Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boss FB-2 Feedbacker with a JTV or Standard?

Has anyone tried the Boss FB-2 Feedbacker pedal? Would it work with a Variax, in particular if using alt tunings?

Don't see why not. The pedal has no way of knowing if the signal you're feeding it has been manipulated with alt tunings or not. As far as it's concerned, a guitar signal is a guitar signal.

But it needs to be used with an amp for it to drive the guitar into "feedback", as far as I understand. I don't know whether it would work with piezos, especially if the feedback tone was then repitched to a different note. I've used a Sustainer-equipped guitar with a Roland VG-8, which is fine because the mag pickups drive the sustainer even if there's no amp volume. My dream is a Sustainer equipped Variax, of course...  

But it needs to be used with an amp for it to drive the guitar into "feedback", as far as I understand. I don't know whether it would work with piezos, especially if the feedback tone was then repitched to a different note. I've used a Sustainer-equipped guitar with a Roland VG-8, which is fine because the mag pickups drive the sustainer even if there's no amp volume. My dream is a Sustainer equipped Variax, of course...

Well that I don't know, you might be right...but you had asked specifically about the alt tunings. I still doubt that matters. But it is possible that the piezos might be a problem, in which case it might not work with the modeling at all, alt tunings or not.

I believe a feedbacker pedal is just a fake feedback tone being produced by the pedal, and not actual feedback. It's to simulate the sound of feedback.

You do NOT need an amp. There's no physical way a pedal can create real feedback. 

I believe it reads the pitch of the note you're playing and then gradually fades in an overtone to that pitch that sounds like feedback.

That is certainly the case with other feedbacker pedals (eg. Line 6's Dr Distorto - there's actually a youtube vid of someone demoing it using a Variax.) But it seems that the FB-2 does something a bit different, hence the manual saying that it only works using an amp, not headphones. Would be great to find someone that had actually tried one with a Variax.

That is certainly the case with other feedbacker pedals (eg. Line 6's Dr Distorto - there's actually a youtube vid of someone demoing it using a Variax.) But it seems that the FB-2 does something a bit different, hence the manual saying that it only works using an amp, not headphones. Would be great to find someone that had actually tried one with a Variax.

I assumed it was a rebranding of their old feedback pedal. Strange. I wouldn't know how they'd make actual feedback happen besides boosting the signal really high for a moment. There's no way to feedback your guitar through the guitar cable or anything.

• Upvote 1

I have one of the old orange Boss Dist/Feedback pedals and all it does is produce an overtone. It doesn't "drive" the guitar and amp into feedback. If the new version is similar there shouldn't be any issues as long as it receives a signal. 

It believe it uses the accoustic sound of the Amp (i.e., has a builtin Mic) to control its feedback loop (listening through headphones alone won't allow the feedback control of the pedal).

As long as you feed some portion/version of the pedals output signal to the Mic it should not really matter whether your Variax is messing with the string to alt tuning conversion and you put the result into the pedal.

Can't say more or be sure as I don't have the pedal and just read about it.

I think Martin is right to an extent. I took a listen to some vids and read a bit. I sounds like they changed from the old way of using a matching tone for the FB.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov12/articles/boss-fb2.htm

It almost sounds like the FB part is a sustainer cranked with a real slow decay.

-B