Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

flextone 412 cab combined with DT25 head?

Liejp

Hello people,

I'm about to buy a second hand DT25 head.

I'm planning to combine it to a 412 cab I still have from my flextone II head.

For I'm a total noob... Can i match those 2?

greatings from Belgium

Liejp

Greetings Liejp and welcome/welkom/bienvenue/willkommen to the forum. (Sorry, I could not find a Flemish translator so I used Dutch)

I have no experience with the Flextone II head, but from reading some of this page (http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/legacy-products/amps/flextone-i-ii-iii-duoverb-hd147/flextone-general-i-ii-iii-faq-r462) it states: 

"The Flextone II HD is 100 watts per side at 4, 8, or 16 (switchable) ohms."

Matching the impedance of the amp and the cab is an important first step. Your cab should state what impedance options are available where you plug your speaker cables into the cab. Which ever option you choose, you need to match the correct output from the DT25. For example: If there is an option (switch) on your cab that sets it to 4 ohms, you will need to patch you speaker cable (not a regular guitar cable) to the 4 ohm output from you DT25. The DT25 also has 8 and 16 ohm options if required.

Another consideration would normally be power handling for combined speakers. Being that the DT25 is a 25 watt head (when it is not in low volume mode (LVM)) you should not have any worries there. Example: If each of your 4 speakers are rated at 30 watts, the cab can handle (4x30) 120 watts. If you did not blow the speakers in that cab with the Flextone II, you're safe. Here is a little tidbit from Celestion: (http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/1/37/Speaker_Upgrade:_Power_Handling/)

There are a lots of websites that can help you understand this type of information. Hopefully this gets you started in the right direction.

Since you are buying a used amp, be sure to check out the latest update for your DT25 (http://line6.com/software/index.html)

This page will help with things as well (http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/dt50dt25/)

Last but not least, the manuals: http://line6.com/support/manuals/dt25hd

The DT amps are pretty awesome. Enjoy!

I hope you and yours are safe where you are in Belgium.

• Upvote 2

Greetings, "Iknowathingortwo" (now that's a mouthfull :) )

French, dutch, german, english,... you name it, we speak it as being Belgian, thanks for the warm welcome!

It's highly appreciated.

It is indeed a line-6 cab, and as you stated there's a switch 4,8 16 ohm mono/stereo... switch.

It's one of the first, like the one in next link:

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/238860/used-line-6-4x12-slant-cab-guitar-speaker-cabinet-4-x-12

But heaven help, I don't understand all those technical terms...

I know when i bought it the seller told me the cab was 360Watts RMS, or 320 or 340, in any case it was over 300. :-)

So if I understand it correctly I have to choose the 4ohm position on the cab to use all 4 speakers?

Is it a good combination or is a 412 cab a lil too much for the dt25?

greetings

Liejp

Ps 1: Flemish is Dutch, only the pronunciation is totally different (like english and american)  :) :)

Ps 2: As i'm a law enforcer myself, I'm trying to keep it safe here every day! ;-) 

French, dutch, german, english,... you name it, we speak it as being Belgian, thanks for the warm welcome!

It's highly appreciated.

It is indeed a line-6 cab, and as you stated there's a switch 4,8 16 ohm mono/stereo... switch.

It's one of the first, like the one in next link:

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/238860/used-line-6-4x12-slant-cab-guitar-speaker-cabinet-4-x-12

But heaven help, I don't understand all those technical terms...

I know when i bought it the seller told me the cab was 360Watts RMS, or 320 or 340, in any case it was over 300. :-)

So if I understand it correctly I have to choose the 4ohm position on the cab to use all 4 speakers?

greetings

Liejp

Ps 1: Flemish is Dutch, only the pronunciation is totally different (like english and american)   :) :)

Ps 2: As i'm a law enforcer myself, I'm trying to keep it safe here every day! ;-)

This is a good thread and CypherHost had provided some great info. It's also a testament to "There is no stupid questions".

You should have no problem with that cab as long as it's good working order and the rated watts is more than your DT and that the Ohm output and speaker is matched.

Greetings Liejp, in Belgium!

P.S. This is what I read after I don't work with speakers and amps for a long time, lol.​

Series Vs. Parallel Wiring/How to wire speaker cabinets

Edited by Brazzy

My username is CipherHost. It's an anagram. Iknowathingortwo is a label you get for so many posts. Yours is Just Startin' for now. 

I will guess that each speaker is rated at 90 watts (4 x 90 = 360). Plenty of room there!

This may not be your cab, it looks like it is rated for 240 watts max, but I found only one manual I can read from the Line 6 manuals site for a 4x12 Line 6 cab. Here is the link:

http://line6.com/support/manuals/412vst

It has the information you need with easy to understand pictures of how you can hook things up. From what I can discern, you will run all four speakers in 4 or 16 ohm as well as using both pairs of speakers in stereo using both jacks. 

This is a good thread and CypherHost had provided some great info. It's also a testament to "There is no stupid questions".

You should have no problem with that cab as long as it's good working order and the rated watts is more than your DT and that the Ohm output and speaker is matched.

Greetings to Belgium!

Thanks for the bump Brazzy. Hope it is as nice out where you are as it is hear in NC. We will be taking out my Suzuki BOSS out for a spin today. Can't believe it is this nice at the end of November.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the bump Brazzy. Hope it is as nice out where you are as it is hear in NC. We will be taking out my Suzuki BOSS out for a spin today. Can't believe it is this nice at the end of November.

You got it CipherHost. It's nice here in S. FL today. last week was spotty with the sun, showers and clouds but to me it's always warm no matter how cold it gets, lol, as for 40 yrs. I used to play all day out in the below freezing weather. Enjoy that beautiful ride you got there. I'm very familiar the Big Four, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki, in no particular order, lol.

• Upvote 1

OMG, wasn"t paying attention! Must have made a total NOOb-impression! :)

I hope my cab's still ok... hard to say as the old flextone died...

If you have a good "ohm meter" (VOM) you could go over the cab and it's wires and check everything to see what ohm readings you get.

I've been dealing with electrics for a long time but still look things up to be sure of myself, once one becomes overconfident mistakes start to be made. You know the old saying "Pride Goeth Before Downfall" right? hahaha It's was like one of the first things I was taught after I able to read, lol.

Technically speaking yes it should work.

But, the Flextone cab might be FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) tuned. Meaning, sound response-wise, tuned to work with FRFR modeller amplifiers.

The DT25h is a guitar amp, not a FRFR modelling amp.

Bottom line- Yes you can connect a DT amp and Flextone cab and it will work. If it sounds good then, done! Maybe try the pair together before you buy.

• Upvote 1

Technically speaking yes it should work.

But, the Flextone cab might be FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) tuned. Meaning, sound response-wise, tuned to work with FRFR modeller amplifiers.

The DT25h is a guitar amp, not a FRFR modelling amp.

Bottom line- Yes you can connect a DT amp and Flextone cab and it will work. If it sounds good then, done! Maybe try the pair together before you buy.

Sounds like a very good point there, That thought didn't even enter my mind.