Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax JTV 69 Oportunity

I run a HD500x and a L3t

I record with it and it is my main amp...

I have Four Electrics

I play my ESP and my new Epiphone Silverburst Custom Les Paul mainly...

However I have a cool Epiphone ES339 Ultra with Acoustic pickups and a USB port and a G&L Asat Bluesboy Semi hollow which is cool but collecting dust...

The local guitar center has a Sunburst JTV69 with the humbucker and a Cherry burst 89....

After dealing with them and for a while they for some reason lowered the price on them and they are willing to go STRAIGHT ACROSS for the ES339 and the G&L for either one of the Variax...

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised GC is offering such generous trade terms.  It's a fair deal so long as you play the JTV's and make sure they are AOK first.  There is a topic on this site called, "Do You Have the Same problem with 6th String?"  I wish I could figure out how to provide you with a link to that, but you can find it in a search.  Some JTV's have this problem with the heavy E string (and sometimes E & A) where a PLINK sound is very audible when palm muting using moderate to heavy overdrive along with the modeled guitars.  Do yourself a BIG favor and read at least the last few pages in that topic.  You want to be 100% sure that problem doesn't exist on the JTV your considering.  Many of us found a way to reduce or eliminate the PLINK sound, but some can't fix the problem even after warranty repairs.  JTV's are really nice if you get a good one.  Happy Hunting.

The main difference between them, besides the obvious asthetics; the 69 is a more "normal" neck where the 89 has a relatively sliim and wider neck. Play them before you do the trade.

Also, without going into detail, if you decide on the 89, make sure it works with your HD500. The two things you're looking for.

Have the JTV 89 hooked up to your HD500 and the 500 connected to your computer with the power off.

Power on.

If the HD500 doesn't reboot after 10-15 seconds

Run Line 6 monkey and see if it can tell what version firmware you have on your 500.

If the HD500 reboots after 10-15 seconds or the Line 6 monkey can't tell what version firmware is on the HD500 (it will say Unknown), save yourself a big headache and don't get it. If it doesn't do these things, definitely get it if you like the neck.

The main difference between them, besides the obvious asthetics; the 69 is a more "normal" neck where the 89 has a relatively sliim and wider neck. Play them before you do the trade.

It's all relative of course, but as far as I'm concerned the 69's neck ain't "normal". It's the narrowest nut I've ever seen on a production guitar. String spacing is unmanageable for open position chords unless you've got tiny hands. I lasted about 6 weeks with it before I ordered a replacement.

Been playing it for about a month now with no problem, having a lot of fun setting up banks and new tones to work with the customized Variax guitar models I've created...

I live the fact that it automatically switched to my chosen guitar model for each patch I've created....

However, after creating some new awesome amp tones with it, I switched back to my ESP LTD ST1 Elite and those patches are screaming beautiful....

Making me want to swap out the pickups on the Variax to the Seymour Duncan's I have on my LTD

It's all relative of course, but as far as I'm concerned the 69's neck ain't "normal". It's the narrowest nut I've ever seen on a production guitar. String spacing is unmanageable for open position chords unless you've got tiny hands. I lasted about 6 weeks with it before I ordered a replacement.

That's why I put normal in quotes. The neck is, quote unquote, normal. Indicating, I thought, that there is no normal really, but that it was closer to your average neck than the JTV89F's. My first guitar's neck was even more narrow than the JTV69's if you can believe it. A mid '70s SG I still have. It was my first electric and I was a teenager so I didn't know any better. It wasn't until years later that I realized I had been learning on, what is still in my experience, the thinnest full size guitar neck I've ever seen. In fact I have yet to find an SG with a neck as skinny as that one. It's like ;they only made them one year and I  bought the only one. Just my luck.

I have a 60's Hagstrom III that was my first electric that has a much narrower neck than the 69.  It turns out that I have very small hands and skinny fingers so a narrow neck works for me.  The 69 neck does work fine for me even though it is narrower than my other guitars (Except the Hangstrom).

Been playing it for about a month now with no problem, having a lot of fun setting up banks and new tones to work with the customized Variax guitar models I've created...

I live the fact that it automatically switched to my chosen guitar model for each patch I've created....

However, after creating some new awesome amp tones with it, I switched back to my ESP LTD ST1 Elite and those patches are screaming beautiful....

Making me want to swap out the pickups on the Variax to the Seymour Duncan's I have on my LTD

Before you change the pickups have you set the variax up in workbench?

I also proffered the mag pick ups (in all my guitars ) over the modelling but once I balanced the string volumes out (had to reduce the heavier strings down to about 60% as it was bass heavy) and turned the models up to match the magnetic pickups volume I was much happier with the sound and now the models have a more wooden timbre than the mags

I hardly ever use the mags now

I have a 60's Hagstrom III that was my first electric that has a much narrower neck than the 69.

That was my first electric as well.  Fond memories of a trip to 48th Street in NYC with my father to pick it up.  Mine is long gone, but if memory serves the neck was challenging for my fingers (even at 15 years old I had big mitts).

Before you change the pickups have you set the variax up in workbench?

I also proffered the mag pick ups (in all my guitars ) over the modelling but once I balanced the string volumes out (had to reduce the heavier strings down to about 60% as it was bass heavy) and turned the models up to match the magnetic pickups volume I was much happier with the sound and now the models have a more wooden timbre than the mags

I hardly ever use the mags now

No I haven't tried that, I did that on a 12string model though and it worked great.... Thanks for the idea