Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Violin-like volume swells with volume pedal set to "Logarithmic"

HonestOpinion

The Helix expression pedal is killing it on volume swells! I just wanted to take a second to say how amazing volume swells on the Helix sound with the volume pedal block's "Curve" parameter set to "Logarithmic". I am getting extremely musical violin-like swells with zero effort; no capoeira, ninja, or dance skills required.   Really effortless and sweet sounding.  These are the best sounding and easiest to create "violin" swells of any expression pedal I have ever tried. Something I only use on a few songs but it sounds superb!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The volume block when set to linear is unusable. I'm not sure why they even put the option in there. But when set to logarithmic it has a nice feel to it. I'm not sure if I would give it any awards or anything. Now if they have this with an auto option attached to it, with several parameters to control it, it might be deserving.

The volume block when set to linear is unusable. I'm not sure why they even put the option in there. But when set to logarithmic it has a nice feel to it. I'm not sure if I would give it any awards or anything. Now if they have this with an auto option attached to it, with several parameters to control it, it might be deserving.

I find the Linear setting alright for general volume adjustments but Logarithmic far superior for volume swells, but you have convinced me that maybe I should try leaving it set to "Logarithmic" for general use as well. I would agree I am not ready to give it an "Expression Pedal Of The Year" award yet, but it is working really well for certain operations. Not quite sure what you were referring to with the "auto" option. Do you mean like having an "auto volume" effect like the old Boss "Slow Gear? Loved the "Slow Gear", hope they add that effect at some point.

Great tip, HonestOpinion!  

I never would've thought to make that switch to "Logarithmic" but it works as you say.  Yet another of the thousands of hidden delights.

Hooray for Helix!

Thanks! Clearly some other more experienced folks were already aware of it but I just stumbled across it.

Not quite sure what you were referring to with the "auto" option. Do you mean like having an "auto volume" effect like the old Boss "Slow Gear? Loved the "Slow Gear", hope they add that effect at some point.

Not familiar with the slow gear, but essentially, yup, an auto-volume.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Auto-volume-for-Helix/741035-23508

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 4:52 PM, duncann said:

Not familiar with the slow gear, but essentially, yup, an auto-volume.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Auto-volume-for-Helix/741035-23508

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-Slow-Gear-SG-1/818934-23508#idea-tab-comments

There was a post in this forum around april 2016 which actully demonstrated what the SG-1 can do.

A lot of people would probably find customizable response curves really useful.

And now that the auto-volume delay legacy effect from the HD is in Helix, the Boss SG-1 is less pressing, but would still be a great addition.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to give this a whirl  with my ebow.  I don't know if anybody here uses an ebow, and most of what you can find about them from users are, "nice effect, but useless".  However if you play around with them to color a song, they are practically essential.

I'll let you know what comes of it.  Thanks for the tip, HO.

I personally don’t care line6’s choice in log curve on the Helix. Hence I have submitted an idea in Ideascale for variable log curves.  In this department, I miss the GT-8’s log curve. 

15 hours ago, hideout said:

I personally don’t care line6’s choice in log curve on the Helix. Hence I have submitted an idea in Ideascale for variable log curves.  In this department, I miss the GT-8’s log curve. 

The GT-8 did have a great log curve IIRC...

The L6 curve is still a little too linear for my liking, but it is much better than the linear setting for volume and wah. There is always room for improvement :) 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, codamedia said:

The GT-8 did have a great log curve IIRC...

The L6 curve is still a little too linear for my liking, but it is much better than the linear setting for volume and wah. There is always room for improvement :) 

My sentiments exactly. The one we have now is unwieldy .