Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noisey FX loop?

ericjutsu

I love my Keeley 4 knob comp,but it has never, ever played nice with my L6 modeling gear. Tried it with the X3L back in the day, and then with HD500, always had issues. As for noise when switched off, look at cables, and how you are powering the Keeley. Batteries? With it on, it listens for signals in a certain range that normally would be truncated in a typical pedalboard to guitar amp scenario. Something about the expanded frequency range of the modelers caused my Keeley comp to pick up and boost a lot of white noise and hiss, that is not evident when using my regular pedalboard. Dunno, but love that Keeley! Maybe look at some EQ after it, see if you can tame the frequency range. Also, for what it's worth, the Keeley C4 doesn't allow low frequencies past a certain point to pass through it. I tried to use it with a 5 string bass, and everything lower than the open E string was negatively impacted.

I haven't snagged their new comp gear, that compressor pro looks awesome, as does the GC2 limiting amplifier

https://robertkeeley.com/product/keeley-compressor-pro-namm-2015/

https://robertkeeley.com/product/gc-2-limiting-amplifier-compressor/

The FX loop in the Helix is very noisey for me.  Even when I have the Pedal in the loop(keeley 4 knob compressor) turned off but with the FX loop block on  it is very noisey still.  What could be the problem?

did you try a short, single cable in the fx loop...nothing else...? that way you could figure out, if the noise really comes from the fx loop or from the pedal...

did you try a short, single cable in the fx loop...nothing else...? that way you could figure out, if the noise really comes from the fx loop or from the pedal...

Yes I plugged in a Mogami Gold instrument cable into the send/return with no pedal or anything and it still makes noise.

I get a significant amount of hiss when an fx loop (mono in this case) is put before an amp block, and entirely vanishes when placed after the amp/cab, just like jdalaz said. This is with a patch cable in the fx loop being used. But it's not just after the cab block. For example, on a patch with three different gain blocks before the amp: compressor, valve driver, and gain block, when the fx loop is placed after the compressor, the hiss is slightly less. After the valve driver and it's just about gone. After the gain block and it's completely gone.

Another interesting thing about using a patch cabled fx block is when putting it after the amp, or after the cab, and setting the mix to 50%, it's gives a very airy quality to the tone. Almost like a stuck flanger. It's actually sounds like it could be useful somewhere. Whether or not it is supposed to do this, I don't know.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I get a significant amount of hiss when an fx loop (mono in this case) is put before an amp block, and entirely vanishes when placed after the amp/cab, just like jdalaz said. This is with a patch cable in the fx loop being used. But it's not just after the cab block. For example, on a patch with three different gain blocks before the amp: compressor, valve driver, and gain block, when the fx loop is placed after the compressor, the hiss is slightly less. After the valve driver and it's just about gone. After the gain block and it's completely gone.

Another interesting thing about using a patch cabled fx block is when putting it after the amp, or after the cab, and setting the mix to 50%, it's gives a very airy quality to the tone. Almost like a stuck flanger. It's actually sounds like it could be useful somewhere. Whether or not it is supposed to do this, I don't know.

(I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone else will read this) What you're experiencing is due to phase cancellation. There's a slightly different time delay for the signal to pass through the external FX send/return vs the internal "signal". Pretty much exactly what a flanger does, it just varies the time difference. (The Electric Mistress actually has a switch to lock the time, hence that "stuck flanger" sound - think Alex Lifeson ala Freewill solo.)