Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 POD HD500X buying used pointers

americanworkmule

Buying used gear is always a leap of faith, especially with something as complicated as the PODs...If it turns on, all the foot switches work, and it doesn't seem to have been dragged behind a pickup truck, or used for target practice...that's about as much as you're gonna be able to figure out without sitting down with it for an extended test drive.

• Upvote 1

Unless you are purchasing in a store or from a reputable online house such as Sweetwater, your hands are going to be a little tied especially if you are purchasing from Ebay or Craigslist without being able to physically inspect the unit prior to buying it.  All of the suggestions prior are very good.  At least with a store you can physically check everything and without a reputable online house you would be able to return it.

• Upvote 2

Buy mine. Everything works perfectly and it has all the amp packs :)

Seriously though. Spin every knob and push every button. Check all the input and output jacks at least visually to see if anything is broken. USB port has been shoddily made on several batches, so that's a big one to check. Mine works perfectly though, in case you're interested. :)

• Upvote 1

A few things that weren't noted:

- The expression pedal has a toe switch, so you can do things like switch it from volume to wah.  Make sure this works. 

- Make sure that all of the in's and out's work.  You may never use the digital out or the xlr's, but you probably *will* end up using all of the 1/4's at some point, so bring plenty of cables.

- Be absolutely positive the USB connection works.  Have them connect it to their computer and watch the settings open in the software.  Being able to edit on the computer is a *major* feature of these things, and the USB connections are apparently prone to crapping out so be doublesure this is good. 

• Upvote 1

Forgot to add - I highly recommend downloading the manual and studying ahead of time.  There's a LOT of human interface controls on these, and they aren't all visually obvious.  For instance, knobs could also be buttons, things that just look like labels are also buttons ... you really do want to make sure you at least know where all the things to press are :)

• Upvote 1

- Be absolutely positive the USB connection works.  Have them connect it to their computer and watch the settings open in the software.  ..... 

That would be best. But if the seller won't/can't do that at the point of sale, visually inspect the USB port. You should see a piece of black plastic in the port. If that is missing and you can see the exposed connection pins, the port is damaged and likely doesn't work. That's a deal-breaker. Don't buy it.

• Upvote 1

One thing you can do to make sure all the physical buttons, pots, and encoders all work is:

1. Hold the right arrow while powering on

2. Press down arrow once, then press view

3. Press everything that presses down (don't forget the pedal switch), when done it should return to the screen you were previously on

4. Press down arrow again, then view again

5. Turn each pot (amp controls) through its entire range, when done it should return to the previous screen

6. Press down arrow, then view

7. Turn each encoder, when done it returns to previous screen

Now you know that all physical controls work.

• Upvote 2

Holy Smoke these things are complicate for old farts like me. Makes me appreciate the old stomp boxes.

Thank you guys for all of the pointers.

The skinny on this is a friend of a friend is selling it for $250. They say its almost new, just too complicated for them.
I'm wondering if I really even need it. I recently purchased a JTV 59 and play through a Spider Jam with a FBV Express pedal (that really doesn't anything)

Another guy asked if I'd be interesting in playing some small gigs so I thought the HD would help me out.

Thanks again

What do I tell the Seller I am wanting to do when I ask to do all of this so they don't think I'm erasing all of their programs or something?
Is it like a basic Systems Check?
At least it'll give the appearance I may know something!  ha ha

One thing you can do to make sure all the physical buttons, pots, and encoders all work is:

1. Hold the right arrow while powering on

2. Press down arrow once, then press view

3. Press everything that presses down (don't forget the pedal switch), when done it should return to the screen you were previously on

4. Press down arrow again, then view again

5. Turn each pot (amp controls) through its entire range, when done it should return to the previous screen

6. Press down arrow, then view

7. Turn each encoder, when done it returns to previous screen

Now you know that all physical controls work.

What do I tell the Seller I am wanting to do when I ask to do all of this so they don't think I'm erasing all of their programs or something?

Is it like a basic Systems Check?

At least it'll give the appearance I may know something!  ha ha

I would say chances are good that the seller would already know this. A systems check is exactly what it is.

• Upvote 1

Holy Smoke these things are complicate for old farts like me. Makes me appreciate the old stomp boxes.

No, they are not. But it is overwhelming at first to have everything (and more) available all in one box. 

Been there, done that. I know what you're thinking - which is why I am trying to ease your worry. 

You've had 30 years of experience. Which means you can operate this. 

BUT, you've had 30 years of adding one piece at a time - which is what makes a complete-rig-in-a-box seem scary at first. But it isn't. 

Take every pedal you have and every amp you have - that is the Pod. Instead of having the physical boxes, you have them digitally. If you had a fire in your house and lost 30 years worth of gear and had to re-buy everything all at one time - you would have the same feeling of 'this is too much'. 

Start with an amp. Twist the digital knobs the way you would a real amp. ---- not that scary. 

Add a pedal, make sure you put it where the real pedal would be in the chain (guitar>pedal>amp), twist the digital knobs. --- not that scary. 

No different than you would having all of the physical devices. The difference is, because they are virtual devices, you can do so much more - like putting them in different orders, or using two settings for the same pedal. 

The most difficult thing you are going to find is the initial user settings. And it may take some time to learn what each does and how each one changes everything else. 

• Upvote 1