Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest Jtv Transplant Is Done

Well almost done in the pic. It was just awaiting final setup, back covers and truss rod covers when I took this crappy pic with my iphone. Coincidentally I was on sweetwater site today and saw a JTV59US for $4,899.

Ouch.

To get this baby was:

JTV59 donor $1300 from before prices went up.

Warmoth body $1155

Warmoth Neck $708

Custom shop P Rails $380

Labor and set up about $400

duncan triple shots $30

Total was $3,973 or $926 less. Plus I have a LP "copy" body and tyler designed pickups to mess around with.

When JTVs first came out I caught some slack for buying a perfectly good guitar only to rip it's guts out. On the other hand if someone had the bucks for a US model, all was good. . . .lol. If I am spending "big bucks", I would rather get exactly what I want, with neck specs that I love, scale length I prefer etc, and have enough left over to buy a used 69 off ebay! Heck if I sold the "gutless" 59 donor as a LP copy, and got 400- 500 for it I am close to having enough for a 59P goldtop.

9297053240_93b176a2f8.jpg
JTV-LP-Xplant by toasterdude, on Flickr

• Upvote 5

Excellent job, toasterdude. Looks great, and plays great too I'm sure. The reason I'm sure is that I did pretty much the same thing a few years ago - bought a donor Variax 300 and transplanted the guts into a Warmoth body/neck. It sill looks and plays great - but I rarely use it any more because I have a JTV-59. Even with the Korean build the 59 plays very well (not quite as well as the Warmoth) but the added features of the JTV have made it my go-to guitar. I still make a point of playing my Warmoth V300 sometimes, and every time I do I'm reminded of what an exceptional build it is.

Excellent job, toasterdude. Looks great, and plays great too I'm sure. The reason I'm sure is that I did pretty much the same thing a few years ago - bought a donor Variax 300 and transplanted the guts into a Warmoth body/neck. It sill looks and plays great - but I rarely use it any more because I have a JTV-59. Even with the Korean build the 59 plays very well (not quite as well as the Warmoth) but the added features of the JTV have made it my go-to guitar. I still make a point of playing my Warmoth V300 sometimes, and every time I do I'm reminded of what an exceptional build it is.

What body style warmoth? My old tele was a variax 500 xplant. Now has JTV guts from a 59, so I get the better playabity and JTV sounds. . .hopefully soon in "HD". . . .lol

7820286956_0a51733fd2.jpg

Untitled by toasterdude, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

I admire your ability to transplant the JTV guts, But Its a unfair comparison a  USA model and a put together warmoth.  When you go to sell it you would get allot more for a USA variax than a warmoth.  I often see warmoth guitars online for sale for about a quarter of what they paid for it if they are lucky.  For most guitar players Warmoth is not a familiar name brand unlike Fender Gibson that retain their value more.  Also I am not sure if warmoth offers set neck guitars like the JTV59, I think they are all bolt on necks.  Which that amount is allot to pay for a bolt on neck guitar.  Just my 2 cents but very cool guitar..

I admire your ability to transplant the JTV guts, But Its a unfair comparison a  USA model and a put together warmoth.  When you go to sell it you would get allot more for a USA variax than a warmoth.  I often see warmoth guitars online for sale for about a quarter of what they paid for it if they are lucky.  For most guitar players Warmoth is not a familiar name brand unlike Fender Gibson that retain their value more.  Also I am not sure if warmoth offers set neck guitars like the JTV59, I think they are all bolt on necks.  Which that amount is allot to pay for a bolt on neck guitar.  Just my 2 cents but very cool guitar..

Depends when you sell it. If you sell it years from now, and there is next gen "guts" available, both will sell for a fraction of what they cost. I am not worried about resale value as I never plan on selling. If I was, I would not have gone with purple;-)

I always have that conversation with a co worker, he collects old gibsons as an investment but also plays. I say, I do the opposite, I get a guitar custom built for 4-5k and would be lucky to get 20% if I sell.

As far as set neck, that was a disadvantage of the JTV 59 for me. I have seen a few people post that didn't dig the fatter type neck. I didn't, and also prefer 25.5 scale, SS frets, 1 11/16 and compound radius. I have had that tele for about 6 years or so and am extremely happy with it's sustain. I am not sure there is a real advantage to set necks.

BTW, a USA JTV69 is about 4k and is a bolt on. I have seen lots of threads about changing necks on the 69, strings falling off neck etc. Far from a great neck. Also the USA JTVs come with korean made pickups. Five grand is a lot to pay for a guitar with korean pickups. . ..lol.

I'd, KILLLLL for a tele variax.

Well. . . . mine is tele shaped but not a very traditional tele. Gotta say though putting the p rails on bridge rail and models on tele bridge, one through one amp say a deluxe reverb and the other through say a Vox, Morgan or DR Z, with some slap and verb. . . . . .pretty dang cool.

I usually have the mags set to rail bridge and p90 neck for more country type tones. In the above I get a very cool twang sound, I have the model selector locked so when I switch to neck pickup, I get p90 neck on mags and still have tele bridge on models. Love it.

Well. . . . mine is tele shaped but not a very traditional tele. Gotta say though putting the p rails on bridge rail and models on tele bridge, one through one amp say a deluxe reverb and the other through say a Vox, Morgan or DR Z, with some slap and verb. . . . . .pretty dang cool.

I usually have the mags set to rail bridge and p90 neck for more country type tones. In the above I get a very cool twang sound, I have the model selector locked so when I switch to neck pickup, I get p90 neck on mags and still have tele bridge on models. Love it.

I'd probably want a basic butterscotch tele with a maple neck:

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/guitarimages2006/fender_52tele_03/52telecasterri_003.jpg

I don't know why they don't have a tele JTV, I've seen so many tele transplants it's not even funny.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A big thank you to Toasterdude for your post. I've wanted to upgrade to a P Rails / Triple Shot set up on my 89F for more versatility on my mags and you've sealed the deal in my mind! My only concern is in the proper wiring for the upgrade. Would you mind shedding a little light by helping me with a wiring diagram? I would share the same 3 way toggle, 1 vol, 1 tone set up as on your tele (very nice job btw!).

Some people have incorporated push/pull pots in their builds and not used the triple shots. Pros/Cons?

I welcome anyone's help and opinions regarding this transplant. Thanks in advance guys!

Steve

I didn't do the wiring but if usuing triple shots should be just a matter of wiring leads from triple shots to where the original pickups were on the circuit board. I originally got the triple shots to try out the p rails so I wouldn't need to modify the guitar with mini toggles or push pulls. I guess push pulls may work on the volume and tone but they may be special pots and not as easy to find push pull with same specs. Also the triple shots give you 4 combinations on each pickup so I have just stuck with them.

I use the p90 and rail settings more than the humbucker settings so far.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Have done a few transplants ( so far only Variax 500) , too.

Would anybody know of a method to couple a motherboard of a JTV with a Graphtec -or, better - a L.R. Baggs bridge?

I´m in the phase of organizing a transplant into a LP type guitar, but would  like to use a regular style TOM setup.

Thanks for any hints!

post-1348139-0-11417900-1464863335_thumb.png

• 3 years later...