Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My FRFR monitor "farting out" with bass through pod hd500x

Onomatopoeia

Hi guys!

Just got my new Alto TS115a active monitor that i planned to use with my bass guitar through my Pod HD500x. The problem is that it is "farting out" while playing the low E-string (tuned to drop D) allthough, all the other strings sound just fine. The patch is created with an AKG k240 headset and sound great through them.

Is the Alto TS115a faulty or are my patches in need of serious tweeking?

I was thinking that the Alto maybe just couldn't handel the  low bass freq, allthough it's rated for 48 Hz -18 kHz (@ - 10 dB) and I've red on several forums that both low-tuned guitar and bass players use them as a FRFR speaker. I tried to do some bass cut in the cab-settings but the "distortion" doesn't really go away. I also tried to lower the amp-sim's bass knob, but the problem only goes away when it's down quite low, and then there's not enough bass....

Any help would really be appreciated!

/Danne

I have the 1.12 and use for bass. I roll off the bass and presence a decent amount with an EQ at end of chain. It's not really a compromise at all as the patches are generally setup for low volume 'bed-room' sound. For louder use it is good to cut down the bass and a presence quite a bit. There as an achilies heal thread on here that you can read that discusses this well. I was considering getting the 15. I read a review online somewhere that said the stated 200 watts (400 is peak only) is a bit overstated and it's actually like a 75w amp in use. Regardless of the numbers I get a loud full bass tone with my 12 which I believe shares the same amp as yours.

your Alto can't handle that low bass frequencies beyond a certain output level limit, so IMO you have basically 2 options:

turn down to some point that frequency range, and/or use a compressor (which always works also as a peaks limiter)

But it's distorting at bedroom volumes? What would be the best way to turn down those freq? I'm using a mild compression allready and have like no fx blocks left...

I have the 1.12 and use for bass. I roll off the bass and presence a decent amount with an EQ at end of chain. It's not really a compromise at all as the patches are generally setup for low volume 'bed-room' sound. For louder use it is good to cut down the bass and a presence quite a bit. There as an achilies heal thread on here that you can read that discusses this well. I was considering getting the 15. I read a review online somewhere that said the stated 200 watts (400 is peak only) is a bit overstated and it's actually like a 75w amp in use. Regardless of the numbers I get a loud full bass tone with my 12 which I believe shares the same amp as yours.

Hm, that's interesting about that the Watts are overstated since i read a lot of posts on the AxeFx forums where people would use these things for practice and gigging with good results. You saying this can't be done?  I think the 12 an 15 shares the same amp. What would happen if you plug booth outputs from pod in both channels from Alto?

the achilles heel thread has been erased by its author, who is still using that particular findings (ie very carefully setting the amp bass control and cutting the cab resonator) plus the single input approach, and applying the MID FOCUS EQ just after the cab to take advantage of its low and high pass filters, and he is getting great results.

How would this work with a dual amp chain? Could you just put your Mid Focus att the very end? So using and editing a FRFR at bedroom levels is useless?

I imagine that you are using the comp at the beginning of the chain which generally would be a good place to get all your notes with a more similar dynamic..

but to reduce/limit the peaks at cab/mic level a comp should be placed just after the cab, thus working more as a peaks limiter but retaining a good output volume

Thanks but i now realized that the e string does the same think with cranked up headphones. Really wierd. might just be the bass?

Hm, that's interesting about that the Watts are overstated since i read a lot of posts on the AxeFx forums where people would use these things for practice and gigging with good results. You saying this can't be done? I think the 12 an 15 shares the same amp. What would happen if you plug booth outputs from pod in both channels from Alto?

It's just an observation that the output may be overstated in numbers. It is enough for me in practice situations. The point was possibly it might not compare to other amps output spec'd at 200w. I'm no expert but i use it momo and don't believe using stereo out to two channels would benefit output or bass tone with alto in any way.

the achilles heel thread has been erased by its author, who is still using that particular findings (ie very carefully setting the amp bass control and cutting the cab resonator) plus the single input approach, and applying the MID FOCUS EQ just after the cab to take advantage of its low and high pass filters, and he is getting great results..

Bummer. I really enjoyed that thread.

Just got my new Alto TS115a active monitor that i planned to use with my bass guitar through my Pod HD500x. The problem is that it is "farting out" while playing the low E-string (tuned to drop D) although, all the other strings sound just fine. I was thinking that the Alto maybe just couldn't handel the  low bass freq, allthough it's rated for 48 Hz -18 kHz (@ - 10 dB)

Unfortunately you most likely are exceeding the capabilities of your cab and speaker.  As you stated its rated for 48 Hz -18 kHz (@ - 10 dB) but low E on a bass guitar is about 41 Hz and you are playing drop D which is even lower.  As for the rated response, generally if you check the graph you will see that it is a steep drop off at the ends of the range.  The speaker cone in your Alto is designed for a wide range of music, not specifically for bass guitar and does not have the necessary excursion to respond well to those low frequencies which is why it farts out at the low end. 

You will need to use an EQ to dramatically lower the output at the lowest levels or better yet, add a subwoofer to your Alto!  The Alto subwoofer will keep all the freqs below 100Hz for itself and only pass those above 100 to your TS115 allowing it to function the way it was designed.  You can probably get away with the 12 sub since it is designed specifically for bass but if you really need that super low thump get the 18. No more farting, just chest thumping...

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/tssub12

As I said earlier, I realized that the wierd "farting out" - sound also existed while playing with my headphones at louder volumes. Then took it to the guitar store and tried a bass amp and it did a similar sound. I realized that the low E strings was making the sound while hit hard and was probably vibrating on to some frets or something so i cleaned it up, re-strung it with fresh good strings and I think the problem went away. I haven't had more then maybe 5-10 min to test it with the Alto yet but will do a follow up as soon as possible!

Unfortunately you most likely are exceeding the capabilities of your cab and speaker.  As you stated its rated for 48 Hz -18 kHz (@ - 10 dB) but low E on a bass guitar is about 41 Hz and you are playing drop D which is even lower.  As for the rated response, generally if you check the graph you will see that it is a steep drop off at the ends of the range.  The speaker cone in your Alto is designed for a wide range of music, not specifically for bass guitar and does not have the necessary excursion to respond well to those low frequencies which is why it farts out at the low end. 

You will need to use an EQ to dramatically lower the output at the lowest levels or better yet, add a subwoofer to your Alto!  The Alto subwoofer will keep all the freqs below 100Hz for itself and only pass those above 100 to your TS115 allowing it to function the way it was designed.  You can probably get away with the 12 sub since it is designed specifically for bass but if you really need that super low thump get the 18. No more farting, just chest thumping...

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/tssub12

That is interresting. My understanting was that most real bass cabinets actually where not able to produce those low frequencies themselves, and instead would roll off lollipop you mentioned?

Fore the time being I don't think I'll be needing the sub, but thank you for the suggestion. I might consider it if going on stage with a band.

"lollypop" is more of a filter when displaying posts - certain "words" are replaced when the output html is being assembled.  

In the past we have had times when the lollypop filter was not working quite as it normally does and the original text was displayed in all its glory.