Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

please give us an acoustic amp model (aer compact60...?)!

rudomat

No, it only has low-pass and high-pass filters. What we need is a preamp that has tone controls specifically designed or voiced for acoustic guitar. There are other EQ blocks that can come close, but they are general purpose, not designed for acoustic guitar. To some extent this is just convenience. But its nice to have fit for purpose tone controls and a gain/drive control in the same block.

Support for acoustic guitar should include an acoustic preamp and some guitar body impulse responses. I have created something close by capturing some IRs from my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and using a couple of parametric EQ blocks. This clearly indicates the usefulness of Helix for acoustic guitar. I hope Line 6 follows up on this in future updates.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I understand. Thanks!

Just one thing. Why do you need guitar body IRs?

Doesn't you accoustig guitar sound as an accoustic guitar allready?

I would think you need accoustic amp cab IRs.

Please explain, I'm genually interested for future setup.

Support for acoustic guitar should include an acoustic preamp and some guitar body impulse responses. I have created something close by capturing some IRs from my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI 

No, it only has low-pass and high-pass filters. What we need is a preamp that has tone controls specifically designed or voiced for acoustic guitar. There are other EQ blocks that can come close, but they are general purpose, not designed for acoustic guitar. To some extent this is just convenience. But its nice to have fit for purpose tone controls and a gain/drive control in the same block.

Support for acoustic guitar should include an acoustic preamp and some guitar body impulse responses. I have created something close by capturing some IRs from my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and using a couple of parametric EQ blocks. This clearly indicates the usefulness of Helix for acoustic guitar. I hope Line 6 follows up on this in future updates.

I feel the same way, the "Studio Tube Pre" does not provide enough flexibility for shaping your acoustic tone. I have been using that preset at practice and without even basic EQ it is just not able to get a great acoustic tone, at least not for me.  Using the graphic or parametric EQ, compressor, etc. helps a bit but still does not quite get it. I still have not been able to produce an acoustic tone I can live with although there are probably more wizardly tweakers who could. I am confident in time with enough twiddling I could get there but a little help sure would be nice. The Helix really needs at least a couple of acoustic preamp/amp/cab models and IRs as well as a couple of acoustic presets.  I posted a request for them a while back in Ideascale, you can vote for it here:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/More-amp-cabs-effects-and-presets-for-acoustic-guitar/791672-23508

You need a body IR if your acoustic guitar uses a piezo pickup. The piezo doesn't pickup much of the body of the guitar, and adding internal microphones tends to add way too much bass and feedback. With a piezo pickup into a body IR, you can use a sound hole cover and reduce feedback even more.

You need a body IR if your acoustic guitar uses a piezo pickup. The piezo doesn't pickup much of the body of the guitar, and adding internal microphones tends to add way too much bass and feedback. With a piezo pickup into a body IR, you can use a sound hole cover and reduce feedback even more.

do you maybe have some body ir´s to share...?

Right! thanks for the clear explanation.

I tried some acoustic stuff today for the first time using my JTV69. I ended up using the Jazz Rivet full amp.  I tried using various cabs and IR's but in the end I stuck with just the amp, it sounds better without anything else.  I put a high low cut to tame the low end and a simple delay, 200ms, 21% mix, no reverb.  The amp is so clean its perfect and the tone stack works well.  Lowered the presence for the top end.  I tried some compression but it wasn't needed.  It actually sounds great!

I tried some acoustic stuff today for the first time using my JTV69. I ended up using the Jazz Rivet full amp.  I tried using various cabs and IR's but in the end I stuck with just the amp, it sounds better without anything else.  I put a high low cut to tame the low end and a simple delay, 200ms, 21% mix, no reverb.  The amp is so clean its perfect and the tone stack works well.  Lowered the presence for the top end.  I tried some compression but it wasn't needed.  It actually sounds great!

I will give the Jazz Rivet a try, thanks. I am using an acoustic guitar with piezo pickups rather than the modeled acoustic of the JTV69. I need to be able to retain that real analog wood acoustic tone that so often ends up sounding digital when put through processors.  Would love to get something that sounds close to a mic'ed Taylor or Martin. 

I will give the Jazz Rivet a try, thanks. I am using an acoustic guitar with piezo pickups rather than the modeled acoustic of the JTV69. I need to be able to retain that real analog wood acoustic tone that so often ends up sounding digital when put through processors. Would love to get something that sounds close to a mic'ed Taylor or Martin.

Give that Taylor IR I linked to above a try with your piezo pickups. You might be be very pleasantly surprised. It should add more body tone to the pickup.

The Roland JC120 uses all-boost tone controls very similar to the design in typical Fender amplifiers. I don't find these tone controls that useful on acoustic instruments since there's no way to cut anything. It is possible to simulate a cut by boosting everything else, but that's a good way to create feedback problems in acoustic instruments. Acoustic instruments might benefit more from Hi-Fi tone controls that boost/cut and do so somewhat more gradually. Cutting things you don't want will often provide better results than boosting things you do want. This partly because of gain staging issues and phase distortion.

The PODX3Live had some preamp models that would be quite useful in Helix for acoustic instruments. I hope to see some of these added in future updates.