Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which version of the Helix app (v.1.01 or v.1.02) can I use to do the backup for the new firmware 1.04.1 upgrade?

HonestOpinion

Helix Firmware v1.04.1 Release Notes

IMPORTANT! Before restoring your backed up presets to Helix, you must first install the latest version of the Helix application!

I loaded my custom presets from a Helix app v.1.02 backup, not a v.1.01 backup after yesterday's firmware upgrade to 1.04.1. Although the Release Notes for the new firmware specify the new version of the Helix app for the restore, they do not specify which version of the Helix app to do the backup with so I am not sure if this was ok.

Could someone at Line6 please chime in and let me know if it was ok to restore my custom presets from a Helix app v.1.02 backup after the 1.04.2 firmware update . I would prefer not to spend days, weeks, tweaking my presets only to find out that something subtle went wrong with my restored custom presets because I was supposed to have reloaded them from a v.1.01 backup. Before I bother doing any more customizing of presets I need to know if I am going to have to reload them from the backup made by an earlier version of the Helix app. I really need this question answered to proceed happily down the upgrade road with my Helix. 

I have asked this question several times in several ways elsewhere, but alas, no response. I could open a trouble ticket but I think this detail would benefit everyone who is doing the update.  So, what does a brother need to do to get a little help here? I know you guys are busy and I never expect a response directly from Line6 but you just issued a firmware update and inquiring minds want to know. Is a backup from either version of the Helix app ok as long as we use v.1.02 to do the restore, or, do we need a backup from a specific version of the Helix app? This detail could potentially impact many users. Please add some clarity here. Thanks!

I dont think it matters what version backed it up as long as you do the restore portion using the latest Helix application. I am assuming that by doing this it will format your previous presets to accommodate the newly added effects and changes/fixes from this firmware update.

I'm no expert but I've reinstalled my presets from the previous version on all of these updates.  For example, I just reinstalled my backups, made on FW 1.03, in the latest update.

I don't believe that it matters as one of their goals when making FW updates is to not affect user's presets.

I updated the application first, then did a setlist backup, then firmware update, then 9 & 10 reset, then restored the backed-up setlist. Same thing you did. I don't notice anything that strikes me as out of place with my presets. Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all about this.

I dont think it matters what version backed it up as long as you do the restore portion using the latest Helix application. I am assuming that by doing this it will format your previous presets to accommodate the newly added effects and changes/fixes from this firmware update.

I'm no expert but I've reinstalled my presets from the previous version on all of these updates.  For example, I just reinstalled my backups, made on FW 1.03, in the latest update.

I don't believe that it matters as one of their goals when making FW updates is to not affect user's presets.

I updated the application first, then did a setlist backup, then firmware update, then 9 & 10 reset, then restored the backed-up setlist. Same thing you did. I don't notice anything that strikes me as out of place with my presets. Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all about this.

Thanks for the replies folks! Much appreciated!  I would tend to agree that it probably is not an issue and you are helping to put my mind at rest.  I would still like to see Line6 not only weigh in and confirm that it does not make a difference, but also clarify the text in the Release Notes so no one else has to wonder if they are following the instructions properly. I had not even considered this very subtle point regarding the lack of direction in the Release Notes on the backup (not restore) process until Silverhead brought it up and I think it is worth clarifying. There is nothing quite as fun as going to do the next firmware update (1.04.2?) and finding out that your custom presets won't load due to a glitch in the procedure from the last update. Or maybe there is just something that did not get translated properly that is occurring in every preset. My concern is that the v.1.02 version might run some conversion routine that modifies the presets to match the new firmware and Helix app from a backup that it is expecting to be made with the v.1.01 version.

I would still like to see Line6 not only weigh in and confirm that it does not make a difference, but also clarify the text in the Release Notes so no one else has to wonder if they are following the instructions properly.

FWIU, the Helix app version used when backing up isn't important, only the version used when restoring.

FWIU, the Helix app version used when backing up isn't important, only the version used when restoring.

after upgrading to 1.04.1, i can´t import my bundle that i exported right before upgrading...also, what´s strange is, i can´t close the helix app...i downloaded the app once again, but it doesn´t make any difference...when i try to import the bundle, after a while it says "request for device operation failend; returned NACK"

i think a bad mistake of mine was, that i first installed app version 1.2 for windows7 instead of windows10...after i realized this mistake, i installed the right version for windows10, but it still doesn´t work....

any hint, what i could do...? should i go back to version 1.1 of the app and try it...? ...try it with firmware 1.04.1? (with 1.1 it worked fine with firmware 1.3...)

thanks

The only oddity I ran into with the update was reloading my presets - I updated the FW 1.04.1 after I had saved my set lists & bundle with Helix App 1.01, and again after I updated to the 1.02 version. After the FW update and global reset, used Helix App 1.02 to reload the set lists, and in my main one I have different patches for my JTV 69S & 59 set up with levels adjusted for both, but I place them at different points on the set list, i.e. the 69S patches take up bank 01, 02, and 03, so I have the 59 patches at banks 11, 12, & 13. There are basically blank "New Presets" in the banks in between the two groups for future patches as I make them.

