Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't Record Mic And Guitar Together On Ux2

I've recently got hold of a UX2 and I have been able to record guitar on it fine. I have tried for hours to find a way of recording two inputs at the same time and so far I haven't worked this out. I.e me singing and playing guitar at the same time and recording it on Reaper. How do I configure my system to do this? The SM58 mic input also seems very weak.

Here are more details:

UX2/Podfarm 2

Operating System : Windows 7

Mic : SM58

DAW : Reaper

The mixer setting on Pod Farm does not help as the drop down menu does not have any option for a guitar and mic input simultaneously. I have tried to go into tone direct setting via preferences, closed the UX2 software completely, changed to mic and instrument input on tonedirect, then opened Pod Farm...and still I can't get both mic and guitar doing a live input simultaneously.

Please help. Screenshot of mixer option on Pod Farm attached.

post-1706823-0-87256200-1375045698_thumb.jpg

You were close.

Be sure to setup a Dual Signal chain first.  Select Instrument (For the guitar) on the 1st input and Mic1 for the 2nd input.

See my attached screenshot.

This will do it.  

And just to make sure, use the stand-alone version for this (Or at least that's how I get it to work.)

Good luck!

DBack

Doughnut Blonde

post-1193435-0-95552200-1375067099_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

dback,

how do you record from the standalone application in Reaper?  I want 2 seperate tracks in Reaper, one with the instrument and the other with Mic 1.  

I'm not a user of Reaper (I use Logic 9), but I set my 1st track for "Input 1-2" and 2nd track for "Input 3-4".  See on Pod Farm mixing section on the right hand side, the faders for your sends?  Make sure that it's set for "Dry Input" unless you want processed sound to be recorded. 

Good luck and check out my band if you like at:

www.facebook.com/doughnutblonde

Using a lot of Pod Farm on my upcoming album...

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so i just got my UX2 tonight... Im having some problems figuring out how to use it properly :/ if i plug my guitar into the "line inputs" in the back i can hear it... but if i try to plug it into the "instrument input" on the front i cant... and the gain knobs dont seem to make any difference at all no matter where i plug it in... also... any time i try to adjust the latency to "extra small" buffer... it freezes and i have to unplug my UX2 and replug it in again... and i cant hear it... until i select the next option up (Im using Riffworks Standard btw) and when i select that i still have some lag... its pretty bad... but, basically it wont let me adjust the latency..... i didnt have this problem with my Pod XT Live :(  help???

Hi Jpeazy817,

I don't use riffworks but I can maybe help about inputs etc.

It is best to plug your guitar into the instrument input - unless you are playing it through something else like certain stompboxes which are outputting line level signal. I know you aren't getting sound through the instrument input but maybe there is some setup thing needing to be adjusted - so I'll just  mention some things to check - forgive me if you have tried these already :)

Plug the guitar into the instrument input (if a normal electric, into the normal instrument input - if its a guitar with ''active' battery powered pickups then probably plug it into the pad one.

Don't worry about any of the knobs on the ux2 except the output or headphones knobs - depending on how you are listening to it. If you are listening through speakers, then a cable should go from the two analog outs at the back of the ux2 to the input/s of the system you are using (these should be line level - so they might say line input on them). Sometimes people are using speaker systems that don't take line ins and so they put a cable between the phones output of the ux2 to the input of their system (this is ok if the system takes headphone level signals). If you are not sure which type you have, its best to try to find out or just be careful with volumes on the knob on the ux2 so that nothing too big goes out to your system.

Then open up pod farm standalone.

Go to 'File', 'Preferences', 'Hardware', 'and click on 'tone direct settings'. This will bring up the Line 6 Audio-Midi Devices box. You can open this from the Line 6 folder too under the tools folder.

Here you can select the sample rate and bit depth etc.

Forget about those just now and just try pulling the sliding lever at the bottom to the 2nd position (or maybe even 3rd or 4th) from the left. I prefer to have it right to the left as this reduces the delay time between playing and hearing the note, but its best to try it first a bit over to the right as this allows things to be setup and then once everything else seems to be working, then you can move it along until it sounds good and without any pops or hiccups in the sound.

Then press apply (if it is there to press) and ok and go back to pod farm standalone and ok the preferences screen. Its probably best to close pod farm and restart it and then go to 'mixer' view. In here, make sure that the first input says 'instrument' and that the other input is not active. In Tone A, turn the 'D.I. Level' right to the left as this controls how much bare guitar sound you get. Then select an amp etc. to use or a preset amp setup, and make sure the amp has some drive  and some output volume.

Then try playing and check that there is signal in the top left input 'in' meter and that there is some ouput on the top right meter. If not, turn up the out knob.

As I said, you might have done all of this but I thought I'd try some things first and see if anything helps. If its still not working, let me know and I'll try to help further.

God Bless,
David

Hi again Jpeazy817,

My apologies :(
I have just realised you clearly said that you had been setting the latency section etc. I don't know how I forgot what you had said.

If you are having latency problems in the 2nd position, try a bit further right until you get the audio problem worked out regarding the instrument input and then when that's ok, try seeing what things are running on your computer that you don't need running in the background. If you've got windows and have the graphically intensive aero features etc. going, you could try changing that and other settings to do with windows. You can also change the virtual memory settings and a few other things. You may have already tried these things. If you haven't and would like to know what to do, let me know and I'll try and help. I know there used to be a couple of videos and pdfs on the site that gave tips to reduce latency and help with performance.

Just found one:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/computer-based-recording/computer-audio-set-up-and-troubleshooting/windows-vista-7-and-8-tweaks-and-optimizations-r170

and some more things here:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/computer-based-recording/computer-audio-set-up-and-troubleshooting/

Not sure if there are mac/linux tips etc.

Hope things start working for you soon,

David

• 4 months later...