Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Amps Are Working Well WIth Helix

Paultm

So which amps are working? I am considering a DT25 but want to look at all options.

Some key considerations:-

• Channels changing via Helix
  • Do front of amp effects work well
  • Is Midi the best option

Look forward to your comments

Cheers

Paul

I have a Friedman JJ100.

The Helix does change the Friedman's channels effectively, however when you have the stereo cable connected from the Helix's ext amp control jack to the Friedman amp channel control jack the expression pedal on the Helix will not go to the 100% position (only to 96-98%). Becomes an issue if you want to use it for pitch shifting effects. I have a support ticket submitted to customer service and I'm being told it's being worked on.

I know there is the same issue with the Friedman Small Block.

Besides that, the Helix sounds great with the Friedman, effects in front of the amp and in the fx loop.

Running mine with a Mesa Mk5:25 at the moment and no issues at all. Running 4 cable. Pitch shift in the front for detune plus phaser, wah then delays/chorus and flanger etc in the loop. Also use it for channel changing. Not using amp sims for no other reason that I use the Mesa all the time :)

It depends how you want use HELIX.  I personally have not used an actual amp for years and run directly to the PA, or on some occasions use an FRFR amp as a stage monitor.  But this more the result of wanting to be able to use the Variax acoustic emulations effectively.  These will not work well with a dedicated guitar amp due to the frequency response

I've had my Helix for a couple of months now and have been using it direct to PA and loving it.  I tried hooking it up to my DT25 HD and a 1X12 cab this weekend.  I used the L6 Link and a midi cable for control.  As of now, the Helix doesn't fully integrate like the HD500 but it is so easy to use midi to do the same thing with Helix.  I turned off all the amp, cab and mic sims in the DT and just used the Helix for everything.  I tried the preamps and full amps with and without cab sims.  I found the cab sims unnecessary and the preamps have a wide range of volume swings.  The full amp models are pretty close in volume levels and sound amazing through the DT.  Miles ahead of the HD500, really just blew me away.  I really can't say enough about how great it sounds.  If you go with the DT you won't be disappointed.  I posted the whole setlist as a template in another thread on here if you want it or just let me know.

I've had my Helix for a couple of months now and have been using it direct to PA and loving it.  I tried hooking it up to my DT25 HD and a 1X12 cab this weekend.  I used the L6 Link and a midi cable for control.  As of now, the Helix doesn't fully integrate like the HD500 but it is so easy to use midi to do the same thing with Helix.  I turned off all the amp, cab and mic sims in the DT and just used the Helix for everything.  I tried the preamps and full amps with and without cab sims.  I found the cab sims unnecessary and the preamps have a wide range of volume swings.  The full amp models are pretty close in volume levels and sound amazing through the DT.  Miles ahead of the HD500, really just blew me away.  I really can't say enough about how great it sounds.  If you go with the DT you won't be disappointed.  I posted the whole setlist as a template in another thread on here if you want it or just let me know.

Great thanks, do you have any recordings? So what output do you send to the PA?

In theory, since they are full models, you could send the DT back to the Helix, run it through an IR or cab, and send that to PA too. Be an interesting A/B for what Helix sends direct, vs that through the DT tubes and a Helix cab sim..

I know, I know, I'm fixated on this idea DT back to Helix idea!! Anyhow, glad the DT sounds good, that makes for a nice pairing, have good stage sound via DT and let Helix deal with the signal to PA.

Hello Robert...

Do either of those amps have an FX loop.... it would sound much better if you connected the Helix OUTs to the amplifier FX Returns.

The Helix was not designed to go in front of an amp unless

1. you are using it with 4 Cable Method or

2. unless you are using it for Pre FX with your preamp and without any Helix models/ cabinet responses..

To respond to the original Post I am using the Left/ Mono 1/4" Out to a Fryette Power Station feeding [2] Mesa cabs.

helix_rig_2.jpg

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

Well I'm running out of helix into the front end of two fenders, a super sonic, and Vibro King. Not having the best results. High gain being the hardest to get sounding good, but even clean tones a problematic, splat,fizz, overall my tone seems thin, and brittle!

Try the high pass filter on the cab. 

I turn it down to 5000 max

Hello Robert...

