Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to record and playback MAIN MIX from SD

I can only record INPUTS onto the SD card.

If I select "RECORD MAIN MIX ONLY".... then press the record button, the meter runs, but when I hit STOP, then PLAY, there is no length of the recorded file.  Nothing plays back.

GOAL.

I want to record the band playing an entire song onto the SD card, then play back that recording as I mix from ipad.

So, further experimentation...

Again,

I recorded MAIN MIX ONLY to and SD Card.

After 10 seconds or so, I stop the recording.

The meter shows that a 10 second file was registered.

When I push the PLAY button, the time stamp ZEROs out, and nothing plays, whatsoever.

I'm getting ZERO sound when I try to play back.

And also, the soundfile length is 0:00.

However, when I transfer the SD card to the PC and play back, I'm getting a very LOW VOLUME, heavily muted bassy sound file.  THere is kb data size in the recorded file... the sound is just utterly muted/bass'd out.

ANy ideas?  Im probably doing something wrong as this is my first day with the M20D.

Thanks

ryan

It's not a problem... it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

When recording you have three options:

Inputs & Main Mix (1-20 plus stereo l/r mains out)

Inputs Only (1-20)

Main mix (stereo l/r mains out)

If you try to playback using the Record interface, all that happens is that the raw 1-20 channel recrdings are delivered to the channel strips and are run though the currently set mix. Inputs recordings 1-20 are RAW unprocessed recordings of each input. Thus, if you've only recorded "Main Mix" there is nothing to play back.

When playing back through the record screen, the "main out mix" recording is irrelevant.

From the manual: (page 4.6)

Playing Back A Main Mix Recording

A Main Mix recording can only be played back using the Media Player in Tweak Mode. To do so, select the Media Player icon on the stage, then Press the Tweak button. Tap the Media Player tab and the Media Player UI will be displayed.

Tap the Add Files To Playlist button, then navigate the File Browser until you find the Main Mix recording you’d like to play back. Select it, then tap the blue OK button. This adds the track to the list. Now just select the track and press the Play button. Your track will play back in stereo through channels 17 & 18.

If you wish to have your band play a full song then get you mix on your ipad using that recording, you need an 'inputs' recording. You then play it back until you are happy with your mix. So, you need either "Inputs & Main Mix" or "Inputs Only"

Chain of events for us:

Input auto-trim and "mic" inputs (drums, guitar cabs, vox and my sax)

Run through part of a song, to get monitor levels to where everyone is happy.

Play through a full song (normally one which has all backing vox etc in play) whilst we record "inputs only".

We then do a preliminary mix in headphones.

Playback recording again and bring the masters up to hear it in the room, tweaking a little more if necessary.

In some rooms, we've also been known to play through a short section again 'live' whilst someone is out front just to confirm that backline bleed isn't colouring the FOH mix.

SiWatts...

Question...  (stupid question, but im new)

If I record INPUTS ONLY then play it back from the media player as you suggest, will the sound be coming out of the FOH as a new main mix... so I can hear the new mix?

To simplify...

I want to record the entire band song.

Walk into the audience and listen through the mains, and play the song back as I tweak the mix.

One other point, as I'm playing it back, I want to MUTE ALL OTHER INPUTS... as I don't want the mics on stage to be picking up sounds from the mains/monitors and distorting the mix.

Sorry to be so dumb at the moment.

Thanks

Ryan

No worries... we all started somewhere

INPUTS ONLY recordings play back through their respective channels ie through the full set of channel processors. Only the "Main Mix" has to be played back through media player.

Play your track whilst recording via the "RECORD" screen.

When you've stopped/finished the recording, use the "Mute Inputs" tap button on the RECORD screen. This prevents further signal being received from the physical inputs, meaning that only the recorded material will be presented to each channel.

Playback the recording by pressing the Play button on the RECORD screen.

Swap to the PERFORM or TWEAK screens as appropriate to modify your channel settings as the recording plays back. If necessary, restart the playback as required.

To work this way, "MUTE MICS" and "MUTE ALL" switches on the M20d should be OFF.

I don't want the mics on stage to be picking up sounds from the mains/monitors and distorting the mix.

The reality here is that they're going to be doing just that throughout your performance, as will your backline etc on stage. Sometimes, taking backline bleed into account in your mix will yield a better overall outcome. We've played back a mix that was perfect in isolation, brought the monitors up to performance level and it changes the whole dynamic. Add in the band playing behind the mics and it alters again. Mixing from a recording is a godsend BUT it has its limitations. Get your mix somewhere like, then add in the additional stage noise and reassess... easiest done if someone is wireless and can go out front while the band plays again. It doesn't take much to correct matters, normally just bringing the amplified backline down in the FOH mix.

The best bit of advice I can give you...

Start NOW on the job of convincing your fellow band members to REDUCE THEIR ONSTAGE VOLUME (I've yet to meet a band where there isn't at least one "problem" performer). If you don't, the job of creating that killer mix gets considerably harder. In our old lineup, our problem player was our (now departed) bassist who would constantly push his level up and up through the night. The result... everyone else needs to turn up, then singers can't hear themselves so either blow their voices or ask for more monitors. In the meantime your risk of feedback goes through the roof and stress levels across the board skyrocket. The feedback detection and notching in the M20d is pretty good but it doesn't/can't work miracles. Keep the levels down onstage, let the PA do the job it is designed for.

When you get it right, you'll know it. We have yet to do a gig (and band's I've done sound for) where we didn't get a comment about how good we sounded. Moreover we get asked about the gear regularly. With the old traditional PA we used to use, nobody ever made a comment about sound quality.

Finally, don't be scared to come back and ask any other questions you might initially consider stupid! They're not stupid, merely novice and there's several of us here who will do our best to help you out.

That is a riot!!!!

I fully comprehend your note and will work on perfecting that approach.

I've found that many will just listen to their sound, without listening in relation to the other parts. Bass guys don't often get that. I've caught our guy doing just that. I'm the guitar, and have mega volume at my beckon. But, I play all my effects through mainstage, so my volume can NEVER change, unless I have to play up to cover others. Hence the spiral from hell that you mentioned.

Hahahaha. This is terrific technology. I'm a guitar guy, not a sound guy.... So the m20 is perfectly what I need. I don't care one bit about traditional faders. I'm basically in heaven.

Many many thanks.