Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with JVM410h

drjs83

Hey

Just wondered if anyone is using a Line 6 Helix with their JVM?

I had so much trouble with my G-System that it is up for sale and I'm thinking about a Helix. I was hoping to use the JVM gain and connect the Helix via the 4cable method.  I would like to send the delays/reverbs through the fx loop.  Would just like to hear some feedback from anyone who is using a Helix with a JVM via the 4 cable method. Do you need to use hum destroyers or line level shifters.  The JVM fx loop and the G-System just couldn't agree with each other!  

My JVM is probably a PC only Midi version.

Thanks

Hey

Just wondered if anyone is using a Line 6 Helix with their JVM?

I had so much trouble with my G-System that it is up for sale and I'm thinking about a Helix. I was hoping to use the JVM gain and connect the Helix via the 4cable method.  I would like to send the delays/reverbs through the fx loop.  Would just like to hear some feedback from anyone who is using a Helix with a JVM via the 4 cable method. Do you need to use hum destroyers or line level shifters.  The JVM fx loop and the G-System just couldn't agree with each other!  

My JVM is probably a PC only Midi version.

Thanks

Hi drjs83, I am just going through the process now, of setting up my Helix with JVM410h. I only got my Helix a few days ago so I am still working it all out but so far so good.

I have connected it via the 4CM method and connected a midi cable for switching channels, fx loop and reverb on the JVM. 

I can now switch between using a channel on the amp (with or without fx) or choose to use the power amp of the jvm and slot in a preamp from the helix. 

I was using a TC Nova system before this and could never make it work seamlessly with the jvm either. The helix sounds freaking amazing and plays very well with the JVM.

Thanks ringo05!

It's great to hear that you are having some success.  I thought about buying a Boss ES-8 to control my rig and stompboxes, but I've seen a few posts where people are having trouble getting them to switch the JVM.  That's why I'm asking questions about the Helix before I take the plunge.

I may have to ask you a few questions when I get my hands on a Helix!

Just need to sell the G-System to make room!

Thanks ringo05!

It's great to hear that you are having some success.  I thought about buying a Boss ES-8 to control my rig and stompboxes, but I've seen a few posts where people are having trouble getting them to switch the JVM.  That's why I'm asking questions about the Helix before I take the plunge.

I may have to ask you a few questions when I get my hands on a Helix!

Just need to sell the G-System to make room!

No worries drjs83. I got some time off these next few days so I will be diving deeper into it and start creating some custom patches. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am in process setting up the Helix Line 6 with 2 additional expression pedals, Earnie Ball volume pedal, JVM410HJS (master), second JVM410H, ProCo RAT, Ibanez FL301.

I am making the following connections:

- FX Loop 1 connect to PROCO RAT

- FX Loop 2 send to JVM410HJS input, and return to the 410 FX send

- FX Loop 3 connect to Volume pedal

- FX Loop 4 connect to FL301

- Output Left to JVM410HJS FX return

- Output Right to JVM410H FX return

- Midi out to JVM410HJS Midi in; JVM410HJS Midi Thru to JVM410H Midi In

- EXP 2 and 3 connected with line 6 expression pedals

Issue: master volume on both Marshall amps set to 5, both amps drive a 1960AV cab, the volume from the second JVM is remarkably lower. I checked, use same programmable JVM FX loop and set to full wet signal.

I am running now the Output right to JVM410H input and use channel 1 in clean mode. This helps to put both amps at same performance level. Don't need to run Midi to second amp.

Does anybody have an explanation for this?

I have bypassed all effects, and only have FX Loops 2 and 3 active.

Additional info: use the following effects (all mono) before the JVM410HJS - Wah, Distortion, FX Loop 1, EQ, Phaser; after preamp - EQ, compressor, FX Loop 3 and 4, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Looper; programmed clean, crunch, OD1 and OD2 for each of my guitars (Les Paul Cst, ES335, Strat 1, Strat 2, Driskill Diablo); can now operate at Bank and Preset levels and still use the JVM foot switch as well.

Use internal expression for Wah, external expression for various effects parameters - reverb depth, etc., all cables are high quality planet waves; effects sounds are excellent; still need to tweak Marshall and EQ settings for each guitar

• 2 years later...

Bump.

This is an old topic, but  I am in the process of setting my new Helix up to work with the JVM HJS. Can someone shed a bit of light on the following:

1. I am going to use it in the 4cm setup and I would like to know the procedure for programming MIDI channel switching with the Helix?
2. With the G-System, I am used to selecting presets with the bottom row of footswitches and switching fx within the current preset with the top row. I know you cannot do it this way with the Helix, but it has the snapshot thing. How do you go about switching presets, fx, snapshots?

Thanks

Robert

• 8 months later...

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of buying the Helix to replace my pedalboard.  I have a JVM 410H with switching pedal, plus an Eventide H9 Max, Majik Box Rocket Fuel, and I control the amp and FX with a TC Electronic Ground Control Pro.  Just too much gear to haul and I want to simplify things.  Obviously, the FX in the Helix are stellar.  My concern is will I be able to change channels on the JVM via MIDI?  I use all 4 channels on the amp and I'm wondering if the set up is difficult with the Helix.  With the TC Electronic GC, it's as simple as choosing on a channel on the pedal to assign any FX changes and channel change on the JVM, then pressing the MIDI button on the amp and it sends and stores the channel change with the GC PRO.  Does it work in a similar fashion with the Helix or will I have to assign CC's for each snapshot, etc.  I'm hoping someone can either explain the set up routine or send me to a link that explains the process!  Thanks in advance!