Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Screen protector

bjoecool

I don't have my Helix yet, so need advise from those of you who have gigged with one. What are you using to protect the Helix screen and scribble strips? I know that we could cut down a tablet screen protector and stick on there, but wondering if anti-glare would be better for outdoor gigs without making the screen too dark for bars/clubs? Also wondering if there are more durable options that anyone has used to prevent the screen from being cracked if there is impact (drunk lady with heels tries to step over the Helix in order to get to the mic because she thinks she can sing (yes, that has happened before). Plexiglass, something else? I want  to protect the screen without ruining the visibility in various lighting environments.

Thanks for your help!

Hello

look at this post

I give an idea , look at the last pic I post 

I don't know the mesure of the Helix screen, but about the Hd 500& 500X a plexi from a welding helmet is a good solution

Ask to a welder or a welding shop:

cya

http://line6.com/support/topic/16211-pod-hd-500500xhelix-co-tips-to-protect-your-screen/

I just paste it with a little piece of scoth and it wotk perfect

Thanks, PunkyBoy. That is good use of plexiglass, especially making it a little taller and wider than the Helix screen.

The Helix screen is very different from the HD500 screen, so I am wondering how plexiglass and other solutions impact your visibility of the Helix screen and scribble strips in low light, indoor light, and sunlight. Anyone with other experience / recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

My Custom Screen Protectors for the Helix will be ready next week. Here's a sneak peek!

Here are a few screen grabs from my demo video. Had to get enough in stock before I released the video. They came out very nice.

screenprotector1.jpg

screenprotector2.jpgscreenprotector3.jpg

Hey Glenn -- can you drop a note in the forum when your screen protectors are available for purchase?  Want to make sure I get one.  And FYI -- great Helix patches.  Downloaded last week and finding them very useful.  As always, thanks for all you do for the guitar modeling community.

Hey Glenn -- can you drop a note in the forum when your screen protectors are available for purchase? Want to make sure I get one. And FYI -- great Helix patches. Downloaded last week and finding them very useful. As always, thanks for all you do for the guitar modeling community.

Nice. I was using a Kindle Fire protector I cut up. I didn't do a very good job with the scissors.

I should add that if you have a way to make nice, straight, measured cuts, the Kindle Fire protector seemed to work. I don't and I am lazy so ordering Glenn's was a no brainier for me. If the Helix screen is plastic I would also have a little concern about the long term affect of the mild adhesive used on most tablet protectors.

Just ordered mine - let's see how long it takes to get to the UK

Thank you so much. Yes I sent that out to you today. I say two weeks but usually only about 7 working days!! to get to UK.

I should add that if you have a way to make nice, straight, measured cuts, the Kindle Fire protector seemed to work. I don't and I am lazy so ordering Glenn's was a no brainier for me. If the Helix screen is plastic I would also have a little concern about the long term affect of the mild adhesive used on most tablet protectors.

Good point Big R, yes my screen protector is made of Lexan. It's Not Plastic!! (Google It) The only adhesive is around the 1/8in. edge of the screen protector and that sticks to the metal part. It's cut perfectly to fit around the screen itself and not touching the screen but adhering to the case not the screen.

You can see all this in my demo video. May I take this opportunity to say . . First . . Thanks to all of the Line 6 community for all of their continued support throught the past years.. I've been a member here on this forum for many, many years. Those of you who know me and have been here for a long time can attest to that. I have actually built very nice relationships with several of you guys and I enjoy talking to you on a regular basis. The screen protector thing for the Helix was just an idea I had because when I got my Helix, I noticed the screen was dented. It didn't bother me too much and like I say in my video, you really couldn't see it when the Helix was powered up.  I needed some form or protection so I came up with this screen protector. I make them each by hand myself. I apply the the front flat black 3M tape for the outer edge and then I apply the backing 3M Two way adhesive to the edge of the piece, all the while trying not to remove the front and the back protective film. It's a pretty tedious process but I love working with my hands.

Sure, you guys can find different screen protectors for your Helix, and I encourage you to.  YES, try to find alternative screen protectors. There are many, many out there. I just made mine like I thought it should be made and I am willing to make more for any of you who want to have the same protection I have. . . .Anyway . . .  Thank you again for all of your support and I must say . .  Line 6 Helix!! What an incredible tool for the modern working guitarist!! You guys hit it out of the park with this one!!

• Upvote 2

Finally installed my Glenn DeLaune screen protector and I highly recommend it!  Fits nicely and is very clear.  Easy to install too.  For anyone about to get one, the protector is slightly larger than the Helix screen.  This is nice because it gives you a bit of wiggle room when installing.  You don't have to line up each edge perfectly with the screen.

Great job Glenn!

Lexan is a good idea.... I decided to go with 4 pieces of 1/8" Lexan to protect all of the displays... When the Helix is on, the displays are not affected by the clear Lexan.

Here are the dimensions that I used..

1 piece 6" x 3-1/2" for the main display

2 pieces 1-1/8" x 17-12" for the Scribble Strip Displays

1 piece 2-1/2" x 1-1/8" for the Expression Pedal display

Luckily I have a "Plastic Depot" that cut it to size for me for about $11.00

I used strips of 3M extreme mounting tape, which is Black, to attach the protector to the Helix

Here's some pix

lexan1.jpglexan2.jpglexan3.jpg

seeya

Joe

Received and installed, Glenn. Looks great -- and as you said --- looks like its part of the unit from the factory.

Finally installed my Glenn DeLaune screen protector and I highly recommend it!  Fits nicely and is very clear.  Easy to install too.  For anyone about to get one, the protector is slightly larger than the Helix screen.  This is nice because it gives you a bit of wiggle room when installing.  You don't have to line up each edge perfectly with the screen.

Great job Glenn!

My $.02- I installed Glenn's screen protector. It works great! You could probably come up with a less expensive alternative, but he's done all the legwork and construction. Anything that saves me a trip to Home Depot works for me...

Thank you so much guys.

GlennRig2015.jpg

• 3 months later...

These are made for the floor units only, right? I know in a rack you wouldn't need the same protection, but still...

Thank you so much for the support and kind words guys. Yeah I think the entire face of the rack unit is the screen. Not like the floor unit where the screen is actually an indentation. Not 100% sure about the rack but pictures I've seen look like it's entire face is glass.

• 1 year later...

I found a tempered glass screen protector for a Chevy SUV's stereo that works great. I'll have to dig into my orders on Amazon to remember what brand it is. It's not an absolutely perfect fit but darn near it.

Not to dismiss Glenn's protector. It looks great and has no bad reviews. An IPad screen protector, trimme to shape, works for me. Since you essentially cut it to fit, it works for the scribble strips as well. I actually use one as a pickguard for my JTV89F.

• 1 year later...