Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Links for free Impulse Responses (IR) here

HonestOpinion

Please post links for free Impulse Responses (IR) here.

Looking for links to freeware, promotional, basically any IR that is legal to share and download including Helix user created IRs that you are willing to share.

THANKS!!!

Here is one to get things started: http://www.openairlib.net

This is kind of an interesting site with a huge repository and has some extraordinarily different IRs available for download. There are definitely many in the mono 48khz format preferred by the Helix. The stereo ones can be used as well but you will only get the left channel per the documentation in the Helix. I suppose if you know how you could possibly also transform the IRs that are not in the proper format for the Helix. If you find an IR you like just click on the link and then select the "Impulse Response" tab. I have successfully downloaded the IRs from there.

Note: Some browsers will automatically try to play .wav files; you will need to make sure you use a browser that doesn't, or change the settings so that it gives you the option to download or play.

I have to admit I have yet to use them but it looks like there is some amazing potential here. These are not mic/cab IRs, they are IRs from all kinds of spaces and structures, natural and man-made, taken from locations around the globe, I imagine they could be used in lieu of a reverb or echo for instance, or perhaps even instead of a cab. Thinking some of these might also work well for acoustic guitar as well as electric.  They have one from a space that is described as having the longest natural echo of an any man-made structure in the world. 

http://www.openairlib.net

• Like 1

On 12/3/2015 at 6:15 PM, duncann said:

Here's a bunch: God's Cab Pack 1.4. Haven't really used these, but have read good things about them.

I doubt most of those listed on the openairlib.net site you linked will be of any use when uploaded to Helix. They'll be truncated to 2048 samples, making them basically neutered.

Thanks for the contribution, awesome!

Is the problem with the IRs on the openair site due to the size/duration, number of seconds of the IR? There are a lot of IRs there. Hopefully there are some that are short enough, if not, we will use them when the Helix III comes out :huh:. They might also be great to use in various software recording applications(DAWs).

Absolutely good for using in a DAW.

But yes, the problem with these and Helix is the length. At 48KHz with 2048 samples, the length would be 42.67ms. Most of those reverbs would be way longer than that.

You can click on the "RT60" column heading and this will sort from the samples with the shortest decay to the longest. There are some IRs that might be short enough in the OpenAir database, even truncated. http://www.openairli.../auralizationdb  However, I think most of them will be too long as you indicated for Helix use but great for use in a DAW.

There is this guy who makes IRs (7 guitar cabs pack available for download) from original sound track (mainly metal band):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNsITtzHwH2iRyaoEAqS9sg5WckfPp8CR

I tried the Metallica and System of Down ones, they sounds great.

He also explain how to create them with a DAW and some other VST pluggins on his

Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1nNAQL_6mQ

Based on his explanation, I was able to make my first IR, of the Nirvana song's Breed with these tools:

DAW Presonus Studio One,  (I'm using Pro version, but there is a free one avail. (http://https://shop.presonus.com/products/studio-one-prods/Studio-One-3-Prime)
Voxenco Deconvolver app    (http://www.voxengo.com/product/deconvolver/)
Voxengo Curve EQ               (http://www.voxengo.com/product/curveeq/
and Helix for reamping          (instead of TSE 808 / TSE X30 VST pluggins as suggested in his video)

• Upvote 2

here is a bunch I found and some I made with rewirerz mix2 prog from free ones I found. I think the best one I made is the "GHK.wav" the other good one is the kp-cab-ir.wav someone made with a kemper that was posted on TGP

enjoy friends: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m19ymuuus8qid7d/AACLHcDWpEUZsUF54GLom6Xua?dl=0

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Kalthallen Cabs. http://cabs.kalthallen.de/kalthallen_free.html

There are a Ton of them . I also bought some OH's. I've tried them all but in the end I've gone back to the Line 6 cabs in the Helix. Honestly, With a Line 6 Cab and the Parametric EQ  you can match any IR you want if you have a good enough ear.

For those who don't have the ear for that or maybe you haven't developed that yet you can use the Voxengo Curve EQ http://www.voxengo.c...roduct/curveeq/) to "sample" the sound you want and then use the Parametric EQ in the Helix to Mimic that sound. My Go-To cab in the Helix is the Rhino 4x10. It's very Beefy like a 4x12 cab but it might be a little dark for some so you can use the Low Cut in the Cab settings and also if needed you can throw a Simple EQ right before or after the cab to brighten it up a bit to your taste. Give it a try. It's so so different from Any of the other cabs in the Helix!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 7

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Kalthallen Cabs. http://cabs.kalthallen.de/kalthallen_free.html

There are a Ton of them . I also bought some OH's. I've tried them all but in the end I've gone back to the Line 6 cabs in the Helix. Honestly, With a Line 6 Cab and the Parametric EQ  you can match any IR you want if you have a good enough ear.

