Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tube amp recommendations (dt25 or blackstar soloist 60 or any other)

ejdj

Hi guy... need some advice.. I've had the hd500 for quite some time and think it's a great piece of equipment.. I used to go direct to the pa but I've decided to pick up a tube amp. I don't have the option of trying these amps before I buy them.

I need an amp which is versatyle but not difficult to dial in the tones which is Wat I like about the blackstar ht20 I tried at a store. Im interested in the 60 watt model which I presume have the same kinda tones and a bit more.

The hd500 is great but It takes alot of time to create a good sounding patch and the process is much difficult without an amp. I created my patches through a set of studio headphones and then tweaked them on the pa before the gig or rehearsal room.

But now since I got some money saved up I can invest in an amp..

I considered the dt25 for its versatility but I want to know wether with all the bells and whistles it has, is it still a good tube amp without the pod.. just a guitar and the amp cause eventually I want to move into analog pedas so I don't want to be left with a lifeless amp wen I decide to rest the hd500.

The DT25 is an excellent amp as a standalone unit.  It has lots of headroom, the cleans are crystal clear and the drive is gnarly.  It sounds great with pedals, with the HD500X and with Helix.

The only Blackstar I have experience with is the ID:30, which is a nice amp but not even in the same league as the DT.

I considered the dt25 for its versatility but I want to know wether with all the bells and whistles it has, is it still a good tube amp without the pod.. just a guitar and the amp cause eventually I want to move into analog pedas so I don't want to be left with a lifeless amp wen I decide to rest the hd500.

The bigger question is why would you want to revert to analog pedals?  Not to be a d!ck but that will be a huge step backwards.  The 500 and the DT25 integrate so well and really allow you to do anything pedals can do in so many more ways without the hassles of carrying a huge pedal board around.  By all means do what makes you happy but analog is no holy grail despite what you may read on some other boards...  just my 2 cents...

I agree with your point...I love the hd and Wat it can do. But one thing I wish was it to be a easier to dial in a good patch.. I have created good tones with it but it takes a long time to get it and alot of time is spent on the pod then actually practicing the guitar...

But I wud like to know wether the dt25 is good by itself. If it is den being able to integrate it with the pod is a plus for me and I'll go with the hd500/dt25 route

I have a DT25 head and a couple of cabinets, a 1X12 and a 2X12.  I had a HD500 and together they were awesome.  I sold the 500 to get my Helix but I am not selling the DT25.  By itself it is an amazingly versatile amp.  I can load 8 different amp models at a time out of the 20 plus available models.  I set one in channel A and another in Channel B so two at a time.  I can easily have a crystal clean in one channel and a smoking lead in the other.  I can control it by footswitch or with midi.  Each channel can also be set to either 10 watts Class A or 25 watts class AB with 4 choices for topology or negative feedback loop.  Really changes the feel and response of the amp.  Another huge point is the DT has all the reverbs from the HD500 built in.  You can configure the reverb when you load the amp models, everything from 63 spring to particle verb or octo verb.  You won't get that in any other tube amp out there.  It also has a nice FX loop and takes pedals well.

I haven't played the Blackstar but from what I see it is a 60 watt amp which means it will be very loud.  It doesn't have a 10 watt option.  The DT also has a Low Volume Mode switch that adds full amp model effects for better tone at bedroom or practice volumes.  Don't get me wrong, the DT gets VERY loud too for a 25 watt amp, especially through my 2X12 cab.  I may be biased but my recommendation would be the DT25 unless there is something you haven't told us that would require a bigger amp.  Of course in that case you can look for a DT 50!

• Upvote 3

what abt helix-dt integration?

well the OP didn't ask about that but frankly its not there at this time.  I know they are hoping to get a better fit between the two but for now there are workarounds.  I've been more focused on my Helix through FRFR but I'll work the DT in at some point.  Looking forward to a real solution from Line 6 in the future and sure it will be killer...

• Upvote 1

... Another huge point is the DT has all the reverbs from the HD500 built in.  You can configure the reverb when you load the amp models, everything from 63 spring to particle verb or octo verb...

how do those dt/hd500 reverbs compare vs helix reverbs?

I agree with your point...I love the hd and Wat it can do. But one thing I wish was it to be a easier to dial in a good patch.. I have created good tones with it but it takes a long time to get it and alot of time is spent on the pod then actually practicing the guitar...

But I wud like to know wether the dt25 is good by itself. If it is den being able to integrate it with the pod is a plus for me and I'll go with the hd500/dt25 route

The learning curve is steep with the PODs...but once you get the hang of it, it won't take a year and a day to dial in a decent sounding patch, even starting from scratch. After a while you'll likely settle into a few combinations of FX, cabs, and mics that you like. Aside from the occasional medicinal tweak, you'll spend more time playing...but at the beginning it is a grind.

Also, the HD500 & DT25/50 works both ways.  You can select an amp and use the DT25/50 control knobs to dial in your sound and just press SAVE on the HD500 to store it for instant recall.  You don't even have to use the HD500 controls for the amps (although you need it for the other effects)

• Upvote 1

Grab yourself a Mesa Boogie Mark V and a Klon Centaur and a Strymon Timeline and then a nice chorus and phaser etc etc haha.

Or get the Helix and that Victory Countess 30 that Paul Hindmarsh and the boys demo'd on Utube. Sounded wicked.

I had an original Blackstar HT-5 and it was alright, nothing to write home about though.

If money is no object you could also check out Matchless :P