The weirdness was that the actual patches went into the right places for the Bank 01 - 03 for the 69 and at Banks 11 - 13 for the 59, but the names for the 59 patches shifted down to the "New Presets" in between, and the 11 - 13 banks (with the actual proper settings) were all named "New Preset".... I used the Helix App to copy and paste the proper names to the proper patches on banks 11 -13, so all is well, but it is a bit of a pain. Apparently, the Helix App or the Helix itself didn't like blank patches in between the named ones...

Dave

after upgrading to 1.04.1, i can´t import my bundle that i exported right before upgrading...also, what´s strange is, i can´t close the helix app...i downloaded the app once again, but it doesn´t make any difference...when i try to import the bundle, after a while it says "request for device operation failend; returned NACK"

i think a bad mistake of mine was, that i first installed app version 1.2 for windows7 instead of windows10...after i realized this mistake, i installed the right version for windows10, but it still doesn´t work....

any hint, what i could do...? should i go back to version 1.1 of the app and try it...? ...try it with firmware 1.04.1? (with 1.1 it worked fine with firmware 1.3...)

thanks

Last time I got the "knack" error it seemed to be persistent until I reinstalled the firmware and reinstalled the Helix app. I also tried using a different USB port. Not sure which one of those fixed it. Make a copy of your presets backup, you do not want to overwrite this file(s) by accident or risk it being corrupted. You might try the following, take backups of your presets with different names at every step if you manage to get your presets reinstalled just as a precaution:

• Reinstall the latest firmware update 1.04.1 and the latest Helix app v.1.02
  • Try reinstalling your presets
  • If that does not work I would rollback and reinstall the 1.03.1 firmware and the Helix app v.1.01
  • If that works, try making a fresh backup of your presets with the v.1.01, make sure to use a different name as you don't want to lose the backup you have.
  • Now go back through the upgrade process.
  • Reinstall Helix app v.1.02
  • Upgrade the firmware to v.1.04.1.
  • Run the 9&10 reset procedure
  • Reinstall your presets with the Helix app v.1.02

Btw, I copy the presets I like to a User list and modify them there leaving the original presets in the "Factory" lists intact.  That way I can refer back to the original preset. Also, at least as of this last firmware update, I do not believe the User lists got overwritten until I ran the 9&10 reset procedure (don't hold me to this but that is what I seem to remember).  That gives you more opportunities to run backups. Also by using the User (1-5) lists for my custom presets I not only do "Export Bundle" to capture everything, but I also run "Export Setlist" so that I have individual backups of each User list and the custom presets it contains. A little extra redundancy in case I get a bad export somewhere. If you want to get really thorough you can backup your presets individually as well with the "Export" function.

This is me leaping madly around the room celebrating! DI to the rescue as usual. Very glad to hear it, much ado about nothing. We are sculpting the bust in your likeness for prominent placement on the fireplace mantle as we speak. Thanks very much for the response!!!  :D  :P  :)

Last time I got the "knack" error it seemed to be persistent until I reinstalled the firmware and reinstalled the Helix app. I also tried using a different USB port. Not sure which one of those fixed it. Make a copy of your presets backup, you do not want to overwrite this file(s) by accident or risk it being corrupted. You might try the following, take backups of your presets with different names at every step if you manage to get your presets reinstalled just as a precaution:

• Reinstall the latest firmware update 1.04.1 and the latest Helix app v.1.02
  • If that does not work I would rollback and reinstall the 1.03.1 firmware and the Helix app v.1.01
  • If that works, try making a fresh backup of your presets with the v.1.01, make sure to use a different name as you don't want to lose the backup you have.
  • Now go back through the upgrade process.
  • Reinstall Helix app v.1.02
  • Upgrade the firmware to v.1.04.1.
  • Run the 9&10 reset procedure
  • Reinstall your presets with the Helix app v.1.02

Btw, I copy the presets I like to a User list and modify them there leaving the original presets in the "Factory" lists intact.  That way I can refer back to the original preset. Also, at least as of this last firmware update, I do not believe the User lists got overwritten until I ran the 9&10 reset procedure (don't hold me to this but that is what I seem to remember).  That gives you more opportunities to run backups. Also by using the User (1-5) lists for my custom presets I not only do "Export Bundle" to capture everything, but I also run "Export Setlist" so that I have individual backups of each User list and the custom presets it contains. A little extra redundancy in case I get a bad export somewhere. If you want to get really thorough you can backup your presets individually as well with the "Export" function.

thanks,

tried it all... my preset-bundle is not getting importet back again...;-(