For those who don't have the ear for that or maybe you haven't developed that yet you can use the Voxengo Curve EQ http://www.voxengo.c...roduct/curveeq/) to "sample" the sound you want and then use the Parametric EQ in the Helix to Mimic that sound. My Go-To cab in the Helix is the Rhino 4x10. It's very Beefy like a 4x12 cab but it might be a little dark for some so you can use the Low Cut in the Cab settings and also if needed you can throw a Simple EQ right before or after the cab to brighten it up a bit to your taste. Give it a try. It's so so different from Any of the other cabs in the Helix!!

Ah ha! Someone else notices that the bass cabs are useful for something other than bass. I also like the Rhino cab. For an even darker tone, maybe not as fat, but more crunch around the edges, try the Beast.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posting my homebrew IR's with my corresponding Helix Amp and IR block (1024 & 2048 sample) presets to Dropbox.  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/009bkqzooza1aop/AAADW09SLlp1wWpRd2evJJ0Ca?dl=0

Note that the Helix Impulse slot number I used in the presets is indicated at the end of the IR name (...HlxImp001.wav).  You will probably want to rename them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

a little tip i remember with mic'ing amps and seems to work nicely with the own hammer 'edge' ir's. So you get a pretty dark tone with the mic at the edge of the cone but if you compensate by boosting the hi's and some higher mids after it (say with simple eq ) then you get a lovely character of the amp- it's not brash and hard like if you are mic'ing in the centre.. i learned this from stav's book ' mixing with your mind' .. he worked under sir George martin for a few years, so should know a thing or two, he said it captures more of the 'air' ;)

• Upvote 1

a little tip i remember with mic'ing amps and seems to work nicely with the own hammer 'edge' ir's. So you get a pretty dark tone with the mic at the edge of the cone but if you compensate by boosting the hi's and some higher mids after it (say with simple eq ) then you get a lovely character of the amp- it's not brash and hard like if you are mic'ing in the centre.. i learned this from stav's book ' mixing with your mind' .. he worked under sir George martin for a few years, so should know a thing or two, he said it captures more of the 'air' ;)

Nice tip, thanks! And RIP George Martin, he was an incredibly talented producer, I would happily take advice from him any time.

• 1 month later...

Attention all you two-voice-at-the-same-time-junkies.

Here are some alternatives for you. They are derived from Mama Bear. I used Logic Pro's Impulse Response Utility, they are all 32-bit (recorded at 24 and converted) 48K (recorded that way NOT converted) 2048 (a couple are 2047 or 2046, they work the same, it's just really hard to crop exactly 2048 in that clunky program) IRs. All of them work in Helix. I tested them.

Here's the thing. Mama Bear makes you not only choose the model, but the input device. I chose the setting that matched my PowerBridge, with EQ flat, captured all the IRs 100% wet (of course), and named them in a manner that should make total sense (ros means rosewood, mah means mahogany, etc. let me know if you can't figure the name of one of them or just download the Mama Bear manual). The number at the front is the number of the model in that manual.

A few really cool and different ones are the Gypsy Jazz, Archtop Jazz and resonator models. Very surprising.

What surprises me even more is that even though they were made with the "wrong" input selected for a "real" acoustic guitar, they seem to work great in that way! I tried some with my Crowdster and they worked really well. More subtle, I think, than the Fishman Aura ones floating around, and you may like those Fishman ones better (for certain things I think I still do). 

I will make a sample video when I can, and will probably capture another set with the under-saddle input circuitry selected to see if it works better with acoustic guitars.

I attached a zip file if you want as well. same files as the link above. It's in my thread here.

Let me know what you think and if they are useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I updated my IR collection mentioned just above this post.

There are now 3 zip files in there, using 3 different input profiles on Mama Bear.

a group with an input profile for an under-saddle piezo for an acoustic1xx_Dtar_type of guitar_ir

a group with an input profile for a Fishman PowerBridgebxx_Dtar_type of guitar_ir

a group with an input profile that is neutral. Note that the neutral IR is what appears to be a very very simple waveform. Is that good? I don't know. Also, these are 2048 sample IRs and I have a feeling they will work best that way. nxx_Dtar_type of guitar_ir

Also, they are pretty quiet (I have a feeling some of the others we've seen are somewhat compressed, these are not. You'll probably want to increase your IR volume from -18 to perhaps -12 or even higher.

I hope you like them. I don't even know if I like them yet, but I hope some of you do. So far I think these are less "natural sounding" but possibly much much better in a LIVE mix, as they seem to bite and cut through, even without a lot of added EQ. I suspect that whatever is going on in Mama Bear is not so much an IR as a sophisticated EQ curve. The "neutral" profiles are completely useless to me, but if you find a way to make them work, let us all know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YMP7cdVF-LTWE5TkFrb0ZTUGc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Free "Reverb Pack" IRs from 3Sigma and no login or email runaround to get them, you can buy some cab IRs if you like them. These are reverb IRs, not amp cabs. Some of them are targeted towards vocals.  Would love to hear back from anyone who tries them with a microphone through the Helix. Thanks 3Sigma!

http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/free-reverb-impulses/

UPDATE: Reverb IRs with tails longer than about 1 second get truncated in Helix.  You may still be able to use them, particularly in combination with a Helix reverb that makes up for the truncated tails but they may be best employed in a DAW that can take full advantage of them.