Do either of those amps have an FX loop.... it would sound much better if you connected the Helix OUTs to the amplifier FX Returns.

The Helix was not designed to go in front of an amp unless

1. you are using it with 4 Cable Method or

2. unless you are using it for Pre FX with your preamp and without any Helix models/ cabinet responses..

To respond to the original Post I am using the Left/ Mono 1/4" Out to a Fryette Power Station feeding [2] Mesa cabs.

helix_rig_2.jpg

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

Thanks for getting back guys!

The super-sonic has fx loop, will give that a try in practice tonight. I'm not running any full amps or cabs models, only preamp models to add dirt. One thing I've noticed for sure is when I run guitar-helix(no blocks selected)-amp, it sounds nothing like running guitar-amp, Nothing!

Helix is taking a massive toll on my signal! Is this normal I'm wondering?

Thanks for getting back guys!

The super-sonic has fx loop, will give that a try in practice tonight. I'm not running any full amps or cabs models, only preamp models to add dirt. One thing I've noticed for sure is when I run guitar-helix(no blocks selected)-amp, it sounds nothing like running guitar-amp, Nothing!

Helix is taking a massive toll on my signal! Is this normal I'm wondering?

You might try the amp (not amp+cab) models into your fx loop. I find them to be closer in level, and better sounding than the preamp only models into an fx loop.

I have my Helix connected to a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister head with Mesa Boogie speaker cabinets. I use the "5 Cable Method"! Cable from guitar to Helix guitar input, 2 cables from Helix's effects loop going into the send & receive of the Grandmeister, cable from the mono output of the Helix to the input of the Grandmeister, and a MIDI cable going out of the Helix to the MIDI in on the back of the Grandmeister. I not only set up presets on the Helix, I use the Helix as a MIDI controller! Once I create a preset with the effects I want, I assign a MIDI Instant Command for that preset using the Command Control (CC) functions, such as: Channel 1, CC# 1, Value 0. Then I follow the steps with the Grandmeister to 'Save' the settigs on the amp. Voila! I call up the preset and the amp settings with tap of that preset's footswitch. I now have the best guitar amp set up I have ever had!

You might try the amp (not amp+cab) models into your fx loop. I find them to be closer in level, and better sounding than the preamp only models into an fx loop.

True... I found this as well.... Use the AMP models if you are using a tube amp FX return with guitar speaker cabs... So much better when you 'crank' it!

Seeya

Joe

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming!

Would be more ideal using powered PA speakers? Would that be to dry?

I go directly to the mixing board and use the PA monitors, no fuss no muss, minimum equipment to carry. However you may prefer the thump and sound of a real amp or an FRFR coming from behind you. Really a preference thing contingent on how much equipment you need to get a sound you are happy with. Of course each piece of equipment adds another possible point of failure (but possibly redundancy/backup as well).  I don't find the PA too dry but I do find it requires more EQ to keep the sound from getting muddy, brittle, or fizzy. Any full range PA speaker or FRFR and even many guitar amps will generally require correct EQ on the Helix to rein in the high and low end and get the best sound.

I will say that a PA may be a little trickier to get a warm sound from than a tube amp which already has that warm analog thing going on. The upside is that the PA or an FRFR is relatively neutral allowing you to get a sound truer to the amp you are emulating when dialed in properly. If you are going through your Marshall, even if you have the settings neutral, no matter which Helix amp model you pick, it will always have at least a bit of that filtered through a Marshall sound (which you might prefer).

So looking for a used DT25 now, hope to get one soon.

1. How did you turn off the amp,cab & mic sims  on the DT ?
  2. If I want to use the DT for a jam with just a guitar, will I need to reset the DT to use the amp models? 

So looking for a used DT25 now, hope to get one soon.

1. How did you turn off the amp,cab & mic sims  on the DT ?
  2. If I want to use the DT for a jam with just a guitar, will I need to reset the DT to use the amp models? 

Turned them off by midi command from the Helix.  It does not change the loaded models so when Helix is disconnected you can still use it standalone.

Turned them off by midi command from the Helix.  It does not change the loaded models so when Helix is disconnected you can still use it standalone.

Ok great,

What commands do you use?

How do you assign these commands to a footswitch?

