons down, then turn it back on.  You will see a single flashing light and you can release the buttons.  Line 6 calls this a factory reset but it seems to preserve the firmware version (i.e. does not downgrade your firmware).

This ERASES YOUR TONE BANK but also cleans up the corruption.  It should be back to the original tone config with your latest firmware.  Note that some settings that are flash-backed are safe to change such as disabling the tap light flashing.  The problem seems to be limited to tone updates to the amplifi.

Ill call amplifi today to let them know about the bug.

-d

ok and one more thing for the road: Called line6 and they are aware of the problem... been tracking it for a while now.

Don't save tones to 1A (and I suspect 1B, 1C, and 1D).

As more firehawk/pod users try to use an amplifi as a passthrough, there is a desire to replace the default power-on bank tone as a clean effects-free zone (since that comes from your fx box). 

-d

ok and one more thing for the road: Called line6 and they are aware of the problem... been tracking it for a while now.

Don't save tones to 1A (and I suspect 1B, 1C, and 1D).

As more firehawk/pod users try to use an amplifi as a passthrough, there is a desire to replace the default power-on bank tone as a clean effects-free zone (since that comes from your fx box). 

-d

It must be specific to certain production runs of the amps.  I can safely overwrite any presets, including all of bank 1, without any problems.  In fact, saving my top 4 tones into bank 1 again was the first thing I did after updating to the latest firmware.   I've always had bank 1 set up with my favourite tones since I got the amp.

My Amplifi 75 is about 14 months old, though it's also been in for service (in October) and had the main board replaced.  Or at least I was told it was replaced.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dears: I am editing this post because after 2 weeks, Line6 support recommended me to bring back my unit to the shop and get a new one because I was probably having a hardware issue. 

I did it and I must say that the new unit works like a charm. I can do anything I should be able to do without any issue so far. 

I am keeping my original post below this lines for rhe sake of completeness but I was wrong on my guesses:

---------------------

Thank you "dugbug": I was about to return my Amplifi 30 amp because it randomly stopped working, got bluetooth disconnections ,etc... and thanks to your post I just realized that what happened is that it WAS CRASHING because I saved a tone in Bank 1A.

I did a factory reset and now works like a champ UNLESS I "dare" to save a tone to the unit. I am happy again, since the unit is very cool.. actually it made me play the guitar again regularly!

So:      JUST DO NOT EVER USE THE TONE SAVING "FEATURE" TO THE DEVICE: it will very likely corrupt your device memory.

Final note: this is still happening on firmware 2.60 which is UNBELIEVABLE... after 2-3 years and Line6 didn't manage to fix such a stupid bug.... Here is my sugestion to Line6: if you cannot pay a single developer to fix this bug properly, why don't you just open source the code. I am sure that the community will do AMAZING things with this cool amp as well as fixing the F...ING bug.

Enjoy!

Edited by irius
I was wrong about the causes of the crash
  • Upvote 1

On 8/4/2018 at 4:37 PM, irius said:

Thank you "dugbug": I was about to return my Amplifi 30 amp because it randomly stopped working, got bluetooth disconnections ,etc... and thanks to your post I just realized that what happened is that it WAS CRASHING because I saved a tone in Bank 1A.

I did a factory reset and now works like a champ UNLESS I "dare" to save a tone to the unit. I am happy again, since the unit is very cool.. actually it made me play the guitar again regularly!

So:      JUST DO NOT EVER USE THE TONE SAVING "FEATURE" TO THE DEVICE: it will very likely corrupt your device memory.

Final note: this is still happening on firmware 2.60 which is UNBELIEVABLE... after 2-3 years and Line6 didn't manage to fix such a stupid bug.... Here is my sugestion to Line6: if you cannot pay a single developer to fix this bug properly, why don't you just open source the code. I am sure that the community will do AMAZING things with this cool amp as well as fixing the F...ING bug.

Enjoy!

Where is Line6 Tony?

EDIT:  Just found out from a former Line 6 person and a couple of others that the staff at Line 6 has been drastically reduced. So my frustration is due to lack of personell to handle customer issues and repairs. Since I own and have owned tons of Line 6 gear, I will do my best to help others on this forum. Hopefully, Line 6 will suit up and be able to provide answers and timely customer service in the future.