Free "Reverb Pack" IRs from 3Sigma and no login or email runaround to get them, you can buy some cab IRs if you like them. These are reverb IRs, not amp cabs. Some of them are targeted towards vocals.  Would love to hear back from anyone who tries them with a microphone through the Helix. Thanks 3Sigma!

http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/free-reverb-impulses/

...and Reverb IRs cannot be loaded into Helix - just to sort things out ;)

I don't believe that is the case, reverb IRs can be used with the Helix. I was able to import these reverb IRs into the Helix with no issue and I have to say they sound good. For those of us hungering for some more quality reverbs on the Helix this may not be exactly what we had in mind but it is a start. Give it a try.

UPDATE: Reverb IRs with tails longer than about 1 second get truncated in Helix.  You may still be able to use them, particularly in combination with a Helix reverb that makes up for the truncated tails but they may be best employed in a DAW that can take full advantage of them.

I don't believe that is the case. I was able to import these into the Helix with no issue. 

Yes, you may can import them, but Helix truncate to 2048samples length, means: 2048samples/48000samples (1 second) = 0,042seconds (42ms) in the time domain. Enough to represent a closed miced cabinet, but not enough to represent Reverb tails ...

• Upvote 1

Yes, you may can import them, but Helix truncate to 2048samples length, means: 2048samples/48000samples (1 second) = 0,042seconds (42ms) in the time domain. Enough to represent a closed miced cabinet, but not enough to represent Reverb tails ...

Thanks for the clarification. Yep, too bad about that sample length limit, that definitely puts a damper on what you can do with reverb IRs but I have to say that I am finding them usable nonetheless. I guess they will have extremely limited application.

• Upvote 1

...and Reverb IRs cannot be loaded into Helix - just to sort things out ;)

Aaargh, it looks like klangmaler has a point about reverb IRs. They will be severely truncated in terms of the reverbs tails but they can be loaded and might be useful in certain applications. You may find them more useful in a DAW where they can be used to their full potential but they are kind of cool to play around with in the Helix as well.

Btw, the vocal reverb sounds pretty good on my acoustic guitar preset, particularly in combination with a Helix reverb to compensate for the truncated Reverb tails.

Yep. This is a "right-from-the-launching-intractable-misunderstanding".

IRs in Helix make sense if they are short and small ;)

On 12/3/2015 at 6:28 PM, duncann said:

Absolutely good for using in a DAW.

But yes, the problem with these and Helix is the length. At 48KHz with 2048 samples, the length would be 42.67ms. Most of those reverbs would be way longer than that.

On 6/2/2016 at 5:35 PM, cabIReu said:

On 6/3/2016 at 10:59 AM, klangmaler said:

Yep. This is a "right-from-the-launching-intractable-misunderstanding".

IRs in Helix make sense if they are short and small ;)

My thanks to Duncann, cabIREU, and klangmaler for offering some guidance and clarity on the use of Reverb IRs and IRs in general on the Helix. One option might be if the  current Helix could  allow larger IRs by cutting down the number of total IR slots available for folks who want to experiment with IRs with longer sample lengths. Ideally though we would have more slots available and a larger max IR file size as well as a longer namespace in the next Helix(this?) version.  IR names are loooong...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone tried the Fat Lazy Cabs pack on the Helix? Demos sound pretty good.

http://fatlazycabs.bigcartel.com/product/fat-lazy-cabs

I'm looking for good metal tone and considering:

1. Ownhammer

2. Redwirez

3. Fat Lazy cabs

4. Rosen Digital

5. 3 Sigma.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for turning us onto these but this topic is intended for free impulse responses and I don't see any on their site. If there aren't any it would probably be better to not turn this topic into a general discussion of Impulse Responses although a bit of that has occurred (don't want to force folks to wade through too many posts without free links). There are topics already out there better suited for that. Thanks for dredging this topic back up though. It has been a while since I have seen anything added.

Thanks for turning us onto these but this topic is intended for free impulse responses and I don't see any on their site. If there aren't any it would probably be better to not turn this topic into a general discussion of Impulse Responses although a bit of that has occurred (don't want to force folks to wade through too many posts without free links). There are topics already out there better suited for that. Thanks for dredging this topic back up though. It has been a while since I have seen anything added.

Is there another thread to discuss all impulses ?I missed it...

Is there another thread to discuss all impulses ?I missed it...

Go out to the general Helix forum and type in 'Impulse Response' in the search box. It will bring up a couple of dozen threads either specific to IRs or where they have been discussed. Good hunting and thanks again for reviving this topic  :)

• Upvote 1