I have read the manual a few times now and think its fairly straight forward  but wanted to get your input please.

Thanks 

I did a lot of experimentation and learning this weekend on using the DT25 with my new Helix. I found the full amps to be much louder than the preamps. What are you running your Helix Volume knob at? I'm at about 50% with full amps.

Used my DT25 - helix combination for the first time with a band.

Sounded absolutely fantastic! Cuts right through.

Compared to the HD500X - DT25 combination it's like a thivk blanket was taken of the amp!

I was pretty satisfied at the time but now I know better :) 

• Upvote 1

What commands do you use?   

How do you assign these commands to a footswitch?   I have read the manual a few times now and think its fairly straight forward  but wanted to get your input please.

read the L6 Link Midi Guide and the Helix manual for details and use the command center.  I posted a full setlist with all the amps, preamps and default cabs for use with the DT in another thread you can go through too.  Check out my patches to see how I set the midi up.  Very easy with Helix.

http://share.myflare.com/hB549Z

I did a lot of experimentation and learning this weekend on using the DT25 with my new Helix. I found the full amps to be much louder than the preamps. What are you running your Helix Volume knob at? I'm at about 50% with full amps.

I found the preamps were all over the map in terms of volume but the full amps were fairly close.  I like the full amps with no cab best.  In fact losing the Helix modeled power section takes away the very character of the amp you are modeling, even when running through the DT.

You can play around with the master levels but I try to keep the Helix above 50%, even if I have to lower the DT.  Line 6 recommends the Helix be up as high as possible to get the best signal to noise ratios.  When possible I will keep the Helix maxed out and adjust on the DT.  Contrary to some thoughts, raising the DT master level does not increase the "tubey"-ness...

I found the preamps were all over the map in terms of volume but the full amps were fairly close.  I like the full amps with no cab best.  In fact losing the Helix modeled power section takes away the very character of the amp you are modeling, even when running through the DT.

You can play around with the master levels but I try to keep the Helix above 50%, even if I have to lower the DT.  Line 6 recommends the Helix be up as high as possible to get the best signal to noise ratios.  When possible I will keep the Helix maxed out and adjust on the DT.  Contrary to some thoughts, raising the DT master level does not increase the "tubey"-ness...

Thanks for the tips. I learned a lot by downloading your set. I noticed that the full amp only with no cab tends to have a lot of high frequency fizz. I put a high/low cut after the amp block to cut off these frequencies above 9k. That helps a bunch.

The full amps do sound more articulate and cut through a mix much better in my opinion. I can't write off the pre-amps just yet; still experimenting. Pre-amps do vary volume more. Some of this can be adjusted in the channel and master volume settings.

My next step is to go buy Glenn's patches and experiment with those through my DT25.

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...

Hello,

You can see my set-up on the photo.

I use the Mesa Boogie 295 stereo poweramp for the two marshalls,the middle cabinet to the Randall solid state amp.

I connected the Helix LT to the inputs of the poweramp and to the return of the Randall for a wet dry wet setup.

I used the preamps in the unit and changed the outputs from the Helix to instrument.It doesn't sound good...

i use it with my rcf speakers and that's ok.

But i want to play it thru my guitar setup.

What is wrong,what is connected wrong???

I don't know.

Can it be that the poweramp and Randall are not neutral amps...??

The marshall cabs...???

I like to hear from you people here what's the solution.

When i connect a marshall shredmaster pedal to the send and return of the Helix and i just use that and the effects from the Helix it sounds super,but not with the amp section of the Helix.

Thanks alot,

Robin 

No picture. It won't open. Message that comes up implies that it is corrupt. The two Marshalls are probably not neutral. Speakers generally affect the sound more than the poweramp. Try the amps in the Helix without the cabs. I had a Vetta head and ran it through a Marshall 1960A. It definietely has it's own voice. I rarely used the Vetta's modelled cabs. BUT, once I got a "sound" I would quickly run through all of the cabs, treating them like a bunch of custom EQ's. About 1/3 the time, something nice would come through with one of the modelled cabs.

So my advice, run the Helix with the amps only, no cab. Once you get close to what you want, run through all the cabs to see what happens. There is the IR rabbit hole as well. Hope this helps